Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ParkPeeker

Are you on Instagram? It’s on the @imagineerpodcast instastory.

This is a still image from the story slide I’m referring to.
saw the story, I don't remember if that radio is at the DL version, but that music definitely was not playing ever in the queue during my visit.

ToTBellHop

So you are saying they are thrilled none of that is there - not saying they are not and that is certainly their right to be thrilled none of that is there, just haven't seen those reviews. You can't have a "glowing" review unless you're thrilled with all of that not being there. Unless it is one of those "well it's fine for what they did but it could be so much better if they did all of that" reviews, which is far from "glowing". Again, if people are thrilled none of that is there, God bless.
That’s nonsense. You can be thrilled by something and still critique it. Nothing is perfect. I am THRILLED by Flight of Passage but could think of a couple ways to make it better. Even Tower of Terror is imperfect (even in 1994 when everything worked). I personally find the criticisms of SWGE to be rather nit-picky but that’s just me. Most would be easily solved.

RobWDW1971

That’s nonsense. You can be thrilled by something and still critique it. Nothing is perfect. I am THRILLED by Flight of Passage but could think of a couple ways to make it better. Even Tower of Terror is imperfect (even in 1994 when everything worked). I personally find the criticisms of SWGE to be rather nit-picky but that’s just me. Most would be easily solved.

If you call that list of a dozen fundamental concepts of a Star Wars land "nit-picky", than we will just agree to disagree and I'm glad you're thrilled with what they built.

ToTBellHop

If you call that list of a dozen fundamental concepts of a Star Wars land "nit-picky", than we will just agree to disagree and I'm glad you're thrilled with what they built.
Considering much of what you’re whining about happens 100 yards outside the land at Star Tours, yes. They should have kept the streetmosphere and the TSR. I bet we will get each one day.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yes, I could tell as she walks through the land and is completely ignored every time I've gone. I get it, you think it is amazing and you are thrilled that the only Jedi in SWGE is Rey. Understood.
No, now you're putting words in my mouth. I would love more Jedi. I hope they add them as time goes by. I do think they need more. But your statement was untrue and I was calling you on it.

Recognizing that the land is not perfect and wanting them to improve it doesn't mean one has to hate the land. And now I'm done feeding trolls.

ParkPeeker

side note, those insta stories reminded me of just how un lively the queue of the ride is . It feels like tower of terror, which isn't a compliment, because that place is supposed to be dead 😐. Like everybody stopped what they were doing and left.

On the positive the hondo animatronic is amazing, and music does liven it up a bit :)

ToTBellHop

And then maybe when the land becomes this land we have all created in our minds vs. what they actually built, the reviews will be glowing.
Personally, as this is a WDW board, I think folks should stick a pin in this until we all see it. I don’t trust Californian APs. The way they think of us WDW fans as low-brow losers who will accept anything appalls me. Here in Florida, we are on vacation rather than feeling guilty for calling in “sick” at work to go to Disneyland for the 243rd time this year, so we don’t have time or energy to whine about ambient sounds. We are too busy making memories on our once-in-a-while family vacations, threatening our kids that they better start having fun REAL fast while we enjoy the mixture of sweat from the 95-degree air and water from the tropical downpour 12-minutes ago on our underwear.

And the Californians think they’re dedicated. Betcha the only laminated sheets they bring into the parks are lists of all the complaints they found online to make sure they agree when they livestream 3 minutes later.

mikejs78

Premium Member
side note, those insta stories reminded me of just how un lively the queue of the ride is . It feels like tower of terror, which isn't a compliment, because that place is supposed to be dead 😐. Like everybody stopped what they were doing and left.

On the positive the hondo animatronic is amazing, and music does liven it up a bit :)
ToT is one of the best queues in WDW....

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
So in these "glowing" reviews they are truly excited about and raving about:
- No moving droids
- No aliens walking around
- No Jedi walking around
- No smugglers walking around (since Batuu is supposedly some smuggler's destination (which would only be known if you read a WDI interview)
- No light saber duels
- No use of Force of any kind in the land
- No way for kids to engage in the Force
- No appearance of the iconic Star Wars characters such as Yoda, Vader, Boba Fett, C3P0, R2D2, Kenobi, Luke, Leia, Han, etc, etc.
- No Star Wars music
- No Mos Eisley cantina, only a tiny knockoff cantina with no alien band playing
- No movement, but a completely static land besides one droid turning a spit

There’s moving droids outside and in the droid depot. More would be better.

Chewie is an alien but yeah. There needs to be some other characters.

Hard to do a lightsaber duel with those plastic glow sticks. Maybe we’ll see something inside Rise.

Kylo Ren chokes a guy. We need more of that.

Kids using the force. What is this, The Phantom Menace?

All those characters are dead. R2D2 and C3PO would be welcome though.

Some music score would be nice near the Falcon. I have a feeling Rise will be wall to wall music. Everything else is fine with the atmospheric sounds.

Mos Eisely is on Tatooine. D’oh. DJ Rex is better than any band.

You forgot about the Dianoga in the water tank. So there’s 2 things that move.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Personally, as this is a WDW board, I think folks should stick a pin in this until we all see it. I don’t trust Californian APs. The way they think of us WDW fans as low-brow losers who will accept anything appalls me. Here in Florida, we are on vacation rather than feeling guilty for calling in “sick” at work to go to Disneyland for the 243rd time this year, so we don’t have time or energy to whine about ambient sounds. We are too busy making memories on our once-in-a-while family vacations, threatening our kids that they better start having fun REAL fast while we enjoy the mixture of sweat from the 95-degree air and water from the tropical downpour 12-minutes ago on our underwear.

And the Californians think they’re dedicated. Betcha the only laminated sheets they bring into the parks are lists of all the complaints they found online to make sure they agree when they livestream 3 minutes later.
This post made my night.

ParkPeeker

I'm personally not an AP(though I got in heavily discounted because of one, thanks man! xD) and only went once this year, once last year, and before that the last time I went was 2015. GE didn't impress me that much. I'll wait until at least RotR is open to visit again

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

ToT is one of the best queues in WDW....

It truly is. It serves its story so well. Smugger’s rum does not hype the “epic” flight we are about to take. It kills it.

Smugger’s run feels like we are roaming through a workshop after Chernobyl. Everyone left in a moments notice.

Edit** they should sell smuggler’s rum.

Last edited:

djkidkaz

bclane

This is just a curious concept to me - I listed all of the fundamental things one would expect in a Star Wars land at a Disney park. You said all of those things should be there. None of those things are there. Yet you are "thrilled" by the land that lacks all of those fundamental things. Not questioning you being thrilled and I think that is great, just truly a strange disconnect to me.
I'm not thrilled that they didn't include all the things they promised, but yeah, I'm blown away by what is there. The things I don't like about something don't tend to detract from the things I do like. I'm simply able to compartmentalize things. For example, while I hated the midichlorian concept and every second that Jar Jar Binks was on screen (and a few other things), I still really enjoyed the prequels. Despite the things I didn't like (or even hated), I loved and still love those movies....and in fact all of Star Wars. I believe that Batuu will only improve over time. They invested too much in it to not fix the things that people are complaining about imo.

Mickeyboof

Jeez. You can’t make a land fully immersive and still have people in graphic tees from jcpenny roaming around.

The lady who’s stroller and sleeping toddler were the first in GE totally sold the immersion for me.

Can’t wait to see all the landspeeders, sorry EVs, in Florida.

However, if the land were just fun and bolstering like the other Disney parks, you’d likely never notice Jan and Bill from Idaho on their once-in-a-lifetime vacation to a Batuu.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Jeez. You can’t make a land fully immersive and still have people in graphic tees from jcpenny roaming around.

The lady who’s stroller and sleeping toddler were the first in GE totally sold the immersion for me.

Can’t wait to see all the landspeeders, sorry EVs, in Florida.

However, if the land were just fun and bolstering like the other Disney parks, you’d likely never notice Jan and Bill from Idaho on their once-in-a-lifetime vacation to a Batuu.
🙄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom