Sony & MARVEL are friends again; Spider-Man is back in the MCU

bclane

Of all the crazy Disney news that’s come out over the last couple days, this one hits me the hardest. Holland is perfect for the role and Spidey has always been my favorite super hero and his presence in the MCU has been on point. I really hope they come to their senses and work this out. I mean it’s just entertainment, but this truly sucks.

Princess Leia

Sony would be moronic to walk away from this partnership. They have already proven, time and time again, that they cannot produce a worthwhile spiderman film (except for the first one). They should learn from their title character, "with great power comes great responsibility"- do the right thing Sony, stop being greedy, and realize you need the help. I don't wan't another reboot and can't stand to watch Uncle Ben die for the 100th time. The last two spiderman movies have been excellent because of Marvel, not in spite of it.
I mean, Into the Spiderverse was pretty fantastic, and that was Sony

champdisney

Relax people. Give Uncle Bobby a couple of days to think of a strategy and if all fails... there’s always a blank check with Amy’s name on it. 😉

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sony would be moronic to walk away from this partnership. They have already proven, time and time again, that they cannot produce a worthwhile spiderman film (except for the first one). They should learn from their title character, "with great power comes great responsibility"- do the right thing Sony, stop being greedy, and realize you need the help. I don't wan't another reboot and can't stand to watch Uncle Ben die for the 100th time. The last two spiderman movies have been excellent because of Marvel, not in spite of it.

I don’t think Sony is being the greedy one here.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
I jumped on social media and the idiots on Twitter are claiming that since the partnership is dissolved, that means Tom Holland is out as Spider-Man. Like no article has claimed that at all.

seascape

What was the financing structure for Homecoming and Far From Home?

The early reports I’ve seen indicate Marvel 5%, Sony 95% on first dollar grosses. Sony 100% should balk at giving up 50% of their most profitable franchise.
I agree with you that Sony made the only decision they could. Personally I want Disney to buy all the Marvel rights back from Sony but if they can't they should offer to buy whatever percentage Sony is willing to sell but it should include the existing Sony Spiderman library.

Animaniac93-98

As I said in another thread Sony has their own Spider-Verse planned as has for years.

Their first animated Spider movie won an Oscar.

Venom made big bucks, even if people thought it was dumb.

They have huge confidence in themselves at this point with the property.

Animaniac93-98

What was the financing structure for Homecoming and Far From Home?

The early reports I’ve seen indicate Marvel 5%, Sony 95% on first dollar grosses. Sony 100% should balk at giving up 50% of their most profitable franchise.

Sony only makes money off Spider-Man movies in theatres and home video.

Disney already gets ALL the merch money.

Sony gets almost nothing out of giving up half the movie profit. It's not worth it for an MCU cameo or name drop.

Outbound

The deal was 5% Disney, 95% Sony. Disney started this kerfuffle by requesting a 50/50 deal.

Here's a chart of all the Spider-Man movies and their total gross:

FILMTOTAL PROFITS (in millions)SONY'S PROFITS (in millions)
Spider-Man$821.7$821.7
Spider-Man 2$783.8$783.8
Spider-Man 3$890.9$890.9
The Amazing Spider-Man$757.9$757.9
The Amazing Spider-Man 2$709.0$709.0
Spider-Man: Homecoming$880.2$836.19
Spider-Man: Far from Home$1,109.9$1,054.41
Theoretical Third MCU Spider Man$1,109.9$554.95

As much as I hate Sony's decision, I do see the logic in it. Disney is being absurdly greedy. Had they accepted the 50/50 deal, Sony would be making less money than any other film... despite it breaking records. A shame these two mega-corporations can't put aside their desire for cash and put out art, like Walt... :(

pwnbeaver

Disney makes 100% of the profit from everything to do with the character except box office receipts. They ask Sony to give up half the box office receipts.

Not a single person in their right mind says yes to this.

Sony should tell them to pound sand and not compromise at all. Disney makes way too much money off of Spidey merch to ask for more profit. If they want it so bad, they should just outright buy the movie rights to the character back.

Pure greed on the part of Disney.

Animaniac93-98

From a continuity standpoint how could they move forward. His entire look now is entirely tied to Stark. He has to give the suit and glasses back now?

They give him a slightly different suit that's similar enough, but not so much to anger lawyers.

The only thing Sony cares about is making money. If they think they can do so by setting up an alternate universe or ignoring plot points they will. Don't think they wouldn't try. Disney is overestimating Sony's view of their importance in the existing relationship, whether or not Sony should stick with them or that the live-action Spider-Man movies have been much better because of it.

Frank the Tank

As I said in another thread Sony has their own Spider-Verse planned as has for years.

Their first animated Spider movie won an Oscar.

Venom made big bucks, even if people thought it was dumb.

They have huge confidence in themselves at this point with the property.

That’s probably true... and that’s the problem. It has been only 5 years since they almost killed the franchise entirely.

To be sure, the 50/50 split that Disney was asking for had to be rejected by Sony. I don’t blame them for that at all. However, I’d be surprised if this eventually doesn’t settle at a different split level such as 70/30 or 80/20. Sony and Disney don’t *need* each other per se, but they’re ultimately better off working together.

Prince-1

Relax. This is all negotiating and posturing on both sides. I don’t think for a second that this is going to actually happen. Sony does not have a great track record with making great Spider-Man films (except the original two) and Marvel isn’t going to want to give up arguably the biggest character in the MCU.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom