Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

IMDREW

It was busy but not ungodly. Most everything had a wait of some sort. We waited about 15 minutes for Docking Bay, 20-ish mins for the Cantina (standby), and about 50 or less minutes for SR.
Oh I was hoping for a wait for SR more in the 15-20 minute range like the cm previews. So in my head I already decided to ride it 4-5 times. I guess not 😂. Thanks anyway!

RobWDW1971

If Disney pulls a fast one on us and Black Spire makes an on-screen appearance in Episode IX, will that change people’s overall opinion on the land? 🤔

And since Disney often can be more about synergy than compelling storytelling, I actually will be surprised if it's NOT in the upcoming film. Just like the Falcon ride is based on the events and locations of Solo (unfortunately).

The question is how will Batuu be represented? In the few seconds you see it in Star Tours, it is filled with aliens, droids, etc. Seeing that in the film will just further drive home the deserted movie set feel of what they actually delivered.

bclane

I haven’t been yet (our preview is tomorrow). But I think the main problem with the land (based on everything I’ve read) is more about what was cut than what is actually there. Anytime you over promise and under deliver people are gonna be disappointed and vocal about it. Had they never promised all the entertainment and interactivity, I think people in general would be more positive about the land. Sure there would still be people complaining about the setting in the ST vs the OT, the lack of music, and the DL location instead of CA but I just think people would have been happier overall if they had never heard about the things that got cut. Hopefully Disney learns from this and doesn’t cut things that have been promised from future lands/rides (I won’t hold my breath) and hopefully what was promised for SWGE gets added back in before too long (I think it will be). Regardless, my excitement for our preview tomorrow has basically reached a fever pitch. I’m so excited to finally get to go. 😊

Ravenclaw78

After some posts, I'm wondering how much age plays a role in the impressions one gets. Under 30, love the land. Over 30, hate it. Am I off base? Legit question, as I have not yet been there.

I don't count @TROR , who seems like an old soul.
The line seems to be a bit above 40. In my observation, GenX have overall had a more negative take, and Xennials and millennials have been overall more positive. I guess it's not surprising - GenX is a generation best known for its cynicism.

sedati

It seems like a lot of the complaints are coming from posters over a certain age and so I guess it’s very much a generational thing.
I am of that the age you are hinting at. Seeing A New Hope in its original release is my earliest memory. And I'll say that I'd hoped my generation was above criticizing the likes of the younger, and wouldn't feel everything had to be tailored to my own wants and expectations. I like most of what I'm seeing as far as new Star Wars goes in all formats. The land can only improve, but I'm very happy with what looks a solid foundation.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It seems like a lot of the complaints are coming from posters over a certain age and so I guess it’s very much a generational thing.
Take if for what you will, but this 41-year-old is encouraged.
You and I are both Xennials. We're the best of both worlds. :hilarious:

41 year old here who is excited about the land, as.is my wife, as well as many of my friends.

bclane

I am of that the age you are hinting at. Seeing A New Hope in its original release is my earliest memory. And I'll say that I'd hoped my generation was above criticizing the likes of the younger, and wouldn't feel everything had to be tailored to my own wants and expectations. I like most of what I'm seeing as far as new Star Wars goes in all formats. The land can only improve, but I'm very happy with what looks a solid foundation.
Same here. I’m 49 and most of my friends my age at least enjoy all of the movies even if we do feel the OT is superior. I know our generation tends to be the most vocal complainers, but I really don’t believe it’s the majority of us that get so worked up about the things people tend to complain about. My house and classroom are filled with Star Wars stuff and everybody that knows me knows how deep my love runs for that universe...but It’s just art and entertainment for me (well that and the majority of my childhood). I just think far too many people let their gripes about the new stuff affect them negatively. I wish people could just enjoy what we have and not let the things that they don’t like ruin it for them but I do understand the passion they feel for Star Wars.

doctornick

After some posts, I'm wondering how much age plays a role in the impressions one gets. Under 30, love the land. Over 30, hate it. Am I off base? Legit question, as I have not yet been there.

I don't count @TROR , who seems like an old soul.

My gut is that it is more of a split between haters/likers of TLJ and the ST - though the age breakdown probably impacts that a lot.

I'm over 40 and the OT was a big part of my childhood, but enjoy the new films and characters (I actually though the Luke/Rey/Kylo subplot of TLJ was excellent) and I'm excited for the land even though I'm sorry to see/hear about the cuts made.

Come to think of it, I think my feelings about the land mirror TLJ - there's plenty of aspects I'm critical of, but generally enjoyed it and feel the criticism of it is way by some of it excessive and way out of whack.

World_Showcase_Lover007

And just to add on to it: I feel like the whole Batuu thing has a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” kinda vibe. We as Disney parks fans regularly bemoan the constant onslaught of IP-based additions. We constantly cry out for more original attractions and lands. “If it’s good people will come” we say. “It doesn’t matter if it’s based on a movie we already know. We want original stories!”

Well, in this day and age, GE is probably the closest we’ll get to that. It’s obviously IP-based, but the Imagineers decided to write an all new story with all new characters instead of simply copying something from the films. Instead of Han Solo, we have Hondo Ohnaka. Instead of Wuher and Fingrin Dan, we have Oga and DJ Rex. Instead of Mos Eisley, Cloud City, or Coruscant, we have Black Spire Outpost.

And yet, the internet is filled with cries of “Who are these people? Where are the characters and places we know? How stupid do you have to be to set a Star Wars Land in an unfamiliar world?”

I don’t know; it just seems like you can’t win sometimes. 🤷‍♂️

Very valid point with the “can’t please anyone anymore” vibe, but I think this will be Disney’s biggest challenge moving forward. It’s not the IPs or lands that make people angry and aggravated, it’s just the vehicle through which people express their anger. People are actually mad at the prices, the parking, the parking prices, etc. and now get ‘triggered’ by anything not meeting every single expectation, and I can’t blame them. People are still paying the money to go, but at what cost for Disney in the future?

bclane

Still more Galaxy's Edge haters. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

I think that people who have complained about DL Batuu have made some very valid points about the things that can be improved with the land...but it is definitely VERY encouraging and refreshing to see all the positivity about Batuu at DHS. I admit I was starting to get at least a little worried, but after all the more positive reports about Batuu East, I’m just so hopeful and happy and excited about seeing it for myself tomorrow. Why do these last hours of today feel like they are taking so long to go by?! Reminds me of that feeling I had as a kid before Christmas Eve.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I think that people who have complained about DL Batuu have made some very valid points about the things that can be improved with the land...but it is definitely VERY encouraging and refreshing to see all the positivity about Batuu at DHS. I admit I was starting to get at least a little worried, but after all the more positive reports about Batuu East, I’m just so hopeful and happy and excited about seeing it for myself tomorrow. Why do these last hours of today feel like they are taking so long to go by?! Reminds me of that feeling I had as a kid before Christmas Eve.
I think the reality is in the middle between those who think it's perfect and can't be improved, and those who think it is a total dud (lifeless, dead,.etc.). I'm in the camp that is very excited for this land and I know I will love it, while at the same time recognizing where it could be better (more streetmosphere, droids wandering around, aliens and smugglers, etc....).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom