News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Disone

Disney doesn't take the heat issue serious enough. Hot monorails, hot busses, in my op it is ridiculous. For the money spent going there I shouldn't have to put up with it. Sooooo, it is a worthwhile issue to beat to death. Maybe if we gripe about it enough, they will improve it. Why have an open forum then muffle the downside issues?
Because honestly it is hardly been muffled. This thread has been talked about over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, do you get where I'm going with this?

It's time to wait for it to open and find out how much of an issue this is or isn't. It is time to stop speculating about it on this thread.

cosmicgirl

Didn't Disney showcase a poster for the Skyliner at Festival of the Arts? I felt like the "Skyliner" font on that poster screamed the Metropolitan sign. Also, the concept art for that station does show something at the entrance that looks something like a Metropolitan sign....
You're right, I forgot about that! I thought these covered areas would become the entrance and exit, though, but the Metropolitain sign is to the left in the concept art (pics linked from DFB). Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Skyliner-Epcot-Concept-Art.jpg

Skyliner-Epcot-Concept-Art-2.jpg

joelkfla

You're right, I forgot about that! I thought these covered areas would become the entrance and exit, though, but the Metropolitain sign is to the left in the concept art (pics linked from DFB). Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Skyliner-Epcot-Concept-Art.jpg

Skyliner-Epcot-Concept-Art-2.jpg
But it also shows the line running counterclockwise, and we now know this line runs clockwise, so I wouldn't put too much stock into it. It could be accurate, but only if the entry path will wrap around the back of the station.

cosmicgirl

But it also shows the line running counterclockwise, and we now know this line runs clockwise, so I wouldn't put too much stock into it. It could be accurate, but only if the entry path will wrap around the back of the station.
This construction pic (Bio's) is a month old but it supports the layout seen in the concept art. With the fences now in place it looks like the ramp on the left will be both the entrance and exit. With the clockwise sense of travel that would make the right half of the ramp the exit and the left half the entrance. Very counterintuitive for most Epcot visitors but we'll see how it plays out. The Brits should feel right at home.

D9i9qteVUAAJ9Y7.jpg:large

joelkfla

This construction pic (Bio's) is a month old but it supports the layout seen in the concept art. With the fences now in place it looks like the ramp on the left will be both the entrance and exit. With the clockwise sense of travel that would make the right half of the ramp the exit and the left half the entrance. Very counterintuitive for most Epcot visitors but we'll see how it plays out. The Brits should feel right at home.

D9i9qteVUAAJ9Y7.jpg:large
Good catch! But now I'm wondering about that winding path further to the left ...

allgiggles

I really love all the little themed elements and details they are doing to the stations respective of their locations. 👍
I totally agree - I'm really impressed with the Epcot and CBR stations especially

I also agree. I'm terrified of heights and very claustrophobic so riding the Skyliner will be a challenge for me. We usually stay at AoA so I already have my back-up plans in place in case I can't bring myself to ride it. But seeing these nearly completed stations just makes me *want* to ride it. I can't wait to see it in full operating mode.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
My vote's on the back loop. The increased length of the path created by the curves makes it less steep, so easier for wheelchairs.

I wonder if one is load and the other is unload. If you are on the side of the station opposite the paths, then you have to walk around the station to enter/exit and it looks like the winding path wraps around back.

cosmicgirl

I wonder if one is load and the other is unload. If you are on the side of the station opposite the paths, then you have to walk around the station to enter/exit and it looks like the winding path wraps around back.
You're right, there's something wrong with my reasoning: if the curved path were the accessible entrance and the left half of the straight path would be the regular entrance then the guest flows would have to cross each other.

Goofyernmost

Riviera Guests have a nice covered walkway to get to the DHS side, but they'll have to go out in the sun or rain to get to Epcot.

It looks like the CBR station may be a good spot to view the mechanics of cabins moving thru the station.
You know what is even worse... When they get off the Gondola and enter the parks, they are still in the sun or rain. When they get out of the bus at the parks they are in the sun and rain. When they get off the Monorail at MK or Epcot they are in the sun and rain. I'm thinking that it is not a matter of concern to Disney.

joelkfla

You know what is even worse... When they get off the Gondola and enter the parks, they are still in the sun or rain. When they get out of the bus at the parks they are in the sun and rain. When they get off the Monorail at MK or Epcot they are in the sun and rain. I'm thinking that it is not a matter of concern to Disney.
Sure ... just pointing out that the covered walkway seems to be more for appearance than functionality -- a somewhat deceptive selling point for Riviera units.

DisAl

You bring up a valid point. If the wind is not blowing, THERE IS NO VENTILATION IN THE PARKS! You will be trapped with not just nine other hot sweaty odiferous people but THOUSANDS! If you dare stand still and don't keep moving you will literally bake in the hot Florida sunshine because there is no air conditioning out on the walkways! If you look up to view the lightning in a thunderstorm and forget to close your mouth you may drown! And if you dare try to eat at an outside table birds will attempt to steal your meal and you may starve.
Oh, the humanity...... :arghh:
Yes, a ridiculous post, but it makes more sense than some of what we have seen. :rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

You bring up a valid point. If the wind is not blowing, THERE IS NO VENTILATION IN THE PARKS! You will be trapped with not just nine other hot sweaty odiferous people but THOUSANDS! If you dare stand still and don't keep moving you will literally bake in the hot Florida sunshine because there is no air conditioning out on the walkways! If you look up to view the lightning in a thunderstorm and forget to close your mouth you may drown! And if you dare try to eat at an outside table birds will attempt to steal your meal and you may starve.
Oh, the humanity...... :arghh:
Yes, a ridiculous post, but it makes more sense than some of what we have seen. :rolleyes:
All I can say is the decision to put Gondola's in place spells doom for everyone, even those that aren't going to WDW now or ever. I just know the danger is far reaching. 😉

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, July 20, 2019. The gondola station over Hourglass Lake between Pop Century and Art of Animation resorts. The construction fences have been removed on the Art of Animation side of the station. You can see the railing design now and inside the station.

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

The new restrooms on the Art of Animation side of the bridge are just about finished, but not open yet. There are two unisex restrooms, with a custodial closet between.

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom