News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Tom P.

I agree with this to a point. I'm not sure we can tell who the influencers and trolls are....How can we delineate honest opinions from those who are doing it for some external gain (like employment or promotion)? Sometimes, the opinion you are trying to create will be held by other fans, so you may not even have to piggyback on it. If your jobs are specific enough (like talk up Avland or sell people on RFID chips on sodas), then you can also make some unrelated posts. Maybe even have a "gloom and doomer" opinion if you're supposed to be a "pixie duster". Play the long game. I would bet if you were bad at it, you wouldn't last long...but if you're good, we'd have a lot of trouble discerning. I 100% agree that this board has the best insiders, but I don't think any of them fall into the category we're talking about.
There is no question in my mind that @marni1971 is Bob Iger. Other than that, I agree that we really don't know.

Nemo14

Ignore it. I'm sure not more than 23.4% of the board is paid shills. Plus, what's the worst that could happen? I mean there was the time Meg Crofton tried to poison my Coca Cola and I wind up fighting for my life in the middle of the Sassagoula River with a couple of guys known around the company as "The Henchmen". Luckily, I remembered to do my stretching that morning, so I was somewhat limber and avoided middle aged man back pain as I dodged shiv after shiv whilst nimbly confusing the blood aroused bull shark and making my get away. But, that literally was the worst thing that ever happened to me based on my criticisms being reported to the company by the employees on this site. Plus, after surviving, someone felt kind of bad and I got a Dinosaur fastpass and a free premium Mickey bar in exchange for not mentioning that literally none of the effects were working.
I got 2 cakes!

Smooth

seascape

I am waiting to learn what the real story is. If there is something to this the financial news media will cover this otherwise it is just a conspiracy theory and not worth wasting our time.

Tom Morrow

I've been a member of this board for a loooong time (that's how I snagged this heavily coveted username!). Long enough that I was still an adolescent who was actively reading the SaveDisney stuff back when it was new. This is one of the craziest and most interesting events to ever happen on here. I've never had any doubt that Disney has plants in online fan communities. It's an unfortunate reality of the modern internet and something that is heavily practiced by every company/political campaign/what have you. It's very easy to manipulate the narrative by simply hiring people to create a bunch of fake social media accounts to reinforce what they want the public to think. I've always had a hunch that some of the "insiders" here were not just some information-privy individuals risking their careers and integrity to bring us the inside scoop. It should be no surprise to anyone when certain things get "leaked", that the leak was intentional. Whenever you see someone ruthlessly defending a controversial decision by Disney and trying to paint the people reacting negatively as obsessive fanboys, it's very easy to assume these people are Disney shills. Heck, even in this forum's Universal Orlando subforum, there are a handful of posters whom I would not be surprised to discover are Universal shills whose goal is to spin any negative criticism of Universal as Disney fanboy bias.

I've also always suspected that Disney also scouts the boards and treats them as focus groups. This is why I tend to post a lot of criticisms - I want Disney to see them and address them.

This entire discussion in both threads has already become cacophonous and convoluted, so I think it's important that we don't lose the biggest shocker and important takeaway here: (ignoring all the pointed fingers of what poster is actually who), the reveal that a company would deliberately push negative criticism of itself to spin the narrative that it wants. That highest ranking individuals in a company can manipulate public opinion with social media to throw their opponents under the bus. The implication that Bob Iger played dirty to get where he is. Of course, I don't believe anyone in any position of high ranking power got there without stabbing a few backs.

That's also ignoring the fact that we could go even deeper down the rabbit hole - maybe Disney themselves wrote the expose to discredit the insiders and tear apart the community so that only the shills pushing the discussions they want continue to be trusted. *tightens tinfoil hat*

Last edited:

andysol

I have a serious suspicion as well. The way he phrased this post is just way too '74-ish. That said, I don't think it's Michael/74. Rather, I think it might be Gary.
Interesting the connection between WDW1974 and @the.dreamfinder... he has made some posts recently which sound Spirit-esque, and mention Viacom...
wow, I think I'm on board with this now. Why would he post under a different name here though?
It's not a question, honestly.

Those tweets were years old. He was front and center and reporting on it (even breaking the news) first thing yesterday all up until his name got dropped on those old tweet. Then he went silent while staying on all last night reading both threads. He's been on all morning reading the threads. Still hasn't said a word. Currently he's "in conversation".
No matter what he comes out and says now after his nearly 24hrs of lurking and reading, bearing coming clean, I don't believe him. At all. The silence is deafening.

Counter that with @TP2000 who jumped on immediately.

tissandtully

I've been a member of this board for a loooong time. Long enough that I was still an adolescent who was actively reading the SaveDisney stuff back when it was new. This is one of the craziest and most interesting events to ever happen on here. I've never had any doubt that Disney has plants in online fan communities. It's an unfortunate reality of the modern internet and something that is heavily practiced by every company/political campaign/what have you. It's very easy to manipulate the narrative by simply hiring people to create a bunch of fake social media accounts to reinforce what they want the public to think. I've always had a hunch that some of the "insiders" here were not just some information-privy individuals risking their careers and integrity to bring us the inside scoop. It should be no surprise to anyone when certain things get "leaked", that the leak was intentional. Whenever you see someone ruthlessly defending a controversial decision by Disney and trying to paint the people reacting negatively as obsessive fanboys, it's very easy to assume these people are Disney shills. Heck, even in this forum's Universal Orlando subforum, there are a handful of posters whom I would not be surprised to discover are Universal shills whose goal is to spin any negative criticism of Universal as Disney fanboy bias.

I've also always suspected that Disney also scouts the boards and treats them as focus groups. This is why I tend to post a lot of criticisms - I want Disney to see them and address them.

This entire discussion in both threads has already become cacophonous and convoluted, so I think it's important that we don't lose the biggest shocker and important takeaway here: (ignoring all the pointed fingers of what poster is actually who), the reveal that a company would deliberately push negative criticism of itself to spin the narrative that it wants. That highest ranking individuals in a company can manipulate public opinion with social media to throw their opponents under the bus. The implication that Bob Iger played dirty to get where he is. Of course, I don't believe anyone in any position of high ranking power got there without stabbing a few backs.

That's also ignoring the fact that we could go even deeper down the rabbit hole - maybe Disney themselves wrote the expose to discredit the insiders and tear apart the community so that only the shills pushing the discussions they want continue to be trusted. *tightens tinfoil hat*
Can someone explain why Disney would need to use a message board as a focus group? Wouldn't they have plenty of volunteers to make a focus group if they wanted to float ideas?

Virtual Toad

It's an unfortunate reality of the modern internet and something that is heavily practiced by every company/political campaign/what have you. It's very easy to manipulate the narrative by simply hiring people to create a bunch of fake social media accounts to reinforce what they want the public to think.

Thanks for bringing this up. This practice is so unethical it boggles the mind. But why and how is this even legal? Is this what we've become? Who would take a job like that, where your primary objective is to deliberately lie and deceive, to infiltrate, undermine and destroy healthy and honest communication by pretending to be someone else? How can people who do this for a living live with themselves?

For those of us on the boards who are honest participants, even those with different perspectives and agendas: don't give up and don't give in. The only way to combat this is to continue to contribute. Overwhelm the phony posters, gaslighting, cynicism and attempts to divide and disillusion with honest and sincere discussion. Be aware that fake accounts and fake posters exist-- but don't under any circumstances let it scare you away.

Jimmy Thick

Um, people are just now realizing you can make a living trolling social media? I'll give you all a hint, you want to use Facebook to make the most revenue, avoid Twitter unless you're desperate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom