News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Rodan75

I’d like to think my point of view is my own. Coz it is! If anything I’ve consciously been trying to curtail my personal thoughts and criticisms recently. My depression was getting even me down.

I’m certainly not trying to get across anyone else’s point of view. Nor would I try.

Even if I don't always agree with your PoV, I do appreciate it.

I took your recent criticisms more as a reflection of your love for Epcot more than anything. And nearly everyone here has a very distinct personal view of Epcot that is tricky to navigate.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Thanks. This is mind boggling to me. It's like when a job asks for your social security card to prove your SSN. They go and look everything up in the computer anyway so why the name and numbers on a piece of cardboard
I seem to recall a thread about someone in a passholer line without their card... you probably don't want to repeat that, eh?

SteamboatJoe

Because the idea of it being a "failure" is more manipulation. Anyone could easily post a photo of a nearly empty area with just one or two people. I saw a live stream Sunday and GE in Disneyland was far from empty. Perception is everything.

No one wanted to listen as I reminded folks that APs, Castmembers, etc. were blocked out. Now we see the crowds once again descending on Disneyland.

Another problem very few talk about is that signage to the land doesn't really exist so the entry ways aren't as obvious, apparently, supposedly.

The land itself just doesn't necessarily "fit" Disneyland. It'd have been better in a third park with Marvel and other properties. Maybe a Port-esque concept. The land as designed feels more like it belongs in DHS. And it's Florida. I can pretty much guarantee the land won't be a 'failure' in Florida.

And many fanbois of the franchise are too busy whining that you can't meet Luke. You never could. He was only at Star Wars Weekends. They need to get over that it isn't Hoth or Tatooine and appreciate the land Disney built. We all beg for ORIGINAL CONTENT and then they do and they get ripped apart.

I think it was the best choice to go with a new planet. I mean, I feel like we live in a strange world when that's now a problem, lol.

And back to the "expose"

I mean, why are folks not seeing that the latest "Lutz" column read like a TP2000 post? Maybe TP just cleverly copies the style but nah. It's him and it was. That doesn't mean the real Al doesn't exist and didn't write columns. The man is battling Parkinson's apparently, why would he waste his time on writing a scathing article against Chapek and SWLand? And then TP2000 ran to the Disneyland forum and, using bold font face, proudly announced "Al Lutz's" return. I mean, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ... it's a duck, folks.

But it doesn't matter to me really, I like TP and his posts and I don't really care if he did ghostwrite for Al Lutz. Not like we haven't had ghostwriters in our history ;)

None of this is *that* unbelievable.
It's quite possible that TWDC failed to understand or appreciate that hardcore Star Wars fans and hardcore Disney Parks fans aren't the same beast. Yes, there is overlap but the expectations and desires of each group aren't completely in synch. In fact, they probably differ to a degree at some important, fundamental levels.

Rodan75

We’ve talked about it in the Studios and DL threads, and every fan forum is talking about it, and that makes me suspect Snyder dropped his article to point out that while we’re all blaming Chapek, nobody in the top ranks is blameless for the current state of the company.

I want Disney to be extremely successful! I worked for them for years and I’m a stockholder. I also miss the days when they shot for long-term plans instead of buying up a bunch of other companies and focusing on short-term profits.

Speaking objectively, the SWGE opening wasn’t as successful as Disney hoped, but it also wasn’t a failure. But when you’re a company that only releases tentpole films making billions or hundreds of millions several times a year, you start foolishly expecting everything to be an outrageous success; and when it isn’t, your knee-jerk reaction is to call it a failure, which is exactly what people within the company were lamenting.

“The sky is falling, the sky(walker) is falling.” No, you just blocked too many APs and made some awkward creative decisions that led to poor word of mouth among fans.

I agree with what you say, but it wasn't only the company that pounced, but also fans and anti-fans(?) that were waiting with baited breath for any sign of weakness. They thought they had it with Shanghai when it wasn't spectacular, but when it proved solidly successful if not a raging phenomenon the criticism faded out. The second that SWGE didn't hit all expectations they pounced again, but like you say. It isn't a failure it just isn't as good or as big as we had hoped (or they promised). I don't see regime change over something this small.

Bender123

I’d like to think my point of view is my own. Coz it is! If anything I’ve consciously been trying to curtail my personal thoughts and criticisms recently. My depression was getting even me down.

I’m certainly not trying to get across anyone else’s point of view. Nor would I try. I’d like to think anyone with half a grey cell can offer their own opinion or see though an ulterior motive. What I may do is try and explain my point of view, but would never assume anyone should blindly believe me. Just like now. You may or you may not. I can’t change that. Nor should it worry me. I’ve bluntly said elsewhere previously I don’t care if I’m believed. I don’t do it to be placed on a pedestal.

But nor do I do it for a third party. I do it since deep down I’m still a fan.

I just don't understand why it would be in Disneys interest to blast their own projects as out of keeping with creators intent, as you tend to do..."Al" included...It makes it really hard to wrap my head around this, as the only possible use would be internal backstabbing.

WildcatDen

Because there are articles being pushed through by Disney from people you are supposed to trust. That every insider you've ever heard from has someone on the other side playing us and just using them as a medium.

I love @marni1971 - the guy is awesome. But now you have to realize that whoever is giving him information, unless the source is the direct source and a personal friend of his just telling Marni info because he's his friend; That he is giving that info with ulterior motives. Marni doesn't have ulterior motives; he is as stand up an individual and fan as they come, but the information does. It's there to play us, gauge reaction, or even throw employees of Disney under the bus and forge alliances.

We already knew this at the surface, but we never really knew it with proof. The more people I speak to, and the more information I get, I'm leaning more and more towards that whole article being 100% accurate. Petty? Yes. But accurate.
Makes me really wonder on who Serpico was/is. I shared less than a third of what was provided and I believe that may have been why the flow of information stopped.

ImperfectPixie

I just don't understand why it would be in Disneys interest to blast their own projects as out of keeping with creators intent, as you tend to do..."Al" included...It makes it really hard to wrap my head around this, as the only possible use would be internal backstabbing.
Manipulating public perception of particular projects and the executives involved=manipulating career trajectories=possible personal gain/desired people in specific positions.

Just to be clear myself, I think @marni1971 does a good job of being clear what is opinion and what is not.

Jeffxz

If this link is the TP2000 form usenet. Here is a message from the same user who says he works at Disneyland and signs off on the response as Troy.

TP2...@webtv.net

Tamara,
I work at Disneyland and VERY RARELY does anyone ever get "hurt" while
on a ride or attraction. We're talking maybe once a year. Considering
Disneyland is open 365 days a year, with thousands and thousands
visiting over 60 rides and attractions a day, that is an amazing
statistic. And you can count on one hand the incidents that were
determined to be the Park's fault on one hand in it's 43 year history.
The vast majority of injuries on rides over the years were due to guests
not obeying safety instructions or engaging in ridiculously idiotic
behavior.
However, there are usually several paramedics calls a day to
Disneyland. On busy days in summer, there can be a dozen or more. The
vast majority of them involve guests having seizures or other
preexisting medical conditions, guests that are drunk or under the
influence of drugs that are taken to the hospital before being handed
over the the Anaheim police, or guests that trip and sprain an ankle or
something while running to get to Space Mountain or while playing on
fences or benches.
As long as you behave reasonably responsible, you are unbelievably
safe in the Magic Kingdom.
-Troy

Edit to Add: I also found these additional messages where he signs off as Troy

Last edited:

Bender123

Manipulating public perception of particular projects and the executives involved=manipulating career trajectories=possible personal gain/desired people in specific positions.

Just to be clear myself, I think @marni1971 does a good job of being clear what is opinion and what is not.

I get that...I just don't know why we would say its "Disney" as opposed to "We have an Iger" or a "Pressler" trying to steer opinion...The funny thing about it is that we don't seem to be moving any needles, anyway...

ImperfectPixie

I get that...I just don't know why we would say its "Disney" as opposed to "We have an Iger" or a "Pressler" trying to steer opinion...The funny thing about it is that we don't seem to be moving any needles, anyway...
I think it's just easier to refer to corporate as a whole, since we'll never really know who is pulling the strings (but that Medium article doesn't paint Iger or Mucha in a very good light, now, does it.)

I wouldn't say that we're not moving any needles necessarily...at the very least, we know they're paying attention and likely have conversations based on fan reactions...which could lead to changes in decisions.

wdwgreek

This thread is dynamite. Sorry I am.so late to the party. Of course Disney monitors the forums and Facebook's pages. I'm sure they have plants as well posting magical perspectives. That shouldn't surprised anyone. Per the insider drama, it seems like pestering. Chapel knows he is going to take the fall for the middling success (which as someone else said for Disney is a failure)of star wars land. This is internal politics leaking out. We are in the midst of it right now. In a year or two when the dust has settled I am sure it will be clearer. That said Disney needs to return to form. Quality. Immersiveness. Consistency. Every thing from their films to the their TV shows to their parks should follow those three rules. Everything doesn't need an Ip to be great, the company's push on nostalgia is going to backfire and fall apart. It is only a matter of time.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Quality. Immersiveness. Consistency. Every thing from their films to the their TV shows to their parks should follow those three rules. Everything doesn't need an Ip to be great, the company's push on nostalgia is going to backfire and fall apart. It is only a matter of time.

Right. Consistently deliver top notch family entertainment. Everything else is bullpoop.

pdude81

Understood. But are you willing to bet your day on not getting the CM who got a letter that morning about [infraction] from their manager?
Oh no, I'll get a new piece of plastic if need be. I just can't believe they are bothering with the cards when they scan the same as a MB and they are doubling up with physical IDs.

Since I have to activate a renewal voucher for my son anyway, I am already going to have to visit a ticket booth or guest relations

Buried20KLeague

It seems to me the only way to make things copasetic again, is for Disney to owe you one. The Bobs are watching, they feel a little sheepish, and you guys are way more important than you thought you were. You should start a new thread, come up with about 10 not too expensive, can be done efficiently, park ideas and hold a vote for the top idea. Disney will wait for the winning idea, never acknowledge it, and have it built within 2 years. Bingo, Bango, Bongo, all square. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

We all know Disney doesn't build anything in just two years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom