Rumor "Black Box" Coming to DCA?

lazyboy97o

The building, the ride system and all the show doors, mechanical effects, lighting/projection systems would be the be expense. It should be designed so that artists, working mainly digitally, could easily and quickly change anything. It wouldn't take that much time or cost to paint some 2-D flats here and there to add dimension. Nothing added later would have to be designed as permanent; just slide the pieces into the existing permanent frames and stands.

And, heck, I bet Garner Holt could design a couple of AA's with easily-swappable faces and body parts. :D But, frankly, I'm not expecting any AAs on this.
Digital content is not exactly cheap. Even 2D flats would still have to be properly anchored like a more permanent ride.

Sharon&Susan

We already have a perfect Nightmare Before Christmas Ride.
As someone who thinks HMH is perfectly OK, I think there’s plenty to expand on in a full attraction. You could do have plenty of gags of the denizens of Halloween Town, Burton’s style would make for some great sets, and of course having the freedom to not having to stick to an existing ride. I’d personally love to see Oogie-Boogie’s lair fully realized in dark ride form.

Rich T

Digital content is not exactly cheap. Even 2D flats would still have to be properly anchored like a more permanent ride.
It’s still a fraction of the cost of building a new ride from scratch, and it’s the kind of asset creation they’d be doing anyway for a new film promotion in the parks. But now, instead of a mini parade, preview walkthrough or overlay, you get a new ride to bring locals back.

lazyboy97o

It’s still a fraction of the cost of building a new ride from scratch, and it’s the kind of asset creation they’d be doing anyway for a new film promotion in the parks. But now, instead of a mini parade, preview walkthrough or overlay, you get a new ride to bring locals back.
The content of a ride reflects a significant sum of its cost. New dark ride content is more work and expense than the 3D movies that were supposed to be updated regularly, the new games in Toy Story Midway Mania!, the stage shows at Disney’s Hollywood Studios or even just turning on the random drop system built into the Tower of Terror. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue is the only attraction that has really seen such updates, but being able to easily and continuously update the content was hyped as part of the original attraction’s opening in 1987.

BrianLo

Isn’t this basically what the mangled Mickey ride is going to be?

No, it would take a lot of energy for them to swap that ride out. There is quite a bit of permanent fixtures going in.

Easier than gutting Pirates? Sure I guess. But not doable in any reasonable timeframe.

Yes they can overlay Haunted Mansion in a few weeks, but it's still a Haunted Mansion. They can flick a switch and change the video in Soarin'... but it's still a version of Soarin'. Supposedly this can be reprogrammed into quite a different experience within days.

More like flicking a switch and turning Snow White into Toad.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
No, it would take a lot of energy for them to swap that ride out. There is quite a bit of permanent fixtures going in.

Easier than gutting Pirates? Sure I guess. But not doable in any reasonable timeframe.

Yes they can overlay Haunted Mansion in a few weeks, but it's still a Haunted Mansion. They can flick a switch and change the video in Soarin'... but it's still a version of Soarin'. Supposedly this can be reprogrammed into quite a different experience within days.

More like flicking a switch and turning Snow White into Toad.

Aside from a few figures and the train vehicles is there really that much that differentiates the Mickey Ride with this black box concept?

Phroobar

I hope Disney hands these out at the end of the ride.

DOFcZ4lV4AEYUQR.jpg

Jones14

Aside from a few figures and the train vehicles is there really that much that differentiates the Mickey Ride with this black box concept?
I think the chief difference is that while Mickey will also heavily rely on projection mapping, the mapping will be taking place on surfaces that have more in common with Sleeping Beauty Castle than a movie screen when it comes to dimensionality.

In other words, Mickey is getting fully built out sets and props that will get their color and detail from the projections, whereas this ride is getting a more simplified ‘corporate ballroom broken up by dividers’ set of screen walls that can be moved around to rearrange the space on a whim.

TROR

I think the chief difference is that while Mickey will also heavily rely on projection mapping, the mapping will be taking place on surfaces that have more in common with Sleeping Beauty Castle than a movie screen when it comes to dimensionality.

In other words, Mickey is getting fully built out sets and props that will get their color and detail from the projections, whereas this ride is getting a more simplified ‘corporate ballroom broken up by dividers’ set of screen walls that can be moved around to rearrange the space on a whim.
I’ve always gotten the impression Mickey’s railroad will have plywood cutouts as its sets as opposed to fully realized sets.

Jones14

I’ve always gotten the impression Mickey’s railroad will have plywood cutouts as its sets as opposed to fully realized sets.
I’m thinking of things like the tunnel sequence where you see Mickey and Minnie in their car, which seems to be mostly physical and detailed, albeit heavily stylized and cartoonish by design.

Professortango1

As someone who thinks HMH is perfectly OK, I think there’s plenty to expand on in a full attraction. You could do have plenty of gags of the denizens of Halloween Town, Burton’s style would make for some great sets, and of course having the freedom to not having to stick to an existing ride. I’d personally love to see Oogie-Boogie’s lair fully realized in dark ride form.

Oh I agree a NBC ride would have been fun and one was even mapped out. But now, the time has passed and Disney isn't going to spend money on creating a new NBC ride when they already have an incredibly successful version which brings major crowds to a 50 year old attraction for 4 months a year.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Do you really want creativity/ ingenuity from the current regime? Or think they re even capable of it? We need to go on conservation mode.
I think they can if the correct creative choices are made at the inception, however that has not been the case lately but does not mean it still cant be done by them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom