News Tomorrowland love

T.Will

On the Peoplemover, wasn't there a blacked out wall all the way around space mountain? Because I can see a good deal of the ride. I seem to remember only being able to look up to see stars because it was blacked out in front of me in the past.
There's only a blacked-out wall where the load ceiling is, as it's the roof of the load area. If I recall correctly, enclosed it to reduce light spill on the ride. I actually remember going on the Peoplemover and looking down to see people boarding the ride.

trainplane3

There's only a blacked-out wall where the load ceiling is, as it's the roof of the load area. If I recall correctly, enclosed it to reduce light spill on the ride. I actually remember going on the Peoplemover and looking down to see people boarding the ride.
Good to know.
Also, I like the gradient here:

hpyhnt 1000

I get the reasons for enclosing the loading area, and the replacement dome projection above the switchbacks isn't half bad, but there's no substitute for the original open roof design. There was such a sense of occasion and anticipation looking up from the load area and seeing the TTA gliding past, the shooting stars streaking across, and the other rockets zipping through the darkness.

Which reminds me - removing the glow-in-the-dark stripes from the rockets was a huge mistake and the ride suffers for it.

It'd be nice if Disney would spend a few pennies to give SM the proper refurb it deserved 10 years ago, and it'd be nice if they'd bring some of these elements back while they're at it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
On the Peoplemover, wasn't there a blacked out wall all the way around space mountain? Because I can see a good deal of the ride. I seem to remember only being able to look up to see stars because it was blacked out in front of me in the past.
No... load used to be visible as well as the ride.
The blacked-out wall encloses the 2009 load ceiling projections.

WDWTank

I miss that. Why did they get rid of it? :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom