Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm 99% sure it's not performance based. While there are a lot of variables so it's hard to say for sure but my best evidence is that in the POV you posted the asteroids sequence is about 24 seconds long. In this POV it's 56 seconds long. Obviously that doesn't completely rule it out but I really think it's just being used to stall in certain sets of circumstances

Certainly possible.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I think it's filler, but only if the ride system knows things are falling behind with enough notice. Like, say you're about halfway through the ride and one of the cockpits behind/ahead of you on the turntable takes a longer than normal time to load or unload. The ride then knows it's going to take longer for your cockpit to make it around to unload, so you get the asteroid field. If the delay occurs just prior to your cockpit advancing to the unload slot, that's when you get the filler at the end.

thequeuelinelectures

I think it's filler, but only if the ride system knows things are falling behind with enough notice. Like, say you're about halfway through the ride and one of the cockpits behind/ahead of you on the turntable takes a longer than normal time to load or unload. The ride then knows it's going to take longer for your cockpit to make it around to unload, so you get the asteroid field. If the delay occurs just prior to your cockpit advancing to the unload slot, that's when you get the filler at the end.

Nailed it

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
I timed out two versions on YouTube, one with and one without the Asteroid scene and they are the same length. The one without the scene had filler at the end to make up the difference.
I was referring to @danlb_2000 research.

I haven’t experience the ride so I’m going by what members I trust have posted.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
There's an image on Reddit showing the motion platform of Smugglers Run from outside the cockpit/within the projection dome. I believe the rules of this site prevent me from posting the image (as the image was certainly taken from an area that is outside of areas that guests are generally permitted into), but if not, let me know and I will post the image. Otherwise, you can quickly find the Reddit page/image by Google searching "Backstage pic of Smuggler's Run ride vehicle".

trainplane3

There's an image on Reddit showing the motion platform of Smugglers Run from outside the cockpit/within the projection dome. I believe the rules of this site prevent me from posting the image (as the image was certainly taken from an area that is outside of areas that guests are generally permitted into), but if not, let me know and I will post the image. Otherwise, you can quickly find the Reddit page/image by Google searching "Backstage pic of Smuggler's Run ride vehicle".
It's been shared on here before and there were a couple other similar pictures due to it being evac'd early on after opening.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
I don’t believe this site has any restrictions on that. There are just a couple of sites that are restricted, but I think that is all.

If you feel uncomfortable posting the pic, post the link. Definitely no issues with that.

KingdomofDreams

REVIEW - Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run at Disney's Hollywood Studios

"The range of motion is perhaps not as large as felt on Star Tours, and the physical sensation of flight isn’t really there. Combined with the limited range of motion and small non-3D video display, the overall flight experience is perhaps a little lacking."

So you are supposed to be flying on the the Falcon but there is limited range of motion, no 3D, and the sensation of flight isn't there. Seriously?

doctornick

The most interesting part of the interactivity (to me) was how the ride performance was going to affect your reputation within the land. If that aspect isn't being used - which it seems it wasn't - then I'm not sure there is a lot of value in "controlling the Falcon". I almost think it might be potentially more interesting to ditch the pure interactivity and go for straight up randomness - touching the various buttons and controls impacts the ride, but random ways and there could be just a variety of experiences that happen like a choose your own adventure. I think varied experiences and a more robust storytelling might be beneficial over control.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
"The range of motion is perhaps not as large as felt on Star Tours, and the physical sensation of flight isn’t really there. Combined with the limited range of motion and small non-3D video display, the overall flight experience is perhaps a little lacking."

So you are supposed to be flying on the the Falcon but there is limited range of motion, no 3D, and the sensation of flight isn't there. Seriously?

Only the lacking 3D part which would get in the way with the setup. There’s quite a bit of motion especially if the pilots suck

Jones14

Coaxium? No Death Star? No Star Destroyers?
No Death Star, but
right before you leave Corellia, there’s an under-construction Star Destroyer that you do a little too much damage to, and the whole thing starts collapsing as you escape underneath it. There’s also a bunch of Tie Fighters chasing you down for most of the mission, so there’s plenty of bad guy presence.

rkleinlein

Part of the new Disney motto, "Don't give the people what they want."
I remember the first time I rode the original Star Tours ride, there was some silly droid in the cockpit (voiced by Pee Wee Herman?) and I thought, why'd they give us this nonsense instead of C3-P0? But even that ride had the Death Star and Star Destroyers. And now it has C3-P0.

I'm sure others have already mentioned this, but I'm beginning to think Disney made a big mistake by giving this ride, and "Star Wars land" overall, very little in way of references to the places, characters, storylines, etc. that everyone loves and expects. Storytelling in a theme park attraction, even at Disney World, is nothing like storytelling in a movie. Fun as this ride may be, it's not going to make smuggling coaxium for Hondo Ohnaka an enduring part of the Star Wars story. Similarly, we remember and love the Mos Eisley cantina on Tatooine so Oga's cantina on Batuu is bound to fall short. My guess is that if you asked guests leaving Galaxy's Edge what Batuu, Hondo Ohnaka, or Oga are, you'd get a lot of blank stares.

I'm not saying EVERYTHING should reference the movies, but when you're dealing with such beloved and iconic characters and places I think the choice to deliberately exclude them was not a wise one. It's like if Universal had made their Harry Potter lands with no references any places or characters from the actual Harry Potter books/movies.

Are they going to get rid of the Jedi Training Academy (my son's favorite thing at Disney) because those characters do not inhabit Galaxy's Edge?

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
REVIEW - Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run at Disney's Hollywood Studios
Based on your review, how would you rate the ticket level? Solid D? C like Navi?

Honestly I think Disney's biggest miscalculation (and there were several) on the opening of this land was opening it without RotR. Having the land open with the second tier attraction without the first was, in retrospect, a bad move.

Still sounds like a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to it immensely when I eventually make it back to WDW....

doctornick

I remember the first time I rode the original Star Tours ride, there was some silly droid in the cockpit (voiced by Pee Wee Herman?) and I thought, why'd they give us this nonsense instead of C3-P0? But even that ride had the Death Star and Star Destroyers. And now it has C3-P0.

Eh. I like that they incorporated more established stuff in "The Adventure Continues" including the encounters with Vader and Stormtroopers but IMHO having C-3PO as the pilot was actually a bad choice. It is the kind of over the top idea that screams poorly conceived fan service over quality storytelling.

To each their own though. I'd prefer Rex taking us around.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Based on your review, how would you rate the ticket level? Solid D? C like Navi?

Honestly I think Disney's biggest miscalculation (and there were several) on the opening of this land was opening it without RotR. Having the land open with the second tier attraction without the first was, in retrospect, a bad move.

Still sounds like a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to it immensely when I eventually make it back to WDW....
I'd say it is a very solid D.
And agree on the phase opening. It should have been done at once as a complete land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom