"The more things change . . ." well, what would you do?

Janir

Incorrect, every move Iger makes is to increase short term shareholder value so he gets his bonus. Shareholders should be looking at the long term value and be quite concerned with the current trends.

Iger better hope Disney+ makes money.
unfortunately not all shareholders are long term holders, many are only looking to buy, hold to make a profit on the next larger quarterly movement and then divest.

Disstevefan1

Your not going to miss much as the crowds will be similar when Batuu East opens..Since it's going to be in the same spot..

Batuu is NOT the Osborne lights. As for the crowds at the Osborne lights although it was super crowded, it never bothered me there. I was simply happy surrounded by the music and dancing lights.

As for the crowds at Batuu, it will not be as crowded as the Osborne lights were, and I know I will not like is as much as it's a money grab, non Star Wars, Star Wars land, the Disney version of Star Wars..

bUU

Actually that's what I see as the problem, the over-reliance on market researching and crunching numbers and not having a good feel for your market.
What proof do you have that that's a problem? Without proof, you're basically saying that because you're unhappy about what they are doing you dispute the science they use to decide what to do.

A great marketer of yesteryear had to know his market and take the time and effort to get a feel for it and how to relate to it.
Because they didn't have the tools that marketers have today. I saw none of this when I was in university - it hadn't been realized yet. Fast forward a handful of decades and science and technology has been proven to be superior to the old-timey gut feel that used to prevail.

bUU

I guess I was not clear enough, EVERY move Disney makes is made with the aim to increase shareholder value! Disney will do anything to increase shareholder value even if the moves are short sighted like sharp price increases and staff and services reductions at the parks for example.
I think that needs to be qualified a little. Disney, like every big company, has to balance the long-term view (increasing shareholder value) with the short-term view (satisfying current obligations and expectations). Disney isn't Tesla. Disney is a dividend darling. If it ever stopped paying the kind of dividends we investors have come to expect, then heads would roll.

As for Shareholders, shareholders have their own brains and must decide when to cash in and sell, or hold on to see if the price goes up like any other stock.
65% of Disney stock is owned by institutional investors. The fund managers have the votes they need to effectively dictate that the company will serve their interests above that of the speculative shareholder. Over time, the investors looking for "quarterly movement" have found Disney to be uninspiring and so we can assume that most of the rest of the 35% of Disney stock is owned by individual investors who have the same ethic as the institutions.

Disstevefan1

I think that needs to be qualified a little. Disney, like every big company, has to balance the long-term view (increasing shareholder value) with the short-term view (satisfying current obligations and expectations). Disney isn't Tesla. Disney is a dividend darling. If it ever stopped paying the kind of dividends we investors have come to expect, then heads would roll.

65% of Disney stock is owned by institutional investors. The fund managers have the votes they need to effectively dictate that the company will serve their interests above that of the speculative shareholder. Over time, the investors looking for "quarterly movement" have found Disney to be uninspiring and so we can assume that most of the rest of the 35% of Disney stock is owned by individual investors who have the same ethic as the institutions.

Thanks for the details. From my unqualified opinion, it feels to me the company is ignoring the long term view; when I see steep price increases, like the overnight 25 percent price hike in annual passes, the introduction of the reusable bags then quickly doubling the price, the addition of the parking fee at the resorts then quickly raising them, I could go on, but I won't.

Let's hope the fund managers keep the faith.....

eliza61nyc

Thanks for the details. From my unqualified opinion, it feels to me the company is ignoring the long term view; when I see steep price increases, like the overnight 25 percent price hike in annual passes, the introduction of the reusable bags then quickly doubling the price, the addition of the parking fee at the resorts then quickly raising them, I could go on, but I won't.

Let's hope the fund managers keep the faith.....
So far I think they will, imo the real issues is the economy, today actually reports came out that consumer confidence is high, folks are expecting a down turn but they feel secure in their jobs and plan on spending on vacation.
The question becomes what do you feel is long term?? The next five years unless a meteor hits are going to be good for the world, they've got new stuff coming on board.
Next, I do think the things you guys grumble about are not really a big deal to the majority of visitors. Parking fees?? Come on, most folks if they travel are very use to resort fees and parking fees. Those will not be a deterrent to anyone planning a visit.
I think the crowds have a bigger effect than prices.
Next remember shareholders are looking at the company as a whole not just the parks and as @bUU mentioned it's not a growth pick, it a solid blue Chip pay dividend stocks.

Last edited:

AdventureHasAName

To be fair, all publicly traded companies have a legal fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Shareholders always have and always will come before customers.

I'm a shareholder. I'd prefer they not squander the 70 years of goodwill the company built up for a decade of slightly increased profits.

bUU

Thanks for the details. From my unqualified opinion, it feels to me the company is ignoring the long term view; when I see steep price increases, like the overnight 25 percent price hike in annual passes, the introduction of the reusable bags then quickly doubling the price, the addition of the parking fee at the resorts then quickly raising them, I could go on, but I won't. Let's hope the fund managers keep the faith.....
They don't traffic in faith. They know that those things that concern you aren't significant concerns vis a vis the long-term, just like so many of the things we take as SOP today which were shocking to fans ten, fifteen, twenty years ago.

So far I think they will, imo the real issues is the economy, today actually reports came out that consumer confidence is high, folks are expecting a down turn but they feel secure in their jobs and plan on spending on vacation.
And Disney is as talented a navigating the downhill portions of the course as they are navigating the uphill portions.

Next remember shareholders are looking at the company as a whole not just the parks and as @bUU mentioned it's not a growth pick, it a solid blue Chip pay dividend stocks.
It seems that part of the loudest objections come from people who harbor ill will toward the overwhelming proportion of Disney ownership interest that is aimed at regular returns - retirees like we will be soon, whose retirement income plan is predicated on interest and dividends. As such, this is a generational conflict: The youngsters are all focused on spending money and on investing in growth stocks, while us elders are focused on investments that help us replace earned income.

I'm a shareholder. I'd prefer they not squander the 70 years of goodwill the company built up for a decade of slightly increased profits.
Except that they've been doing this, and people like you have been complaining about it, since the net.disney days (pre-1987). When will we see any evidence of such "squandering" actually happening?

eliza61nyc

Come on, even you have to admit that Disney is a MASTER at marketing and protecting their brand. Sorry this is flat out grasping. Now yes the Uber fan will dissect the company to pieces but the day little girls stop wanting to be princesses, we'll have a lot more to worry about IMO.
The average guest is not flipping out because the new hotel is not "themed" enough.
So what Goodwill would they lose?

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

Parking fees?? Come on, most folks if they travel are very use to resort fees and parking fees. Those will not be a deterrent to anyone planning a visit.
No, they are not. Trust me. People will fly off the handle at anything they don't want to pay and play ignorant. Resort fees. Parking fees. Sales tax on hotel rooms. paying for meals charged to their room (we are not and do not advertise as an all-inclusive).I've had to explain to people that they will not be getting checked in if they do not give me the credit card at check in because they're all "oh, we'll just give it to you at check out". Ha! No.

Disstevefan1

The question becomes what do you feel is long term?? The next five years unless a meteor hits are going to be good for the world, they've got new stuff coming on board.
Next, I do think the things you guys grumble about are not really a big deal to the majority of visitors. Parking fees?? Come on, most folks if they travel are very use to resort fees and parking fees. Those will not be a deterrent to anyone planning a visit.
I think the crowds have a bigger effect than prices.

It’s like I always said, why does Disney do things that make no sense to the returning guest? The answer is, because they can! Folks just keep coming! I guess only time will tell.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There's always going to be good and bad.

Don't update an attraction - "Why don't they update it?"
Update an attraction - "I liked the old one better"

Replacing a restaurant with generic food - "Finally, something unique to eat" vs "they're closing the only place to get burgers and fries"

"the parks are too crowded, why are there so many people here?" "the parks are too expensive, how can anyone afford this?"

etc. etc.

Having said that, upkeep, cleanliness, maintenance, friendly CM's will always be something everyone can agree on that needs to be part of the parks and that has sometimes been lacking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom