Cell phones on rides (rant)

wombat

Now, hang on a second. I always take a pic of my food, and use those pics in my trip reports. I get more positive comments on these pics than any other facet of my trip reports. So yeah, lots of people are really interested in what my food looked like, including me.
Really, people are more interested in what you had to eat rather than what you did. Strange times we live in

wombat

I am really against people recording rides etc. I am sorry but it's just dumb. There are plenty of ride videos, shot on better equipment than whatever phone you are using. It's like taking a pic of a peacock at the zoo, we all know what one looks like and a better photographer somewhere has taken better pics of one before.
But it is YOUR experience, not somebody else's

nickys

Premium Member
I am really against people recording rides etc. I am sorry but it's just dumb. There are plenty of ride videos, shot on better equipment than whatever phone you are using. It's like taking a pic of a peacock at the zoo, we all know what one looks like and a better photographer somewhere has taken better pics of one before.

Those people also had to record it though.

And it’s also about recording their own memories. For all you know, that person recording in front of you may be recording their child’s first visit, or even their last visit due to a terminal diagnosis (child, gran, dad, whoever).

If it’s really annoying, like on a dark ride, fair enough. But otherwise just let other people do their own “dumb things”.

Club Cooloholic

But it is YOUR experience, not somebody else's
When you are recording it you're taking yourself out of that actual experience. I have no issue with fireworks, parades, character interactions, but I have no desire to see the glow of your phone during the Haunted Mansion, which takes me out of MY experience. Put on a gopro at least so its passive

wombat

I suggest you stay at home and watch other people's videos on YouTube, then you won't get annoyed

jaklgreen

Really, people are more interested in what you had to eat rather than what you did. Strange times we live in

I don't see it as people being interested in what others are eating for the sake of them eating it. I know that I use it as a research tool to decide if I want to eat there. You can read a menu all day, but looking at the food and getting opinions on it, can be very helpful. Especially how expensive it is to go out now.

phillip9698

The difference being when I take a pic of a peacock and put it in my photo album when I look at it 20 years later it jogs my memory of the trip to the zoo. Do you not take pics of anything when you go places since someone with a better camera has already photographed it?

That's nowhere near recording an entire dark ride with a bright phone.

Club Cooloholic

The difference being when I take a pic of a peacock and put it in my photo album when I look at it 20 years later it jogs my memory of the trip to the zoo. Do you not take pics of anything when you go places since someone with a better camera has already photographed it?

That's nowhere near recording an entire dark ride with a bright phone.
I do, and maybe the peacock is not the best example and honestly take as many photos as you want of shrubbery or peacocks, but I think we over photo thing nowadays, if we all still had to pay for film, would we waste so much time shooting so much? I take pics of my family, views from my hotel room etc, but I never felt the need to film a ride I was on.

ninjaprincesst

I agree it ruins the ride or the show when someone is holding up their huge cell phone with light right in front of you, and lets face it 99.5% of these people will never look at said video ever again. I think the no flash photography rule should apply to cell phone and ipad videos as well. It also gets on my nerves when you have staked out a spot for a parade an hour ahead of time then right before it starts some moron gets in front of you blocking your view with their ipad.

thomas998

I suppose Selfies are OK if there is something interesting behind you but who is really interested in what your food looked like.
Sometimes the photos can serve as a public service announcement to help others. I know my daughter posted a photo of what truly was one of the coolest looking cupcakes we had ever seen at DL.... but which also were the most god awful tasting things that anyone could ever imagine... I like to think that if she managed to warn even on unsuspecting visitor of the nastiness hidden beneath that perfectly swirled frosting that she did someone a favor.

OG Runner

I’m sure there have been other threads about this, but I’ve never seen so big a problem with people waving phones about as on my current vacation here.

It seems that on any slow ride, or show, if we’re not sitting in literally the front row some idiot in front of us decides they have to film the ride on their phone. It’s hugely distracting and ruins the ride for me. It’s unbelievable how obnoxious people are.

Was at Fantasmic tonight, and we made a point of sitting at the front to avoid phones. I turned around once when one of the boats was going past and it seemed like a sea of phones being waved around behind us!

We were in Universal and they have a “no cellphone” rule on most of their rides / shows. It came as a real shock coming to WDW from that.

Am I the only one who finds this completely unacceptable??? If someone just wants a video of a ride there will already be 100s on YouTube without them having to ruin my experience by filming it the themselves!

Edit: To clarify, I’m specifically talking about people holding phones with bright screens up right in my field of vision on dark rides / shows.

The angry emoji is just to note, I feel your pain and completely in agreement with your rant. People seem so intent on bringing their
vacation home with them that they have absolutely no concern as to how their actions are effecting other people's vacations. It is the
same with not looking where you are going with your strollers or standing in front of someone, at the last minute and putting someone
on your shoulders at the fireworks or a parade.

Jedi Stitch

Settings. Just need signage telling people how to set the low light settings, or maybe remind people the suggestion on the maps about using back lit displays on dark rides is a strong suggestion to turn it down. I have been a bad person, then some rando showed me how to turn down the brightness.

Tom P.

Why does everyone seem to assume that any photos or videos taken only have value of they are somehow "interesting to others"? When I am on vacation, I take plenty of photos and videos. Yet, not only do I not share them on social media but I actually do not have one single social media account. These forums are about as close as I come to social media. And I don't post my personal snapshots and videos here.

I take stuff for me and my family. That's it. And, yes, my wife and I have gone back and looked at our Walt Disney World photos and videos on numerous occasions. And they do hold value to us. Sure, I can (and do) get on YouTube and find professional photos and videos of anything and everything at WDW, but those are not of mine and my family's experiences.

I do try to be mindful of how much I have my face in my phone on vacation and avoid focusing too much on photos and videos to the point that I miss out on the actual experience. And I do try to be respectful of others, such as not shooting video with my backlit screen on a dark ride. But the photos and videos I take definitely do have value to me and we definitely do look at them.

Incomudro

Settings. Just need signage telling people how to set the low light settings, or maybe remind people the suggestion on the maps about using back lit displays on dark rides is a strong suggestion to turn it down. I have been a bad person, then some rando showed me how to turn down the brightness.

I'd imagine most people have no idea that there is a brightness setting on their phone, and that if they are made aware that there is such a setting - just shortly before boarding a ride - that they are going to have little success in remedying this situation.
"You've got to remember that these are simple farmers... These are people of the land... The common clay of the New West...
Morons."

Kevin Wittlieff

My two cents - I firmly agree - too many people, too many cameras, too many flashes. That being said - I do snap a quick shot of either a ride queue or the ride itself - with the Flash OFF (in fact my flash is off by default, if I see I need it for something, I'll turn it on, the flash does not help at all in the rides/events) - as a simple reminder I was on that ride, or to help me recreate my memory ride order for the day. There are SO many great videos in YouTube that people with far better equipment that I have already posted. I don't need to record my every moment in the parks, rides, events, I simply look up the video. I want to live in the moment, not live in the recording device for a possible future moment.

Janir

I’m sure there have been other threads about this, but I’ve never seen so big a problem with people waving phones about as on my current vacation here.

It seems that on any slow ride, or show, if we’re not sitting in literally the front row some idiot in front of us decides they have to film the ride on their phone. It’s hugely distracting and ruins the ride for me. It’s unbelievable how obnoxious people are.

Was at Fantasmic tonight, and we made a point of sitting at the front to avoid phones. I turned around once when one of the boats was going past and it seemed like a sea of phones being waved around behind us!

We were in Universal and they have a “no cellphone” rule on most of their rides / shows. It came as a real shock coming to WDW from that.

Am I the only one who finds this completely unacceptable??? If someone just wants a video of a ride there will already be 100s on YouTube without them having to ruin my experience by filming it the themselves!

Edit: To clarify, I’m specifically talking about people holding phones with bright screens up right in my field of vision on dark rides / shows.
I can understnd wanting to film your ride, I do that with my GoPro now these days. But when I did record a dark ride, Flash Off ment darken and cover most of the screen, otherwise your spoiling the darkness and ride for everyone. Courtesy to others seems to get missed alot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom