Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Pho

Interesting. I guess that means the demand for the attraction is climbing as the summer goes on and will likely stay that way until they open up Fastpass for the attraction. At least now we're seeing what things look like when an attraction of this scale and capacity doesn't have FP active. If they are using the overflow, it also means the reported wait times on the app are likely lower than the actual wait time since those are typically based on the time from the wait time sign to boarding. I'm kind of curious if they'll do that (open FP) before RotR comes on line in January, or if they wait until then.
I waited 70 minutes total when the app and sign out front both said 65 minutes. So I’d say it’s quite accurate, especially with how sometimes you’re in the chess room for a short wait and other times you leave in seconds.

I assume they are waiting at least until after the New Year, so when Rise opens for Land and Marathon Weekend for World would be my guess for the soonest they start with Fastpasses.

techgeek

This article says:

"The “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Symphonic Overture Suite,” a track written by John Williams and inspired by the themed land inside the parks"

but it doesn't specifically say it would be used in the land.

I was surprised and confused that no one has reporting hearing this track in the park. I got the plan was not to have music in the 'land', but I always assumed this was going to at least be used as transition music walking in and out of Batuu. 'Opening credits' if you will. Did Disney really just commission Williams to write a marketing piece they intend to put in the drawer and never use? Or will it feature in RotR?

TP2000

So John Williams scored a new suite of music for Galaxy's Edge and just put it in a drawer? There is music in the land.....

Where is the music? I spent three hours in Star Wars Land on an uncrowded evening in late June, almost four weeks ago.

I heard some sound effects and weird noises, but I never heard music.

And I couldn't get into the Cantina even though the land was mostly empty, and I didn't pay $200 for a Chinese made lightsaber in Savi's Workshop (I understand music is played in both those locations). But I ventured in to every other shop and dining area, and rode Millennium Falcon three times. No music.

TP2000

I've not heard of them actually using this for anything but the first day of general access, and even then only first thing in the morning. It certainly was not being used when I was there the afternoon of the first day of general access.

Disneyland is still having a very slow summer, but wait times for the Falcon are generally in the 45 to 75 minute range. You can see it jump up and down by 20 or 30 minutes randomly throughout the day, which we assume is when a carousel or two goes offline for a technical problem and their capacity drops by 25% to 50%.

Currently at Disneyland at 3:00pm Pacific time, it is sunny and 77 degrees in Anaheim, and the Falcon has the highest E Ticket wait time in the park.

Millennium Falcon - 70 minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Indiana Jones Adventure - 45 Minutes
Splash Mountain - 40 Minutes
Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mountain, Star Tours - 25 Minutes
Pirates of the Caribbean, Submarine Voyage - 20 Minutes
Small World - 10 Minutes

It really will be very interesting to see how the numbers and wait times for DHS, the entire park not just the Falcon, respond on August 29th and through Christmas as the DHS Star Wars Land comes online in phases.

And where do they put the extended queue for Millennium Falcon at DHS if they are sending 1,388 paying customers per hour past views like this in the Falcon queue at Disneyland every day? Bob Chapek has immersed you! :facepalm:

59f18cae-0152-4cf8-a6e0-4337d8f6dd56-jpeg.390510

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Where is the music? I spent three hours in Star Wars Land on an uncrowded evening in late June, almost four weeks ago.

I heard some sound effects and weird noises, but I never heard music.

And I couldn't get into the Cantina even though the land was mostly empty, and I didn't pay $200 for a Chinese made lightsaber in Savi's Workshop (I understand music is played in both those locations). But I ventured in to every other shop and dining area, and rode Millennium Falcon three times. No music.
Which, in my opinion, is terrible. The right music score wouldn't be something that you'd notice, but it most definitely can be something that sets the tone of whatever area you're in.

Stripes

This article says:

"The “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Symphonic Overture Suite,” a track written by John Williams and inspired by the themed land inside the parks"

but it doesn't specifically say it would be used in the land.

Interesting that in a DPB post, Scott Trowbridge also said Williams was creating all new themes, with an 's'. So far, we've only got one.
Today, Bob shared more exciting news in that Oscar-winning composer John Williams is creating new and original Star Wars themes exclusively for the land!

Hopefully we get something new from this D23 panel:
The Music and Sounds of Star Wars: Galaxy’s EdgeSound design is an instrumental layer of storytelling found throughout every Disney park, resort, and cruise ship. Join Imagineering Music Studio lead Matt Walker in discussing the creative process behind the original music and sound design heard throughout Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Join Imagineers and collaborators who will share how they developed all-new iconic soundscapes while taking inspiration from the rich legacy of Star Wars music and sound design, from the land’s epic John Williams-composed musical score to the sounds of low-flying starships.

The Pho

Which, in my opinion, is terrible. The right music score wouldn't be something that you'd notice, but it most definitely can be something that sets the tone of whatever area you're in.
Music and background noise can elevate a land’s immersion. Pandora feels alive because of the animal noises. Music or background noise beyond the odd ship flying overheard noise could help the land a lot.

TP2000

In Frontierland at Disneyland, literally at the front door of Star Wars Land, they play the "Beef, It's What's For Dinner!" theme song over the PA system. I'm sure that song has a name, but you know the one I'm talking about from the American Beef Council commercials.

But somehow in Star Wars Land they can't have music even though they paid John Williams a small fortune to compose new music?

Makes no sense. o_O

Ravenclaw78

In Frontierland at Disneyland, literally at the front door of Star Wars Land, they play the "Beef, It's What's For Dinner!" theme song over the PA system. I'm sure that song has a name, but you know the one I'm talking about from the American Beef Council commercials.

But somehow in Star Wars Land they can't have music even though they paid John Williams a small fortune to compose new music?

Makes no sense. o_O

It's the Hoedown theme from Aaron Copland's "Rodeo". A lot of Copland's work (some deliberately, some because it was co-opted years later like Rodeo was by various ad agencies) screams "classic Americana", so it's not surprising Disney chose this piece as part of Frontierland's soundtrack.

Indy_UK

Be interesting how it pans out with Galaxy's Edge. On twitter it really seems like the Disney fans love the land but the die hard Star Wars geeks which I think Disney were expecting to turn up in droves are the ones who don't seem to like it.

Like mentioned, some don't like the timeline for it and expected it to be based on the OT. Loads may be waiting for both rides to be open before going but I believe it's that it's just too expensive for them to visit.

mergatroid

Maybe. Maybe there's music on the Resistance ride that doesn't work yet?

When I went on the Falcon ride three times in one evening with no more than a 15 minute wait, I never heard any music anywhere in that ride.

I'd not really thought about background music to be honest so I'll be interested to see how it feels without it when I visit in September. It does seem an odd decision not to have music like the other lands do though?

peter11435

I'd not really thought about background music to be honest so I'll be interested to see how it feels without it when I visit in September. It does seem an odd decision not to have music like the other lands do though?
There is still a background audio loop just like other theme park areas. It’s not always music. Areas of Pandora, New York Street, and even outside the haunted mansion gates are examples of this.

mergatroid

There is still a background audio loop just like other theme park areas. It’s not always music. Areas of Pandora, New York Street, and even outside the haunted mansion gates are examples of this.

Thanks. Was just going off what others had said and thought there was just silence.

Bleed0range

Someone should take some footage of people walking around Galaxy’s Edge and just add some various Star Wars music on top. Just to see how much ambiance it truly adds.

I gotta say that they could have the music come and go. It could play and swell and then fade out.

I keep thinking back to the Star Wars Galaxies MMO’s loafing screen music...

RobWDW1971

Thanks. Was just going off what others had said and thought there was just silence.

No need to wonder, here is a good 360 walk through video - take a stroll and listen. The audio on this recording is really sensitive which makes the sounds seem MUCH louder and more prominent than what I've experienced when actually there especially if you crank up your volume, but it gives you a sense of the "vibe". Note this was taken during the reservation period and I've yet to see the land this crowded since it's been wide open to day guests.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom