Why are so many adults are obsessed with WDW?

Scooter

If you went to see your doctor because you didn't feel well, and he prescribed a pill that made you feel happy, and safe, and made all your worries seem to fade away and made you feel like you felt
like you did as a child, and made you forget about your real world problems, when that prescription ran out, wouldn't you ask for a refill?

disneyfireman

It just as its supposed to be...a place where all worries in life disappear. Ill always goto DL or WDW even long alder the kids grow up. IMHO it can't be beat.

The_Jobu

If you went to see your doctor because you didn't feel well, and he prescribed a pill that made you feel happy, and safe, and made all your worries seem to fade away and made you feel like you felt
like you did as a child, and made you forget about your real world problems, when that prescription ran out, wouldn't you ask for a refill?

I'd question why my doctor is prescribing me ecstasy tabs.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
This type of question always makes me so confused.
Its like asking why an adult would want birthday gifts or why an adult would decorate a Christmas tree.
Just because you're an adult does not mean you cannot enjoy things that children enjoy.
Disney is for everyone. Walt himself said that.
When he had a train in his backyard it was not just for his kids. He drove it and adults rode in it.
He also made his movies for everyone.
If it was only for kids then why was Clark Gable at the Snow White premiere and crying when she was in the glass coffin?
If its only for kids then why do adults voice the characters?
See why that type of question baffles me?

mukorasirish

I know I might get flamed, so here's my disclaimer: No, I'm not a troll. No, I don't have any preconceived views on this. Yes, I'm just honestly curious.

This board is amazing. I've learned more about planning the first WDW family trip than I ever thought possible. I even know the acronyms! But I am curious about the fascination with all things Disney from adults. If it wasn't for my kids, I know I wouldn't be going, and I did go to WDW 4 times from the ages 5-15. So, what draws people to it? It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?

Would live some views on this.

I am asked this often - and this is my response:

Disney offers me the vacation I NEED when I need it. And that can change in a moment. If I need to get away to decompress and just relax by the pool and catch up on sleep - I can do that. If I want to enjoy great food and wine and window shop in shops - I can do that. If I want to get away and be crazy and relive younger years going on rides and laughing with characters - I can do that. If I want to connect with my kids and make amazing memories - I can do that. If I want to celebrate something - I can do that. When my dad passed and I needed to be in a place that made me smile - Disney did that. If I plan to do any of the above and get to Disney and change my mind - I can. It fits what I need when I need it and yet affords the flexibility should my mood or needs change. That's why I go to Disney as an adult and will continue to do so.

mdcpr

Original Poster
I am asked this often - and this is my response:

Disney offers me the vacation I NEED when I need it. And that can change in a moment. If I need to get away to decompress and just relax by the pool and catch up on sleep - I can do that. If I want to enjoy great food and wine and window shop in shops - I can do that. If I want to get away and be crazy and relive younger years going on rides and laughing with characters - I can do that. If I want to connect with my kids and make amazing memories - I can do that. If I want to celebrate something - I can do that. When my dad passed and I needed to be in a place that made me smile - Disney did that. If I plan to do any of the above and get to Disney and change my mind - I can. It fits what I need when I need it and yet affords the flexibility should my mood or needs change. That's why I go to Disney as an adult and will continue to do so.
Wow! This is incredible. You shared about your dad passing, and you reminded me of something I have not thought of in years. My grandmother took me to MK in 1975. In 2001 I was at Epcot I learned that she was sick and I was told to get on a plane to say my goodbyes---I arrived at her deathbed in time for her to see me and close her eyes for one last time. I NEVER put these two things together until now. I guess WDW is more important to me than I thought.

Disneyismylife

I know I might get flamed, so here's my disclaimer: No, I'm not a troll. No, I don't have any preconceived views on this. Yes, I'm just honestly curious.

This board is amazing. I've learned more about planning the first WDW family trip than I ever thought possible. I even know the acronyms! But I am curious about the fascination with all things Disney from adults. If it wasn't for my kids, I know I wouldn't be going, and I did go to WDW 4 times from the ages 5-15. So, what draws people to it? It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?

We live in Florida and we went to Disney almost every summer from the age of 5. Now that I’m an adult(46), I’ve been a passholder for quite a while and we now take our kids/grandkids 5-6 times a year. We all love it so much. Hard to explain, but when we arrive at a park it’s just magical for us. I immediately become a child again 😁 so much wonder and excitement. My husband and I also take a couple of trips a year by ourselves and have just as much fun(if not more 😉). I do understand that it’s not for everyone, but we are definitely a Disney family.

Amunet

I think escapism has a good bit to do with any travel destination.
For me, I have never really been into the whole bars/alcoholic drinking/partying type of things, let alone vacations which seem to highlight that for adults. Same with Cruises, just add gambling in the mix (also not really interested). So, what activities are left? Spas, food and other entertainment (festivals, museums, arts, cultural). Disney kind of ticks those other boxes for me AND it allows me to still do the fun things I enjoy like crafting (on Disney Cruise, sometimes at WDW), enjoying fictional characters , dressing up for Halloween and going Trick-or-Treating (for the Halloween party), and see animals in a healthy environment. There are also tours for more educational experiences (I enjoy) and special events that make me feel a little bit VIP (firework dessert parties, Club Villain).
Also, ultimately, Disney makes me feel special. The random 'Happy Birthday!" greeting when wearing a Disney button, pixie dust surprises and really, just the effort of all Cast Members to make us feel special with wonderful and caring customer service (most of the time).

I love to travel other places as well, but Disney is what I keep coming back to because I'm a kid at heart and I like to feel special.

matt clark

My mother was pregnant with me when she was 15 years old and I was born when she was 16. My younger mother would scrap money together to buy me just about anything I wanted for my birthdays.. christmas.. and shed also be able to take me to universal and disney a few times a year. We never took any out of country or even out of state vacations. When we went to disney and universal though the word NO was said very often. See, we would stay at the days inn ( if we stayed at all), get counter service, and any souvenir buying was extremely rare. I also was born in 1985.. I would wake up and watch the new things on the disney channel.. At school in our music class wed watch disney sing a longs a lot. At christmas time wed throw on the vinyls . When I was a kid Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc. were new, fresh, and exciting. I remember in school they played the orange bird cartoon for us. Growing up in Florida Disney and Universal became a HUGE part of my life... its now evolved into a lifestyle brand.

Now that I am an adult, I can bring my own kids to the parks and since I have a large enough income I can say YES to a lot of things I was understandably told NO to before. I can go to these sit down restaurants and experience things I was missing. Disney Springs is also AMAZING.. As an adult I can take a 2 hour drive to Orlando and experience some of the BEST food in the country for Birthdays and special occasions. When I wear the shirts of of Disney attractions or characters it gives me an opportunity to express something that symbolizes something special about the way i grew up. ( i dont have tattoos lol)

I also take great pride in knowing all the ins and outs of both parks. When family and friends come from out of town to visit the parks I get a lot of joy from helping plan their vacations and saiving them tons of money.

My mother and father werent together very long.. My mother actually has been married 4 times now. I have a lot of strong memories of universal and disney of both my parents together as a family. I really cherish those.

My fiance has recently had to go on disability and ive had to discontinue our passes for a few years until some things get straitened out. I really miss the total escapist burn off of going to the parks every two-three weeks. I didnt realize how much I'd truly miss it. Im working a TON of OT at work lately and i find myself a lot more stressed then I am normally. Weve gone to disney springs regularly and that has helped a bit and I CANNOT WAIT! to do halloween Horror Nights for my Birthday this year... ( brining my 13 year old daughter for the first time!)

I also look forward to not only being able to visit the parks frequently when the kids are out of the house, but I also cant wait to bring my future grandchildren!

Also... i visited Las Vegas for the first time 2 years ago... I came away saying, Vegas is just like Disney, but vegas has less rides and Disney doesnt have gambling lol.

ermccartin

Disney is Not just for kids. Am a senior now.And first time observed in thev80,s. Been several times since. Yes lots of entertainment for children and teens. But plenty more for the child within the adults. And plenty to one looked.

Cesar R M

Funny to see this thread particularly talking about adult Fans.
Specially after that hilarious viral tweet of a woman with kids blasting childless couples for "ruining" her vacations by visiting WDW without kids. (think KatieBug but blaming all of her and her "precious" woes on to adult childless fans)
laughing_tom_cruise.jpg

mdcpr

Original Poster
Funny to see this thread particularly talking about adult Fans.
Specially after that hilarious viral tweet of a woman with kids blasting childless couples for "ruining" her vacations by visiting WDW without kids. (think KatieBug but blaming all of her and her "precious" woes on to adult childless fans)
View attachment 394902
Asking about the appeal to adult fans has nothing to do with blasting childless couples at WDW. My question comes out of curiosity, and the tweet came out of madness. Not even remotely close.

No Name

I agree it’s absolutely unhealthy. Any obsession or blind loyalty to any brand or company is unhealthy. I’m not a fan of Disney per say, but rather a fan of themed entertainment, just like certain people love and follow video games, music, sports, economics, ecology, astronomy, etc. And that’s not unhealthy, especially if your career is in the field.

Last edited:

Efirefly

We came for the first time on spring break in college. The next time we came was for our honeymoon. Our next few trips were with friends from college.

Then we had a little girl. While she was small, she stayed with my parents and we still went with friends. Each trip after she was born, we thought of the things we would like to do with her when she was old enough to go.

Once she was old enough, we went at least every other year, never waiting in lines, because we knew we were coming back. When she was a teenager, we brought her and her friends. Now we bring her, her husband and our granddaughter. We never rush. We do separate things (sometimes I go to different rides/events by myself). We always meet together for dinner.

On the off years, we have often cruises on Disney Cruise Lines. I feel the service is great, there’s always something going on, transport is available, and it’s (transport, the parks and cruises) generally safe (although you always have to be aware of your surroundings these days). We don’t neglect our responsibilities for the child/children along so they aren’t brats. We don’t get overtired. As we’ve gotten older and had surgeries, we have used the various forms of rental help when we couldn’t walk as well.

It was a joy to take my mother when she didn’t want to walk a lot, but she did want to stay and see her granddaughter and great granddaughter.
The flexibility of accommodations allowed us to have a villa for that. We use a studio or room when just 2-3 of us go or a 2 bedroom when 5 or so go.

It meets all of the different passions of individuals in the group (wildlife, rides, food, special events, crafts, cultures, spa, science, agriculture, gardens, etc.). We done a lot of the special items there (Keys to the Kingdom, garden tours, dinner shows, first haircuts, princess dresses, private fireworks tours - and so many more). It’s a place to make memories with all ages.

So yes, I love it. Everywhere I go there I remember another memory - and they are all happy or funny. Now I want to go again (and right now - lol)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom