HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

lazyboy97o

Does any Disney castle make sense architecturally? They're all a mix of Romanesque, Gothic, and other styles. I see no issue with adding some Russian Revival, Tudor, and Rococo elements to one of them to make it stand out and at least it has a pleasing shape that draws the eye up that doesn't look like a box with sticks on it like Shanghai's .
Yes, they do make sense. That you point to Romanesque and Gothic as examples of this mixing of elements is a great example of their sense. Gothic design is a progression from Romanesque design, so to the two very much part of the same story in architectural history. The Chinese castles are hodgepodges of stuff more concerned with being able to fit a merchandise franchise than create a strong architectural image.

ParkPeeker

Yes, they do make sense. That you point to Romanesque and Gothic as examples of this mixing of elements is a great example of their sense. Gothic design is a progression from Romanesque design, so to the two very much part of the same story in architectural history. The Chinese castles are hodgepodges of stuff more concerned with being able to fit a merchandise franchise than create a strong architectural image.
You act like romanesque or gothic architecture doesn't have domes. Yea go ahead and say shanghai's castle is a hodgepodge that doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Disneylover152

ParkPeeker

Shanghai's isn't a hodgepodge like HK will be. Shanghai's (in my eyes) is ugly. Not even talking about the boxy exterior from certain angles, even from the front it just looks ugly to me. I do not like the redness of it.
Yea it does look very sunburnt. They should repaint it lol

ParkPeeker

All of it. Everything from massing, to proportion, to scale to ornament. It’s just lots of stuff for the sake of being big with lots of stuff on it.
I can only make educated guesses as to what those are, but it sounds to me that has less to do with architecture making sense and more to do with just how it looks.

PymParty

(photo courtesy of HKDL of Fantasy on Twitter)

Looking at this construction update of Frozen land in HKDL, I spotted something that had never been mentioned before : the sides of the IASM show building are now being covered by scrims.
So I had an idea and wondered if this was possible in reality. We all know that the floor area reserved for the Sleighs coaster is extremely small to make it a decent size family coaster (it is supposed to use the footprint previously planed for a flat ride).
It may sound crazy, but what if Disney decided to build part of the coaster on the top (or a least leaning on the sides) of the showbuilding of IASM ? This would free up a lot, of space and even reduce costs on building a whole new structure for the coaster.
In a way or another, the building will have to be themed.

Please tell me if you think this is possible and what you think about it. I hope we get new info at D23 this Sunday !

Last edited:

HKDLer

View attachment 400505
(photo courtesy of HKDL of Fantasy on Twitter)

Looking at this construction update of Frozen land in HKDL, I spotted something that had never been mentioned before : the sides of the IASM show building are now being covered by scrims.
So I had an idea and wondered if this was possible in reality. We all know that the floor area reserved for the Sleighs coaster is extremely small to make it a decent size family coaster (it is supposed to use the footprint previously planed for a flat ride).
It may sound crazy, but what if Disney decided to build part of the coaster on the top (or a least leaning on the sides) of the showbuilding of IASM ? This would free up a lot, of space and even reduce costs on building a whole new structure for the coaster.
In a way or another, the building will have to be themed.
GOTG confirmed for HK!
C4FBCFD5-C59F-4D25-AF94-0610C0E64AA0.jpeg

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Oh it’s a little taller than Paris!

I really wanted to get the 2017 pin set but I heard it sold out in no time. I’m sure this one will be no different tomorrow!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom