News D23 Expo 2019

djkidkaz

To me, WDW should essentially fill this panel. This is the last D23 that they can announce anything for the 50th of actual scale. The next one would be in August of 2021 just a month or more shy of the 50th. By then it all needs to be announced so people are excited and booked and showing up for the event. You’ve got universal building another park down the road, now is the time to unleash it all to compete and say “yeah they are building that, but look at all of what we are doing!!” If there are anymore large scale projects in the works they need to be announced this weekend so they can start construction on them ASAP! Not everything Disney does makes it on to this board. We end up putting together some rumors here and there that come to fruition but they always get us with surprises. Either way, it’s only a few days away so we will all know soon enough.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No that makes perfect sense with what I have been feeling on various other Disney updates. While I have not been to SWGE, the lack of classic Star Wars IP has me feeling that I will be hard pressed to have a really emotional connection to the expansion. I guess time will tell if the younger generations become attached to the new movies/characters. And perhaps Rise of the Resistance will be as good as promised....

When Avatar was announced as an addition to AK I was laughing. But having been there a few times, I think they managed to pull off an immersive and cohesive addition, one that I can enjoy without having any sentimental attachments to the movie.

I'll be interested to hear yours and others thoughts on SWGE. The headlines all seem to laud their newest attempt. But the rumblings of mismanaged IP continue to grow...

Bingo...

And to comment on avatar...it’s the fact that NOBODY could remember a thing about the movie that makes the land good. We all go in basically “clean slate”...and the land grows on us without strings attached as we go back.

That is the polar opposite of Star Wars...the most fondly reflected on IP in modern movie history.

We can’t “turn off” our attachment to the OT...and not referencing it makes it hollow for most of the paying audience.

I spent as much time looking at the stuffed tauntauns and Wampas (a sign of things to come)...than I did the abrams ship mockups. How can that be?

They got screwed a little on timing. They misinterpreted what TFA really was. So when they designed this in 15-17...the pretense was off.

TFA was:
1. An event
2. A mediocre movie
3. A below average STAR WARS movie (mostly due to it being a reboot they lie to themselves about)

Not theme park material.

Just as an anecdote: I liked the cantina (even though capacity is embarassing)...but I thought the same thing over and over again:
This SHOULD be jabba’s palace.

Others wanted the cantina from mos eisley.

(there’s a correlation there between those opinions)

We are BOTH right...Disney was wrong.

They should alter the Star Wars Hotel to go OT now...while they can. You own it...use it.

Ok...back to park announcements...sorry for the tangent

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From what I’ve gathered, Epcot was designed to swallow MK level crowds without feeling as mobbed as the MK. The place is huge and deserves much more than what management has let it become. I say this as someone who saw Epcot in the mid to late 80’s and never forgot it. The original FW pavilions alone could handle 24k people per hour.

MK, Epcot, and dak are designed to swallow huge crowds...with Epcot and dak being the two most likely to swallow a big body blow.

Studios was only 1/3-1/4 the size when built...and is only sunset boulevard bigger today.
Even when they open Star Wars...which is big...it won’t matter much because there’s not enough in it!!! Just saw it...that’s how this is gonna play

WDW Pro

Does Epcot have any expansion pads besides the WS ones?

Yes. Epcot is easily expanded.

What on earth about what they’ve done makes you think mgm is “full day”?

Nothing of the sort...in fact - by not expanding footprint to accommodate full day crowds now - they basically locked it in for what it will be: a small collection of rides on a small footprint

Notice I said what the aim was, not how well it was executed. Not only do I think they failed to make DHS a full day park, I actually think they harmed its prior position.

kevlightyear

It makes sense from their viewpoint that they wouldn't give you their most popular panel for free.
This is short-sighted. The panel should be broadcast as far and wide as they can get it. Why would Disney want their new attractions being advertised through the lenses of bloggers when they quite literally have the stage all to themselves. Apple learned this lesson, which is why they livestream their events. Disney is 'the brand', but they don't want people to hear about the event directly from them? Ridiculous.

The lure of the expo is to be there when it happens. See people in real life. The smaller panels are the ones that should be attendees only. Livestreaming the important panels so as many people as possible can see them is just good business. Would you rather have 7K people watch your 40 minute advertisement or 200K+?

wdwfan4ver

I think focusing on the Epcot stuff as something “new” to counter the Uni 3rd gate will come off as a letdown. It’s not new. It’s stuff that should have been done a decade ago. The parks, all of them, still need actual new things and expansions. Give us actual rides and attractions, not more rip and replace.
The thing is I think people that follows rumors of Disney know the changes to Epcot are not a response to the Uni 3rd gate. The thing is the 2017 D23, Bob Chapek did mention a redo of Epcot although it was vague. That it self shows Disney was going to plan Epcot even if Uni did not announce their 3rd theme park gate.

Disney is the same company that took took over a year to respond to Potter opening by announcing Pandora. If you go by Universal first announcing Potter, it is even longer. That means Disney does not like to respond right away.

If there is a response to the Uni 3rd gate it would be after the 3rd gate opens. My reasoning Disney right now wants sit on its Laurels after Galaxy's Edge and Mickey & Minnie's Runway railway is completed just like they doing towards AK right now. I have feeling that Disney has the attitude of they don't need to add anything to MK after Tron Coaster is open.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The lure of the expo is to be there when it happens. See people in real life. The smaller panels are the ones that should be attendees only. Livestreaming the important panels so as many people as possible can see them is just good business. Would you rather have 7K people watch your 40 minute advertisement or 200K+?

Which one makes them more money?

DisneyOutsider

This is short-sighted. The panel should be broadcast as far and wide as they can get it. Why would Disney want their new attractions being advertised through the lenses of bloggers when they quite literally have the stage all to themselves. Apple learned this lesson, which is why they livestream their events. Disney is 'the brand', but they don't want people to hear about the event directly from them? Ridiculous.

The Apple events are press events only - they do not charge admission as far as I know (It's invite-only). Sure I'd love it if they live streamed the parks panel, but it's not hard to understand why they don't.

Disney knows the panel will be broadcast by their fans, who also function as their most effective press. They give their bloggers the privilege of being "first" to continue to build up their followings and give Disney puff-piece reviews to the events that they get free tickets to. Disney understands that an exciting update from a well-liked blogger is much more valuable than a Disney Parks Blog press release. Every important piece of info will instantly be accessible the second the panel is done, anyways.

It was advantageous for Apple to broadcast back when they had Steve Jobs. It's not like having Bob Chapek be your messenger is going to give you any advantages as far as perceptions go.

DisneyOutsider

Not Mike. Stop instigating fights. That's the reason this board has a terrible and toxic reputation.

You literally made this account to instigate. Your first post was to make a baseless accusation about a longtime member with nothing to back up your claims. Do you need reminding?

Multiple posters have come onto this site to warn what posters are here working for the company.
These posters are always banned or disappear.

Notice that a person who seems to comment on every thread, day or night without seeming to have time to sleep, hasn't posted anything on this thread? These posters in question always seem to be able to break rules by being out of line, mean, nasty, cruel, and rude without getting their posts deleted or getting banned from this site while people who last back at the aforementioned posters get their responses deleted. Ever wonder why?

There are multiple people who are employed by Disney to gas up some spin on this board and the other Disney boards. It is not hard to figure out who they are.

This board is the big-leagues of WDW discussion. Judging by how quickly you turn around and play the victim card after playing cowardly finger-pointing games, I think maybe you're not cut-out for this "toxic" place.

kevlightyear

Which one makes them more money?
I would argue they would still sellout even if they live-streamed the big panels.

The Apple events are press events only - they do not charge admission as far as I know (It's invite-only). Sure I'd love it if they live streamed the parks panel, but it's not hard to understand why they don't.

Disney knows the panel will be broadcast by their fans, who also function as their most effective press. They give their bloggers the privilege of being "first" to continue to build up their followings and give Disney puff-piece reviews to the events that they get free tickets to. Disney understands that an exciting update from a well-liked blogger is much more valuable than a Disney Parks Blog press release. Every important piece of info will instantly be accessible the second the panel is done, anyways.

It was advantageous for Apple to broadcast back when they had Steve Jobs. It's not like having Bob Chapek be your messenger is going to give you any advantages as far as perceptions go.

Yes, press and developers (in the case of WWDC). It's not just Apple, though--lots of tech companies broadcast their events. Good point about Chapek--he's a snore.

By all means invite the bloggers, give them special access even. But the majority of the 7K people at the panel are not bloggers/influencers, they are fans. A blogger update is more valuable than a press release but a direct contact (aka livestream) with a customer is more valuable than both. And it would be watched over and over.

Why do you think timeshare presentations always come with free gifts? Because they want your attention and are willing to pay for it. People are begging to see this 40 minute presentation--let them!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I would argue they would still sellout even if they live-streamed the big panels.

Yes, press and developers (in the case of WWDC). It's not just Apple, though--lots of tech companies broadcast their events. Good point about Chapek--he's a snore.

By all means invite the bloggers, give them special access even. But the majority of the 7K people at the panel are not bloggers/influencers, they are fans. A blogger update is more valuable than a press release but a direct contact (aka livestream) with a customer is more valuable than both. And it would be watched over and over.

Why do you think timeshare presentations always come with free gifts? Because they want your attention and are willing to pay for it. People are begging to see this 40 minute presentation--let them!

Oh yes, they'd still sell out, without a doubt. But remember, this is today's TWDC, where profit is king. If they can sell 20k tickets vs. sell 7k tickets plus have a livestream that 1 bajillion people could watch for free, you and I both know what's going to win (unless they somehow managed to convince the suckers to pay sell access to the livestream). But they know they can sell out an event like this, and livestreams cost money, so this is what we get, like it or not. :(

DisneyOutsider

What I wouldn't be surprised to see them do is offer you an online live-stream pass... for $25 (free if you're a D23 member)

I just think to Disney this event is every bit about generating max event revenue as it is about engaging the public. It's not off-base to call that short-sighted... but I'm also not convinced that putting out their own live-stream adds a wealth of value.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom