REVIEW - Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo at Disney's Hollywood Studios

TJJohn12

I'm thinking the size problems in WDW are a result of having identical lands in both parks. WDI had space limitations to work with in Disneyland that simply don't exist in Florida and the common areas of Galaxy's Edge should reflect that. But they don't. I just don't get it.
I'm actually hoping *this* is the future use of the expansion pad north of Ronto's Roasters. I know we're all hoping for attraction capacity when the inevitable expansion comes, but two more QS offerings of this caliber (and size) would pad out the overall land capacity while still allowing each space to feel intimate and unique as this one seems to. Add in another shop stall and maybe a second theater for Savi's and it would greatly expand the center of the village and flesh out the Outpost nicely.

I *hate* eating in a noisy open dining halls ala Pinocchio's Village Haus, the newly gutted Backlot Express, or the large cavernous dining rooms of Pizzafari. I can't stand the ballroom at BOG, and always hightail it to the lower sensory overload of the West Wing. Ditto for the bridge dining room of Columbia Harbor House - always calm and quiet, but has heart and soul.

If they added a couple more small (McDonald's dining room sized) QS options with this character to GE rather than making a giant showroom, that'd be awesome.

I'm excited to eat at DB7 in a couple years when I get down there.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It's not too small with a menu like that!

Having actually eaten a number of the items on that menu I quite enjoyed them. I'm tired of every single restaurant in the parks being homogenized down to the lowest common denominator of chicken nuggets and burgers. It's nice to have some creativity and variety within the park. And since there are plenty of other options around the park you aren't forced to eat there- just walk to another location and choose from their menu.

Macca250

As many have said, I don’t really understand why parts of the land have been designed to be small, with the Cantina and DB7 being the worst offenders. Whatever the excuse might be (DLR clone, cosy by design etc.) it doesn’t make sense to me? Surely you’d want to make use of the available space to maximise throughput and grab more revenue? Even if there are plans for future expansion, seems particularly strange to consciously design a land with tight spaces. I mean, all other Disney projects aside, a Star Wars land is, by default, a long awaited project that’s guaranteed to be flooded with guests.

Personally, i’d be thinking carefully about all the people who could be buying stuff instead of queuing out the door just to get into the quick service restaurant. But maybe there’s method in the madness? 🤔 But I can’t see it at the moment....

hopemax

Just got back from Disneyland, and tried the Tip Yip Salad and the Oi-Oi Puff dessert. Both were very tasty, and I'd happily have them again. Although, I think I might get a little tired of the spices after a few times close together. The chicken was spicier than I expected, but not too spicy. I fear that they will make it more bland after it opens in WDW.

But yeah, the size of the restaurant is unacceptable considering it's the main restaurant in the land. I continue to not understand how Disney gets touted in the press as still being the gold standard for managing space and people when they fail so often in practice. Every time Disney opens something new I see lack of seating in the places people want to sit, too much exposure for sun and rain, not only for guests but for CMs (characters and entertainment) and I end up thinking, does Disney not know how to design FUNCTIONAL spaces anymore?

ToTBellHop

Just got back from Disneyland, and tried the Tip Yip Salad and the Oi-Oi Puff dessert. Both were very tasty, and I'd happily have them again. Although, I think I might get a little tired of the spices after a few times close together. The chicken was spicier than I expected, but not too spicy. I fear that they will make it more bland after it opens in WDW.

But yeah, the size of the restaurant is unacceptable considering it's the main restaurant in the land. I continue to not understand how Disney gets touted in the press as still being the gold standard for managing space and people when they fail so often in practice. Every time Disney opens something new I see lack of seating in the places people want to sit, too much exposure for sun and rain, not only for guests but for CMs (characters and entertainment) and I end up thinking, does Disney not know how to design FUNCTIONAL spaces anymore?
Trowbridge worked on designing WWoHP before leaving Universal Creative, so the similarities here should really be no surprise. I just don’t understand why they put him in charge of SWGE to mimic WWoHP and then cut so many of his ideas!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom