Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

lazyboy97o

It happens all the time. Hell, Walt canned his original concept for Pirates after they had actually installed the steel for the attraction. People change their minds.
Something like Pirates of the Caribbean is incredibly rare, nowhere near common. Adjustments to unknown conditions or cuts to stay in budget are nowhere near the same as Pirates of the Caribbean or what was suggested.

Rupert901

To each their own, as I understand it was groundbreaking in it's time... but Snow White doesn't hold up. I actually think a lot of the Walt era films still are pretty entertainment despite their age, but Snow White is like 85% setting up the plot and random singing and then rushing through the actually climax and resolution.
The singing is hardly "random," quite the opposite: the musical numbers are very well integrated into the narrative. As for "rushing," the leisurely pace is intentional: in addition to the songs, most of the film's appeal comes from the personalities of the dwarfs and Snow White as opposed to any vagaries of the plot: we couldn't "get to know" the dwarfs if it wasn't paced the way it is. That said, the climax hardly feels rushed, it is just long enough for the purposes of the film. I've never seen Moana but if it is anything like much of Disney's (and even Pixar since Disney's acquisition) recent output it is a cynical "by-committee" corporate product pandering to the vulgar that will hardly be remembered in another decade.

Disone

A friend of mine sent this to me, and it closely matches my expectations of this "attraction" and the redeveloped Epcot over all.
IMG_3296.jpg

Sir_Cliff

Known what? I’m camped out for the Brazil, Spain and Australia pavilions announcements and I can only get a cell signal if I wrap aluminun foil around my earlobes and my underwear...
I think the reason I most want to see a Brazil pavilion is so we can stop seeing this in every single rumor thread. At this point, I'd settle for a caipirinha stand and Havianas store surrounded by palm trees to stop the smug assertions it will never happen patronisingly delivered to someone with actual inside knowledge.

Who am I kidding? It will never end...

Last edited:

SirWillow

Is Ford91 back on here? All the negatives comments! I'm just glad that Moana is finally getting a permanent spot in the parks. A meet and greet would be outstanding, and I would expect nothing less.

If you're expecting nothing less than a meet and greet, I hope you're ready to be disappointed.

I would absolutely love to see a Moana meet and greet, but I'm not optimistic that is part of the plan. This is looking more like a garden walk through area with a few jumping fountains and a couple of waterfalls.

Capsin4

Disney has a track history of making great stuff so I'm predisposed to appreciating their work. The fact that you aren't is shocking and quite frankly pitiful because of what such predispositions deprive you of. And this isn't really a Disney thing - it applies to everything in life.
As disappointing as some of the more recent work has been, it’s even more so for those that are aware of what was going to be. Look no further than mine train, mermaid and Navi river.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the reason I most want to see a Brazil pavilion is so we can stop seeing this in every single rumor thread. At this point, I'd settle for a caipirinha stand and Havianas store surrounded by palm trees to stop the smug assertions it will never happen patronisingly delivered to someone with actual inside knowledge.

Who am I kidding? It will never end...

Agreed.

I’ll take something with a $75,000 budget at this point just so i don’t have to see new country rumors anymore. It’s been 30 freaking years...I’ll admit “I’m wrong” if we can move on.

rowrbazzle

I've never seen Moana but if it is anything like much of Disney's (and even Pixar since Disney's acquisition) recent output it is a cynical "by-committee" corporate product pandering to the vulgar that will hardly be remembered in another decade.

It's actually quite good and none of the things you described. Well, there probably was a committee at some point. But it's not cynical in the least, nor is it pandering or vulgar. I say this as someone who wasn't interested in the movie before it was released and didn't expect to actually like it. But now, with all the credibility a stranger on the Internet can provide, I highly recommend it. 👍

Figments Friend

It's not even about the popularity of Moana...And for the record I thought it was beautiful. I think this new water feature is very beautiful in it's concept art stage... My problem with it stems more from it's location making no sense at all. It looks and feels like Adventureland... It feels like it was designed for Animal Kingdom.... It does not jive well with a futuristic Sphere, Modernistic architecture and plazas which is what you are walking past at that moment you see it...and at the end of the water feature is another futuristic , modern Living Seas building...which also doesn't really seem to jive well with the rustic Polynesian vibe of the water feature... I am, at this point, not understanding the design direction for the new park... I am not predisposed to hating anything...I DO feel the the original design of the park was beautiful...well designed and inspiring... This new direction baffles me...

Agree fully.
A bit puzzling, indeed.

-

kpilcher

That's a nonsensical rationalization. It isn't mediocrity. You simply have chosen to predispose yourself to perceiving it as such.

And your reply describes perfectly why you're discontented with most of the things that the vast majority of Disney guests enjoy and shall be enjoying in the future.

You, putting yourself outside looking in, even shielded in your armor of feigned-righteous indignation - that's what will be the most pitiful.
1. He didn’t use rationalization there. Nonsensical or otherwise.
2. “Predispose...as such” : how can you know what he’s thinking or why?
3. “Armor of Blah blah blah” I appreciate you feel passionate about your opinion. You’re entitled to it. As someone else said, I don’t think he’s feigning anything.
4. Consider using flowery language only when it perfectly describes or illuminates your point. The vast majority of the time it doesn’t predispose anyone to perceive you as smarter or wiser. Just pretentious.
5. Your opinion is valid. So is his.
6. Going back to a previous point of yours: Disney’s track record (not history) shows it is perfectly capable of mediocrity or worse. It is also capable of brilliance. Judge each to your tastes. Primeval Whirl, for example is far from brilliant. I still think it’s a lot of fun when it spins. In contrast, I believe the waterfront seating area near Flame Tree to be an understated masterpiece of landscape, theme and waterscape design that improves the more I examine it.
But that’s my taste.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom