Anyone else not like Cars Land?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I like that it's exclusive to Disneyland. Many of the unique things that premiered at DCA were cloned to other parks, even if it made no sense like Soarin' Over California or Toy Story Midway Mania and subsequently became terrible experiences because of horrendously elevated wait times.
Well Soarin was brought to Epcot due to the DL 50th anniversary celebration so that is how that one makes sense.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The attraction still doesn’t make much sense in Epcot.

Disagree. Epcot is about the world.
California is part of the world.
And it makes even more sense now that its Soarin' around the world.
When it was Soarin' Over California it still made sense because the queue was different from the one in Cali so it seemed like you were going to board a flight to Cali.

Phroobar

It just seems that way but it’s not really the case. We re all here for the most part because we love Disneyland and to a lesser extent by association DCA. When it comes to Disneyland, most of us still love what most of the park has to offer. It’s easier to create a thread/ write a post to talk about what we don’t like than it is to talk about what we do like since the positives still far outweigh the negatives.

And then it’s also human nature.
How about bucking the internet trend and focus on the good things at the resort and at Disney World? It can't be that hard to focus on the good instead of bickering like children who's toy is better. I'm just sick and tired of these complaint fests.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Carsland is...just okay. I don't dislike it as much as I once did, but I also don't think it's worthy of all the praise it gets. In so many ways, it is the epitome of everything that is right and wrong with modern WDI: a bunch of really talented designers got together and created the absolute best product that could be expected from a concept that just isn't very compelling.

It faithfully recreates the town of Radiator Springs, but nobody was really asking for that. Although it fills in some more detail in our knowledge of the town, it really doesn't add anything of substance that isn't in the film. Instead of a romanticized version of a known location that captures the highlights in a new way, it's just a 1-for-1 copy of something I can experience just as well from the comfort of my couch at home. Conceptually, placing Galaxy's Edge in an all-new planet is far more compelling concept for a theme park environment; whether the specific location they created succeeds at that is still up for debate.

Additionally, a lot of the fun details are nothing more than silly puns and sight gags that don't add much depth or texture to the world; in that sense, the IP is a perfect match for DCA1.0. Sure, it's fun to see the taillight flowers or the countless cone-shaped things, but that's all superficial window dressing. In terms of meaningful story points or mood setting, there's really nothing we haven't already seen in the film, making it tough to convince me it's worth the hassle and cost of a theme park visit.

The attractions run the gamut from surprisingly fun (Mater's) to completely lackluster (trackless Luigi's). I enjoyed the previous iteration of Luigi's, but it was an odd fit that clearly never panned out like they had intended. Racers is fine, but doesn't live up to the hype, nor is there anything so special about it that makes it stand out in Disney's pantheon of headliner attractions. Although it's better than TestTrack (at least in it's current rendition), it's not so much better as to justify the 3x price tag. It's an enjoyable experience, but one that's easily forgotten when reminiscing about the highlights of a day at the parks.

I also can't help but note that the exact location of Radiator Springs isn't known in the film, but it's decidedly *not* in California. The southwest desert may be similar at first glance (though looks more like western New Mexico upon further reflection), but Lightning McQueen says several times that he's trying to get to California for the race and all the other characters implicitly acknowledge that's somewhere far away. Since the land opened in 2012 the park has drifted farther and farther from it's California roots, so it may not seem like as big a deal now, but it was a distinct departure at the time.

At least Carsland's marketing team didn't fall into the trap of pretending it would be the most immersive location ever; any sense of immersion in a world populated by automobiles is immediately lost with all the hordes of human tourists. All of the other lands that Disney has created have in-universe humans at the very least (if not exclusively human), which gives them additional leeway to interpret the practicalities of a theme park. So much of the world of Cars (especially in the park) falls apart when you start thinking about it too hard; just consider the human-world equivalent of those lovely holiday decorations made from engine parts and tools strung up throughout the land

Carsland isn't awful. They clearly had a talented team that put a lot of effort into it. However, every time I visit I can't help but think about what else could have been done with the same resources to create a more compelling theme park experience. In that sense, it's a really disappointing addition to the park.

Blah, too much to read. Calling Carsland a disappointing addition is funny though.

mickEblu

How about bucking the internet trend and focus on the good things at the resort and at Disney World? It can't be that hard to focus on the good instead of bickering like children who's toy is better. I'm just sick and tired of these complaint fests.

Hahah Ok you start.

Again though, this is where we come to talk $hit. Personally when I’m at the park, I’m riding the attractions I like and enjoying what I enjoy at DL. I’m not talking about Chapek or the state of Tomorrowland.

Californian Elitist

Disagree. Epcot is about the world.
California is part of the world.
And it makes even more sense now that its Soarin' around the world.
When it was Soarin' Over California it still made sense because the queue was different from the one in Cali so it seemed like you were going to board a flight to Cali.

I’ll just say this and leave it here, as this is getting into WDW talk and it’s not the correct forum for it.

Considering who the ride was designed and built for, I don’t think its placement in Epcot is justified. I do believe the World version works great for Epcot, but not California. California is obviously meant for DCA, not Epcot. World makes no sense in DCA.

Agree to disagree. :)

George Lucas on a Bench

I’ll just say this and leave it here, as this is getting into WDW talk and it’s not the correct forum for it.

Considering who the ride was designed and built for, I don’t think its placement in Epcot is justified. I do believe the World version works great for Epcot, but not California. California is obviously meant for DCA, not Epcot. World makes no sense in DCA.

She's right.

Animaniac93-98

In Tomorrowland, I get a little sad imagining Rocket Rods.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

Just to clarify I'm not even the one that brought up WDW.

She's right.
You brought it up....

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
If that were true Carsland would exclude Lightning and Mater and be set in an abstract cars world with no music and only reving and racing car sounds but no actual moving cars.

I can imagine the inevitable whining thread for that:

“They should’ve based it on the original Car Trilogy”

“Why isnt the Cars theme blaring everywhere in the land?”

“Disney ruined Cars when they bought Pixar! Now it’s all about female and minority cars”

TROR

So it seems as if the people who don't like the Cars movies don't care for Cars Land....shocking *end sarcasm*.
I actually like Cars, believe it or not. Even the second film isn’t the worst Pixar movie despite what everyone else says. Admittedly the third film is the only Pixar movie I’ve not seen.

Roy G. Dis

Cars Land is the best themed addition to any Disney Park in the US (considering the amount of area they had to work with) in the last 20 years easy*. On top of that RR is a very fun ride that anchors it. I wish every Disney theme park addition was done as well as Cars Land.

*(I've yet to see SW:GE. Have not been to Toy Story Land in DHS but I'm going to be bold and say the statement still stands :p).

TrainsOfDisney

Cars Land is the best themed addition to any Disney Park in the US (considering the amount of area they had to work with) in the last 20 years easy*. On top of that RR is a very fun ride that anchors it. I wish every Disney theme park addition was done as well as Cars Land.

*(I've yet to see SW:GE. Have not been to Toy Story Land in DHS but I'm going to be bold and say the statement still stands :p).

Avatar is a pretty good tie with cars land. Racers is better than FOP though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom