Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

SirWillow

it looks neat, and will be fun to walk through. But I don't see it as something that is going to draw people in. Much like the jumping fountains- people watch it for a few minutes, might play, but then move on and forget about them. Being Moana themed will help some, but it's not something I see people talking about much afterwards.

Unless they put a Moana meet and greet in the middle of it. Then that might keep their attention. Kind of like Ariel's meet and greet area at Disneyland.

ImperfectPixie

it looks neat, and will be fun to walk through. But I don't see it as something that is going to draw people in. Much like the jumping fountains- people watch it for a few minutes, might play, but then move on and forget about them. Being Moana themed will help some, but it's not something I see people talking about much afterwards.

Unless they put a Moana meet and greet in the middle of it. Then that might keep their attention. Kind of like Ariel's meet and greet area at Disneyland.
See...my family talks about the jumping fountains more than the rides. It stuff like that, and our boys playing on RC at AS Movies, one of them being chosen first by Crush, being picked out by Jack Sparrow during the parade, etc. that build the lasting memories for us.

SirWillow

See...my family talks about the jumping fountains more than the rides. It stuff like that, and our boys playing on RC at AS Movies, one of them being chosen first by Crush, being picked out by Jack Sparrow during the parade, etc. that build the lasting memories for us.

yes, but you've mentioned encounters with characters that can't happen anywhere but at Disney. That's a draw. Jumping fountains though can be found at a lot of other places around the world, and many of the ones I can think of are free to get to (shopping malls, a couple on the strip in Vegas- even Branson has some really neat ones at their outdoor shopping area next to a lake that is absolutely free to see).

That's why I said if they put Moana with a meet and greet in it, that can draw people. Then it's a Disney encounter. Without her, it's some neat landscaping and water, but nothing that people are going to spend $100/day/person on and be happy about that expenditure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just like with Snow White.

Oh, wait.
Hey...people Like Mickey Mouse too! If you want to use completely irrelevant non-sequiturs from pre WW2 😉
Of course it is a theme.

Maybe it isn't a theme you personally like and that's coloring your comments about it.
Right...they put “world” in all the parts...that’s a theme.

I like parts of the “world” where guardians of the galaxy and frozen have all Inclusive resorts.

Maybe “points” just aren’t your cup of tea?
Incorrect. It fits perfectly in Imagineering's vision of the future of the park.

It may not fit in your personal vision of what you would do if you had the power. Maybe Walt Disney World isn't your cup of tea anymore.
You can believe:
1. Imagineering has “a vision”
2. That this constitutes a coherent “theme”

But the smart money is on neither being true.
The IP enriches the theming of the park.
Nope. Showcase for technology and cultural representations. Neither have squat to do with IP
:hilarious:

Sorry Bob.
Right?
but what in the world is the theming of the park? I have absolutely no idea from what I have seen... It's all over the place....
To an untrained observer like me...it sure seems like they are picking the bones of what they find useful left from Epcot for spare parts and plugging IPs for future upsells in, under or on top the old stuff...and that’s not a theme.

But then I was told because they renamed part of the park and have “world” in every name...that actually makes it an awesome theme.

Who knew?
Or not. It really is each guest's own personal choice whether to shackle themselves to the past so tightly that they cannot brook with change.
We get it...it’s your happy place. When you go there, nothing else in the history of the universe matters. It’s understood.

...now can you be less sanctimonious when you try to act as though what I said above ISNT your thing?

Have a magical day.

Railfan Andrew

This Moana attraction has some of the most beautiful concept art I've ever seen.
Epcot Moana Attraction.JPG

doctornick

This thread is heavy on arguing (what else is new) and very light on details...

So I ask: what the heck actually is this "attraction"? The concept art doesn't look anything like a "splash pad" to me. Certainly I could be wrong, but what it looks like to me is a walk through with various water elements - waterfalls, jumping water, gushing springs, mini water curtains that are light up. Presumable the area will use songs from Moana and maybe other complimentary music (maybe some other Polynesian stuff). While it doesn't look like a "maze" in the getting lost type of way, it seems like there are multiple paths to be able to wonder around. I don't think it is intended toget people soaked, though perhaps you might get misted.

So, if I'm correct, this is a juiced up walk through/water feature combo. Personally, I lament Disney not developing low key walk through attractions any more, so I think that's a potential plus and complimentary to the park. Hopefully we'll hear more on Sunday.

doctornick

5 mins for comparing moana to snow white...
in any way
:p

To each their own, as I understand it was groundbreaking in it's time... but Snow White doesn't hold up. I actually think a lot of the Walt era films still are pretty entertaining despite their age, but Snow White is like 85% setting up the plot and random singing and then rushing through the actual climax and resolution.

I actually think Moana is a far better film. And I'm not even that big a fan of Moana.

Last edited:

MrPromey

True, right now it is not, which is disappointing. However, if Guardians turns out to be about energy, Moana about water, Coco about music, etc., I'm all for it.

Coco is the only one that isn’t a stretch. As a movie that at it’s core features traditional Mexican culture, it may be the only IP there are currently rumblings of them adding that truly fits in the classic sense because it would literally require no explanation or convoluted backstory to justify if done in Mexico and the funny part is, that’s the one that isn’t even confirmed.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
This thread is heavy on arguing (what else is new) and very light on details...

So I ask: what the heck actually is this "attraction"? The concept art doesn't look anything like a "splash pad" to me. Certainly I could be wrong, but what it looks like to me is a walk through with various water elements - waterfalls, jumping water, gushing springs, mini water curtains that are light up. Presumable the area will use songs from Moana and maybe other complimentary music (maybe some other Polynesian stuff). While it doesn't look like a "maze" in the getting lost type of way, it seems like there are multiple paths to be able to wonder around. I don't think it is intended toget people soaked, though perhaps you might get misted.

So, if I'm correct, this is a juiced up walk through/water feature combo. Personally, I lament Disney not developing low key walk through attractions any more, so I think that's a potential plus and complimentary to the park. Hopefully we'll hear more on Sunday.
I don’t care what they tell us on Sunday, I want exactly what you just described! I could see toddlers to 90 year olds being equally delighted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom