Predictions! Secret WDC Project — August 22 @ D23

TJJohn12

Yeah, I feel like the Disney's America fiasco was enough of a lesson for them
You want ginned up controversies? It’s like the theme of the least two days!

Opposition to DA was a small cadre of NIMBY NOVA locals, Civil War buffs, and a smattering of academics. And quite frankly - fighting Disney’s America was the *worst* long term decision for historical tourism in the mid-Atlantic possible. Where we could have thriving attendance at regional historic sites driven by Disney excursions, we have nosediving attendance.

And the plot of land optioned became a giant McMansion development. So much for that preservation.

If Disney aims for the mid-Atlantic again, some of us aren’t going to be as short sighted this time around.

As for this weekend, my money is still on loyalty program bundling with Disney+ ala Amazon Prime (free Shop Disney shipping, points and discount rewards, Magic Kingdom Club-style minimal perks, etc).

HmmmmmMMMmm

It's a new cruise stop.
There will never be a fifth park in Florida.
There will never be another standalone park in the United States or Europe.

Progress.City

Buying seaworld, gives you the busch parks too, and the soon upcoming sesame street expansions etc. I love the Williamsburg parks, but your asking for trouble with Seaworld Entertainment...its not known to be solid in the books department.
Yes, I see the motivation in buying it to reunite the Muppets and Sesame Street rights. This is good reason alone to buy them. Also, the joy of nabbing this property as Universal-Comcast was preoccupied securing the property rights for their third park project...

brodie999

I talked to Brayden about the secret project and he said he still doesn't know what it is. He also told me his highest sources won't tell him maybe because even they don't know either.

lazyboy97o

Yes, I see the motivation in buying it to reunite the Muppets and Sesame Street rights. This is good reason alone to buy them. Also, the joy of nabbing this property as Universal-Comcast was preoccupied securing the property rights for their third park project...
SeaWorld does not own Sesame Street. They do not even have global rights to the property, with Sesame Street appearing at Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore and Port Aventura.

Progress.City

I remember, during the Eisner era, Disney was ready to respond to Universal’s Harry Potter announcements by building new E-ticket attractions in each park (including Fire Mountain). In the end, it was decided to shelve these projects because Burbank calculated that the Universal announcement didn’t pose as much as a threat as they foresaw originally. Maybe today’s management sees things differently and is planning something similar but this time they will actually do it and execute it.

peter11435

I remember, during the Eisner era, Disney was ready to respond to Universal’s Harry Potter announcements by building new E-ticket attractions in each park (including Fire Mountain). In the end, it was decided to shelve these projects because Burbank calculated that the Universal announcement didn’t pose as much as a threat as they foresaw originally. Maybe today’s management sees things differently and is planning something similar but this time they will actually do it and execute it.
Eisner was already gone when Universal announced Potter.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Eisner was already gone when Universal announced Potter.
yes, but the original HP discussions happened when Eisner was CEO. In fact, Disney was approached first and it fell apart because Disney refused to give up creative control and it wasn't going to be the scope she wanted. So Eisner knew, one way or another, JK was gonna go to Universal.

BigThunderMatt

Potter wasn't even announced for IOA until 2007, 2 years after Eisner was ousted.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Potter wasn't even announced for IOA until 2007, 2 years after Eisner was ousted.

This article from 2003 quotes a Universal executive saying that Disney already had the rights "wrapped up".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom