News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

DoleWhipDrea

First of all *hi!* Longtime lurker who was going to jump in the Imagination Pavilion discussion until all of this drama came out!

Iger always has these scapegoats. When Shanghai blew up in his face and bad news started trickling into American media he threw it all on Tom Staggs and had him take the fall.
Exactly.

Who was the man that spearheaded the original plans for SWGE? Tom Staggs. Who was the guy being looked at to succeed Bob Iger back several years ago? Tom Staggs. Who ended up leaving TWDC and having his former role filled by Bob Chapek? Tom Staggs.

Iger keeps saying he’ll move on from TWDC and then he postpones the plans by a few years, and he’s done this multiple times. The latest report from April 2019 states that he’ll leave sometime in 2021 when his contract expires. But will he? He keeps getting sizely bonuses year after year. He keeps finding new businesses to buy to make Disney bigger and bigger. He’s only going to leave when he really wants to.

It’s easy to delay his departure by calling into question who will be his worthy successor. And he certainly can’t leave when it looks like he might have seriously dropped the ball. Chapek, therefore, must be the scapegoat if Iger’s aspirations will be eventually realized.

DCLcruiser

Obviously Downey wouldn't be, his presence would have tho. This Spiderman is defined by his connection to iron Man. He had an arc to complete and now it can't be. I mean it shows him basically becoming the new tony Stark. The scene in the airplane of making his suit was plainly obvious. There is no.way they can continue with him in any coherent way.
I thought that part was a stretch and unnecessary. The end of the latest movie bringing the story back to his Newspaper boss is an attempt at returning to the traditional story.

Yes. But if they use the same actor people are going to rightly expect a continuation of the character from the mcu. That's why Holland will be out.
Yes, but they just don't have to go there. The story is whatever they write.

the_rich

I thought that part was a stretch and unnecessary. The end of the latest movie bringing the story back to his Newspaper boss is an attempt at returning to the traditional story.
He's still using Stark tech and his whole arc is defined by Stark. The ending of the last movie doesn't even have Jameson at a newspaper, let alone as his boss. I'd bet my house that they replace Holland.

DCLcruiser

He's still using Stark tech and his whole arc is defined by Stark. The ending of the last movie doesn't even have Jameson at a newspaper, let alone as his boss. I'd bet my house that they replace Holland.
EDIT: I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS! Spider Man sees that the Daily Bugle has outed him and spews a hate campaign...so, Peter Parker becomes an employee of the Daily Bugle to try and steer the narrative in his favor...

I knew this topic had to do with the OP!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wasn't involved in the fandom back then. Do you recall if there was a disclaimer to that effect in each article?
No.. it was an evolution. That was the rub at the time... they tried to use the mileage brand... and copied the writing style... but fell short of callit it al. But this was after a dwindling time of output. Only later did they publically acknowledge al’s condition and that the articles were coming from “staff”. They tried to hide it and eventually changed their bylines

the_rich

Yes, but they just don't have to go there. The story is whatever they write.
Then the movie will flop because the story will make no sense.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The best part is all the newish posters coming into these threads to either (a) ask why this is a big deal and suggest subtly that we should stop talking about it or (b) throw up diversions like Spiderman, SWGE, etc. to try to derail the thread.

The worst part is when a long time poster does that with the wildly comical expectation such a tactic works around here.

disneyflush

The best part is all the newish posters coming into these threads to either (a) ask why this is a big deal and suggest subtly that we should stop talking about it or (b) throw up diversions like Spiderman, SWGE, etc. to try to derail the thread.

And the old reliables who answer the 'Disney is in Danger!' call without fail. jt, jimmy, etc....just form like Voltron to try and redirect as needed. jt has such amazing passion and loyalty to a place he doesn't visit.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's quite possible that TWDC failed to understand or appreciate that hardcore Star Wars fans and hardcore Disney Parks fans aren't the same beast. Yes, there is overlap but the expectations and desires of each group aren't completely in synch. In fact, they probably differ to a degree at some important, fundamental levels.

Disney didn’t need to focus on “hardcore Star Wars fans”... they literally have millions of lesser fans visiting and buying their Star Wars mech like mad. I mean, have you not seen how much SW stuff people wear in the parks over the last 5 years? Or the number of people flocking to the convention... or the dhs events, Star Wars weekends, and more.

Disney went with a diffenrt type of theme park experience... and like many things, when you only go halfway... you often end up with way less than half.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Micechat outted him including the fact that he used a Disney email address.

I keep seeing people say that but that’s not what I remember? I though he said “Troy porter email”... not specifically a Disney email. Did I miss that?

Edit: he said “email that belongs to Troy porter”. Where this extra Disney email but coming from?

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Disney didn’t need to focus on “hardcore Star Wars fans”... they literally have millions of lesser fans visiting and buying their Star Wars mech like mad.

The hardcore fans, much like the movies are more apt to be repeat visitors. There were people who made pilgrimages for Star Wars Weekends. The hardcore fans would come frequently (and spend frequently). Not taking them into consideration was foolish. I think there could have been a middle-ground.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom