News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

VJ

Bingo! People who think this is some type of fan fiction need to wake up. I don't know if everything in this article is true but it certainly seems plausible. Someone earlier said it best: the more answers we get the more questions that arise. Who is and is not present at D23 will be extremely important in determining some of the issues brought up in this piece.
as soon as you drag an innocent person into your narrative, nothing else you say should be paid any attention.

Virtual Toad

To me, the Medium article reads like a real hit job on Al Lutz on the heels of his scathing article about SWGE.

The Snyder piece is not a news article or "investigation" in any sense of the word. It's full of innuendo and very short on substantiated facts or corroboration. Al's article on the lackluster debut of SWGE touched a very raw and sensitive nerve somewhere in the halls of the WDC. This seems like a concerted (and extraordinarily mean-spirited) effort to hit back. Are there multiple competing agendas at play here? Sure, there always have been. But this just seems petty and the timing and tone are beyond suspicious.

Anyone who's followed Al and Kevin Yee from the mid-to-late 1990s on knows they both have lengthy records as passionate critics of the WDC. It's completely plausible that Al's source (or sources) within the WDC may have used him to push their own agenda. But Kevin's defense of Al is worth noting. I'm not sure anyone should take what was written and alleged by Snyder as truth unless some much more substantial reporting proves otherwise.

Sir_Cliff

Because we've had someone telling us all of this for years. It really does make sense to me. Of course there's some manipulation there. He has his own agenda, but that doesn't mean the facts aren't accurate. Why would he cause this stir if there wasn't some truth to it? What's the point? "Scandal" was more real than people realize, lol ;)
Yes, someone who had their own huge axe to grind and who was not always correct in their information.

VJ

I've been lost in the immense response to this article so I may be behind in recent revelations: who is being wrongly accused here?
@TP2000 isn't troy parker, he's explained his case and honestly, i believe him. the snyder article should be taken with a huge grain of salt because, as far as i'm concerned, as soon as gary started namedropping random people for shock value, he lost credibility entirely.

Filby61

To me, it actually confirms a lot. When I read the new 'Lutz' column it read exactly like a TP2000 post.

Thousands of Al posts and TP2000 posts are available on the internet. Having read them both for decades, I can assure you that their writing styles -- their "author's voices" -- are quite different. And that's even before we consider the nutty claim that TP2000 ghost-wrote Al's articles, somehow managing to do a perfect imitation of not only Al's sensibility but his personal writing style.

Nj4mwc

I agree that the Bobs don't care what we say, but this isn't about us. It's about what Al Lutz says, and they do care about that. Al's article last week caused a massive spike in traffic on many Disney fan sites, not just MiceChat. Al's reach goes beyond fan sites; it extends well into mainstream media, and that has the ability to affect what the Bobs care about most - the price of Disney stock.
Would this be any sort of illegal stock manipulation? Manipulating the flow of valid info to affect the ceo position and stock prices? I have no idea if it does but it just seems like that would be the story here. We already know Disney is tracking and attempt to manipulate us

photomatt

Would this be any sort of illegal stock manipulation? Manipulating the flow of valid info to affect the ceo position and stock prices? I have no idea if it does but it just seems like that would be the story here. We already know Disney is tracking and attempt to manipulate us
I don't know enough to answer that. I don't want to speculate, but I will admit that anything is possible.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've been lost in the immense response to this article so I may be behind in recent revelations: who is being wrongly accused here?

well.. we should reframe this piece to looking at it as just a normal spirit post. Probably some truths.. probably some stretches.. and possibly some guesses.

I think the consensus is on TP2000 it was a guess and wrong. The rest of the story? Pick your interpretation... I think it could be hyperboylic over how much Lutz was actually pushing 'as is' content created by zenia and her minions.. but the whole association between zenia and Lutz?

logo-rbion.png

TP2000

Thousands of Al posts and TP2000 posts are available on the internet. Having read them both for decades, I can assure you that their writing styles -- their "author's voices" -- are quite different. And that's even before we consider the nutty claim that TP2000 ghost-wrote Al's articles, somehow managing to do a perfect imitation of not only Al's sensibility but his personal writing style.

Thank you! :)

Both Mr. Lutz and I have been around for decades. Mr. Lutz predates me on alt.disney.disneyland however, since by the time I arrived on that board around '96 Al Lutz was already an established and high ranking voice of that growing online community. I'm sure someone who cares could investigate that if they wanted to, I think the Usenet boards from the 1990's are archived online somewhere.

Yes, we both have been critical of Disney executives and corporate decisions in the past. Yes, we both speak and write in complete sentences with reasonably good grammar as anyone who attended public school through the 12th grade in the mid 20th century does. Yes, we both have high standards for Disneyland.

But we are not the same person. I detailed my one and only in-person meeting with Al Lutz in the Disneyland Hub circa 1996-98 in the Disneyland forum. But let's keep this going because it's all so hysterical!

doctornick

I am a little underwhelmed by their words. If anything, it gives credence to Snyder (whether or not the claims made in the medium post are true). What's always been clear, and what's clearer than ever before, is Spirit/Snyder are brilliant and tenacious. These MiceChat guys are outmatched. It's a little sad.

It's obvious the MiceChat guys were idiotic in their response.

But WDW1974 being "brilliant"? Meh. He has always struck me as a person who thinks he's the smartest person in the room but believes his own hype too much. He obviously has some connections and "knows people" - but he also has a significant axe to grind and tunnel vision about being "right". While I'm confident the article has some element of truth, I'm not really putting too much stock on all the details being correct (especially if he is wrong about @TP2000 and his identity). Time and again, he's been shown to not understand the difference between his "opinion" and "truth".

Magic Feather

Didn’t know @TP2000 was Troy Porter, but it makes sense (hindsight is always 20/20). Heard quite a lot about him lately. While I don’t know enough to verify this all, I have an inkling that George’s role was overplayed a bit. Other than that...

EDIT: I have left the original post so as not to alter the past. That said, I would like to formally retract this statement as it was based on a statement from a biased source of mine that had advance knowledge of this article. Unfortunately, I am currently reviewing any other information I have received from this source to ensure that it is accurate. The Art of Marvel thread is based on info from someone else that I still have the utmost confidence in. -Feather
An Update on my Earlier Post

Figments Friend

Casual observation -

There are currently 270 or so registered users viewing this Forum at the moment, with well over a thousand lurking 'guests' currently viewing.
Being nosey, I checked and most of those 'guests' are viewing this thread and the other related one in the Disneyland Forum.

Eyes are upon us....
Say hello !
( waves )

:)

-

brb1006

Casual observation -

There are currently 270 or so registered users viewing this Forum at the moment, with well over a thousand lurking 'guests' currently viewing.
Being nosey, I checked and most of those 'guests' are viewing this thread and the other related one in the Disneyland Forum.

Eyes are upon us....
Say hello !
( waves )

:)

-
Maybe we might get this many guests/members on this site once D23 comes around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom