Tomorrowland Overhaul Speculation

smooch

They’ve been talking about reviving for years, but could never get passed the ADA requirements.

Forgive me if this comment is ignorant but I know one problem is they need handrails on the platform for safety, if they were to widen the tracks a bit and implement something like Buzz where the rails are in the ground and raise up in the event of an e-stop, could that preserve the aesthetic while still having the required handrail? I am sure this has come up and been explained why it would not work but I have not seen it before

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Forgive me if this comment is ignorant but I know one problem is they need handrails on the platform for safety, if they were to widen the tracks a bit and implement something like Buzz where the rails are in the ground and raise up in the event of an e-stop, could that preserve the aesthetic while still having the required handrail? I am sure this has come up and been explained why it would not work but I have not seen it before
Its not just handrails, but also exit routes along the platform which there are currently none. There a big long post about it somewhere here in the forum from @Darkbeer1 that explains it all. But long story short it would cost way more to retrofit the current platforms due to all the regulation then it would be to rebuild it. And if you're going to spend money to rebuild might as well do something else.

smooch

Its not just handrails, but also exit routes along the platform which there are currently none. There a big long post about it somewhere here in the forum from @Darkbeer1 that explains it all. But long story short it would cost way more to retrofit the current platforms due to all the regulation then it would be to rebuild it. And if you're going to spend money to rebuild might as well do something else.
Oh right I completely blanked on the exits that was the main concern I remember now. Thank you for jogging my memory!

DavidDL

Tomorrowland needs a big overhaul! I feel like theres only 1 or 2 good things there right now.. And one of them is always dressed up for star wars even though we have galaxys edge now! I would be all in favor of them leveling the majority of the land and starting from the ground up. Peoplemover would be nice! Its always a must do when we go to wdw.

thequeuelinelectures

I’m fine with Tron coming to DL from an aesthetic direction, I just hope in changing the attraction around more than at WDW they make some more actual improvements

I understand why they didn’t go this direction but a tron ride where you enter Flynn’s arcade, play some games as a part of the queue, get zapped to the grid in the preshow, and then board your lightcycle just always seemed like such an obvious narrative slam dunk

TROR

Accidentally clicked the link to MiceChat instead of here and noticed someone put together the rumor of the Tomorrowland remodel with the lack of Ghost Galaxy’s return. Interesting conclusion.

mandelbrot

I know I made fun of Space Mountain earlier, but that's not funny! ;)
The current regime makes bad decisions. The Tron show building won't fit in DL's TL. However, there currently is a show building that will fit an indoor coaster provided that a lot of the coaster experience happens outside of said show building. It's a real concept and might be what they choose.

Or it won't happen. We'll know soon.

TP2000

The current regime makes bad decisions. The Tron show building won't fit in DL's TL. However, there currently is a show building that will fit an indoor coaster provided that a lot of the coaster experience happens outside of said show building. It's a real concept and might be what they choose.

Or it won't happen. We'll know soon.

Oh, gosh. You may be right. It might work great, but it would probably be horrendous.

So that's one ride. I wonder what they do with the rest of the land and its half dozen other operating rides?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I still don't know why people keep thinking the Tron show building can't fit in DL TL....

Have we forgotten how far down they dug for RotR, damn near 2 stories. Not to mention that SM is also dug down below grade.

The same can be done in TL for Tron. Entrance at ground level (or second level) and the rest of the show building is below grade.

DanielBB8

I still don't know why people keep thinking the Tron show building can't fit in DL TL....

Have we forgotten how far down they dug for RotR, damn near 2 stories. Not to mention that SM is also dug down below grade.

The same can be done in TL for Tron. Entrance at ground level (or second level) and the rest of the show building is below grade.
The submarine lagoon is already below grade, right?

mickEblu

I’m not worried about how tall. I’m worried about how wide. And that large canopy either not looking good next to the Matterhorn, Space Mountain or both.

britain

I’m not worried about how tall. I’m worried about how wide. And that large canopy either not looking good next to the Matterhorn, Space Mountain or both.

What if most of the building was sunk into the sub's show building space, and covered up in sub-lagoon-ish Matterhorn-ish Arendale-ish rockwork? And the canopy served double duty as Tomorrowland Terrace shading?

TROR

What if most of the building was covered up in sub-lagoon-ish Matterhorn-ish Arendale-ish rockwork? And the canopy served double duty as Tomorrowland Terrace shading?
I think the problem, at least for me, is the idea of anything encroaching on the Matterhorn's dominant presence. Even if the show building matched, I don't necessarily want to see something else take the skyline from the Matterhorn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom