News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

One thing that bugs me about Galaxy's Edge is the names for certain buildings that make no sense or have a pay off. For example, Dok Ondar's actually has a Dok Ondar AA that is impressive as $hit, better than Hondo to be honest. It works to sell the theme of the shop. But who the hell is Oga and why is she not in the cantina? Who the ducking hell is Savi and why are they not in the secret lightsaber shop?!! How is this person related to Jedi or the force?? why do they sell lightsabers? Is Savi the person talking in the presentation, if so that is confusing for they said their name is Hector?? Does Savi control the gatherers?? Who are these creatures or people these things are named after?? You need to clue your audience to this in the land itself. I don't wana hear how WOOKAPEDIA explains this crap. It needs to be explained in the experience in the land. just one of the questionable creative choices they made with the land that bugs me.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

They should just re-name the cantina CAPT. REX'S CANTINA since he is the only one in there. The story could be after being forced to retire from Star Tour he took the galactic credits from his severance package and settled in batuu and opened the cantina and with all the money he has made in it over the years he was able to upgrade certain parts of his body to better quality parts that would last longer to explain why he looks different. and that is me just spit balling here.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
One thing that bugs me about Galaxy's Edge is the names for certain buildings that make no sense or have a pay off. For example, Dok Ondar's actually has a Dok Ondar AA that is impressive as $hit, better than Hondo to be honest. It works to sell the theme of the shop. But who the hell is Oga and why is she not in the cantina? Who the ducking hell is Savi and why are they not in the secret lightsaber shop?!! How is this person related to Jedi or the force?? why do they sell lightsabers? Is Savi the person talking in the presentation, if so that is confusing for they said their name is Hector?? Does Savi control the gatherers?? Who are these creatures or people these things are named after?? You need to clue your audience to this in the land itself. I don't wana hear how WOOKAPEDIA explains this crap. It needs to be explained in the experience in the land. just one of the questionable creative choices they made with the land that bugs me.

Because Oga runs the shop who rebuilt Rex after he crash landed on Batuu. That’s all you really need to know.

Savi is apparently a name of some importance. Maybe it really is a scrap metal place who dabbles in lightsabers on the side.

None of this stuff bothered me. It’s a dumpy town full of shops on a planet you never heard of. Basically any Star Wars movie.

mickEblu

Because Oga runs the shop who rebuilt Rex after he crash landed on Batuu. That’s all you really need to know.

Savi is apparently a name of some importance. Maybe it really is a scrap metal place who dabbles in lightsabers on the side.

None of this stuff bothered me. It’s a dumpy town full of shops on a planet you never heard of. Basically any Star Wars movie.

Lol I like this. From now on I’m calling Galaxies Edge ... Dumpy Town.

Phroobar

New signage being added today.

BeyondThunderdome-Banner006.jpg

rsm

And when that central area moves out onto the track, one would feel like they are in the cockpit of an Xwing, rather than the car of a coaster?
Its always on the track and you are inside the cockpit. Thats the beauty of the Xwing design that really works for this application naturally - when you're in that cockpit in a coaster style retraint your vision is limitted to about 160 degrees. From the cockpit of an Xwing 160 degrees means you basically can't see anything but the nose, which is part of your coaster vehicle.

rsm

I don't recall ever complaining about it. Hyperspace Mountain is one of my favorite rides. Its a theme park - sometimes it's okay to have to flex your suspension of disbelief to enjoy something fun and exciting. Hashtag Hagrid's coaster. Could it have cost 10 billion dollars and had a throughput of 100 people per hour and been 100% immersive? Probably. But what they built is a great compromise.

Too much VR and people complain it's just a simulator. Too much of a ride and people complain it's just a roller coaster in the dark. Disney imagineered a whole new immersive planet and people complain they just want what was in the movies. People just complain too much - not much can be done except, apparently, discuss things ad nauseam for 900 pages, which is apparently fun in itself as here we still go :).

People were arguing about how to make an Xwing coaster work - I proposed a solution. Nothing groundbreaking - agreed. But hardly a flat ride spinner with xwing seats either.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Where's Min and Bill? Where's Chester and Hester? Where's Mr. Derby?

TROR

I don't see the fascination with a x-wing coaster. It seems rather unimaginative to me. So your ride vehicle is a x-wing on a coaster in a dark warehouse. You already have that and you all complain about it.
Imaginative or not, a land based on a pre existing franchise should give me something I want from that franchise. Ever since I was a kid I’ve wanted to pilot an X Wing. Galaxy’s Edge could have fulfilled that childhood fantasy, instead they didn’t.

drod1985

Imaginative or not, a land based on a pre existing franchise should give me something I want from that franchise. Ever since I was a kid I’ve wanted to pilot an X Wing. Galaxy’s Edge could have fulfilled that childhood fantasy, instead they didn’t.

Lots of me/I in that sentiment.

If you asked me I'd pick flying the Falcon, especially if it means I can do so with a few of my buddies or my wife and son in tow. And we get to preface that experience with the Falcon walkthrough.

The land is what it is. I wanted Star Tours to be incorporated, a third family-friendly attraction to be built for opening, better designs for the Savi's components, a guest-facing second level to some buildings, forced perspective drones to simulate ships in the distance, DHS's TSL entrance to be covered, more roaming droids/aliens, a period correct Kylo costume, a period correct Falcon dish, a spot for Jedi Academy, etc... But we aren't or won't be getting those any time soon. So I let it go and look to enjoy the land as it is, not as I'd prefer it to be.

The point is that we hope WDI designed the land with the best intentions for the masses. Each of our personal gripes don't necessarily apply to the majority.

TROR

Lots of me/I in that sentiment.

If you asked me I'd pick flying the Falcon, especially if it means I can do so with a few of my buddies or my wife and son in tow. And we get to preface that experience with the Falcon walkthrough.

The land is what it is. I wanted Star Tours to be incorporated, a third family-friendly attraction to be built for opening, better designs for the Savi's components, a guest-facing second level to some buildings, forced perspective drones to simulate ships in the distance, DHS's TSL entrance to be covered, more roaming droids/aliens, a period correct Kylo costume, a period correct Falcon dish, a spot for Jedi Academy, etc... But we aren't or won't be getting those any time soon. So I let it go and look to enjoy the land as it is, not as I'd prefer it to be.

The point is that we hope WDI designed the land with the best intentions for the masses. Each of our personal gripes don't necessarily apply to the majority.
Seeing as how poor of reviews I've heard from actual people for the Falcon and even the land itself, there's more than just myself being unhappy with the land.

drod1985

Seeing as how poor of reviews I've heard from actual people for the Falcon and even the land itself, there's more than just myself being unhappy with the land.

We've already had the review discussion, so we don't need to go around in circles over it. The average review isn't "poor."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom