Travel agent or not?

bsmartin2000

I have done 5 previous trips to Disney where I planned it all myself. This time we will be a party of 8 and I am nervous about planning for everyone. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of using an agent?

John park hopper

Never used a travel agent for Disney, did use a tavel agent for a Holland America Cruise and never again. I don't know if she was incompetent and not normal for travel agents, wife on our up coming cruise went directly to HAC and planned everything. I would be inclined to plan it myself.

Upvote 0

goofyyukyuk

Travel agents typically just take the stress out of planning and provide a safety net in case something goes wrong on your trip. They also monitor prices and deals to get you the cheapest prices for your vacation. Most don’t charge fees, they just receive commission from companies you book with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
You’ve just told us you’re nervous about planning for your group, so let a TA take the stress.

With a TA they will do the leg work, and as much of the planning as you want them to. Give them a list of ADRs you’d like with dates and times and they can book for you. Or you can do that bit yourself.

We have a Board Sponsor, Kingdom Konsultants. Pam and her team are great, and many of them are regular posters. Drop Pam an email, @Kingdom Konsultant.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The pros are as others have listed... they do everything they can to assist you in making your trip planning as easy and pleasurable as they can. They know all the ins and outs of the parks, resorts and dining areas. A good TA has visited WDW enough times to understand every detail of the trip you will be taking, is monitoring all discounts, promotions and deals that may benefit you, and can offer advice thats going to make your trip better.
The cons would be if you have a TA that isnt communicating with you, isnt fully versed in knowing whats involved in a WDW trip and isnt working to make your trip fit your unique needs. We had a TA last time that wasnt putting much effort into our trip so we left her and are going with an entirely different agency this year.
Planning with a large group has its unique stresses coordinating everyones personalities, vacation styles, their likes, dislikes, desires, wants, expectations, which you will still will be having to work out between yourself and the others once you get there. TA's can only do so much. Have some group meetings to iron out details in advance and plan some time alone so you can enjoy yourself too and not just be trying to please everyone else.

Upvote 0

DfromATX

We've only used a TA once and that was for our first trip years ago. After the first trip, we knew what to expect and I enjoy the planning. I planned our last trip in July 2018 for 7 of us! Granted, they were my husband, our kids, plus one friend. We have our routine down so it's easy. I would say it depends on who all is in your group. If you are talking about people with different preferences, the more in your party, the harder it will be to plan, especially if it involves people other than your immediate family. If that stresses you out, maybe a TA would be a good idea. I personally like to plan everything and now that our kids are older, I do ask their opinions and welcome any suggestions.

Upvote 0

ChubbyK

I will have to agree with using a Travel Agent.. I have used Kingdom Konsultants for many years after the many trips I planned out myself.
So much easier and less stess trying to keep up with everything . Disney will make offers and if you don't call to check on then they will not just make the changes. Your travel agent keeps up with all this and can save you lots of money. I even let them make my dining reservations for me .

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

I have done 5 previous trips to Disney where I planned it all myself. This time we will be a party of 8 and I am nervous about planning for everyone. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of using an agent?
I will tell you that we do everything that the was mentioned above, but I will add that we are also there for you while you are traveling. If something comes up while you are at Disney, we can deal with it for you while you can still enjoy whatever you are doing. Life is stressful enough, vacation doesn't need to be!

Upvote 0
I am in the process of planning a trip for 10 of us during Christmas week. All but three have been there at that time so know what to expect. I have not used a TA, but since I have been there 40+ times, don't really feel the need. I have made a secret group on Facebook where we communicate. It helps so everyone knows what the others are thinking. I can also go back and recheck when I have a senior moment. Which park which day and ADR's are long made, just waiting for fast pass preferences. I have each family group tell me what they want and then we try to balance what is wanted with what is most likely to be successful. They didn't want park hoppers so what park we start at is where we finish except for MVMCP night. Basic plan is start early, back to resort after lunch, nap, play, etc., then back to park for evening. While we will all be at the same park each day, what everyone does is up to them. I'm just going to make the fast passes for everyone, but most likely will be different for different people. We also have additional planning because we are staying at Fort Wilderness so have to plan site decorations and for the Golf Cart Parade (we'll have 2 golf carts). It is a lot but have been enjoying it and expect Christmas to be magical with all 3 of my grandchildren there for Christmas. Planning for a large group without a TA can be done just takes a lot of time.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

I've always used a travel agent, especially a Disney one!. They know all the deals and ways to make things happen. I don't have to book flights, look endlessly for them, or try to book myself. This works for us. Our TA handles everything, and is paid by Disney. I would never go to WDW without her assistance. She has helped us find exactly what we want, and also finds deals to apply.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

There are TAs, and then there are TAs. If you get a generic TA who books all sorts of travel and really just acts like Kayak or Priceline, you won't get much out if it, other than in theory someone to help you rebook things if something goes wrong, IE weather or sickness. If you get a TA that specializes in the particular product you are looking for, it can be a huge help. IE @Kingdom Konsultant who specializes in Disney travel. They know the ins and outs, and with Disney specifically, will usually attempt to rebook your trip if any applicable discounts are released.

Your local AAA/whatever agency TA may be able to book WDW, but they may not know (or care) when ADRs are available for booking, and how important it is to try to book that Chef Mickeys at 180 days. A good Disney TA will be involved as you want them to be. Some will handle every part of your trip, IE booking dining and such for you, others will just book your hotel and get out of your way (while still watching for discounts). And they don't cost you anything, Disney pays them. There are bad Disney TAs, but can't say I've ever heard any thing negative about the sponsors of this board.

Using a TA is up to you. If you are nervous, then have at it. They can help as much or as little as you want.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom