All things Knotts Berry Farm

Rich T

KOTD was a fun adventure. Bear-y Tales was embarrassing and creepy. Its like a bad vacation movie parody of a Disney ride; the kind you'd find near cannibalistic hillbillies. I understand Knotts doesn't have a huge budget, but that ride was as if Ed Wood had directed a kids movie.
Um... Disagree. Bear-y Tales was fun, colorful and--yes--a bit creepy like most good dark rides. It had a great song, fun designs, and a fun story that actually made sense. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I thought Kingdom of the Dinosaurs was complete "Meh." From the weird, static housekeeper mannequin in the lab (You wanna talk creepy???) to the so-so arctic scene to the so-so lava scene to the eventual appearance of the underwhelming and undersized dinosaurs, including the silly overhead Pterawhatever ("Screeeeeeech!").

Still, I'd rather have KotD than what followed in that space.

Professortango1

Um... Disagree. Bear-y Tales was fun, colorful and--yes--a bit creepy like most good dark rides. It had a great song, fun designs, and a fun story that actually made sense. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I thought Kingdom of the Dinosaurs was complete "Meh." From the weird, static housekeeper mannequin in the lab (You wanna talk creepy???) to the so-so arctic scene to the so-so lava scene to the eventual appearance of the underwhelming and undersized dinosaurs, including the silly overhead Pterawhatever ("Screeeeeeech!").

Still, I'd rather have KotD than what followed in that space.

We would love to line up for KOTD. We still quote it to this day. Beary Tales feels like a home haunt in the 90's. Everything feels like it was made by you and your kids over the weekend and painted by mom. We thought it was corny and sad. KOTD felt like Knotts was actually trying to compete with Disney and we were so happy to have these incredible sets and giant figures.
136244461_f79ea3df47.jpg
maxresdefault (1).jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Rich T

We would love to line up for KOTD. We still quote it to this day. Beary Tales feels like a home haunt in the 90's. Everything feels like it was made by you and your kids over the weekend and painted by mom. We thought it was corny and sad. KOTD felt like Knotts was actually trying to compete with Disney and we were so happy to have these incredible sets and giant figures.
View attachment 391452View attachment 391453View attachment 391454
KBT looked delightful in motion, in person with music. It contained dozens upon dozens of moving creatures. There was no blank space, except for the "Lightning Cave". And, hey, you, I do notice you've focused on the many little supporting creatures and none of the main characters. But, you know, that doesn't matter, because the folk-art look of much of KBT was precisely what made it so much fun. It was very storybook-like and awesome.

KotD was ambitious, but wasn't a good fit for the space. Everything felt squished and compromised, yet there was also a ton of unused space.

To each his own, though. :) I'm glad you loved KotD. For me, the best part of KotD was, pre-opening, the huge, growling, T-Rex-shaped shipping crate sitting out on the walkway addressed to Knott's Berry Farm and covered with warnings. That was completely awesome.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

KOTD started out fairly well when it was new. It had a scientist that kept pushing up back in time. You saw cave men, the ice age, and various dinosaur eras. Then he would bring you back to the present. It had good special effects and the dinosaurs moved. Unfortunately, Knott's management didn't keep the ride working correctly. They made the ride less entertaining and more of a history lesson with a narrator that would stop the cars at various dinosaurs and talk about them. Before there was an element of danger because the dinosaurs could come after you. Now they just stood there during a school lesson. If they stopped the ride long enough, kids would get out of the vehicle and run around the ride breaking things. Towards the end of it's life, Knotts gave up entirely and just linked all the cars together with a employee leading the ride. Everyone would have to wait for the train to come back around.

KOTD was a victim of poor Knotts management at the time. They really lost interest in it and let it rot. It was too bad because it fit the roaring 20's time period in the area. KOTD wasn't the only ride that was falling part during that time. Soap box derby lost all of it's scenery, effects and puppets. After closing in 2004, the ride was vandalized by park employees. Parts where reused for Haunt and the log ride. Ten years later VTTIR was built.
It was awesome when it was working i will agree with you on that and i will agree it was their poor management that lead to its downfall with the trains being connected all of a sudden and the moving ramp turned off and the constant stops with new narration. all it needed was a refurb with some new AAs. it was waaay better than the stupid video game they got in their now. it needs to return

D.Silentu

I appreciate all this fond talk about Kingdom of the Dinosaurs. For what it's worth, I never got to go on 'Berry Tales,' but I absolutely loved Dinosaurs. It had flaws, certainly, and the dinosaurs were never as impressive as those at other California parks. Yet, what it had in spades was style and a great throughline as you went "back, back, back" in time. It's a shame really, Garner Holt has given Knotts back a lot of its spirit and I would have loved to see what they could have done with this one.

Last edited:

TROR

Knott’s could really benefit from a good haunted house attraction. Not some “scary” maze like they do for Halloween, but something classier with ghosts, skeletons, and special effects. A walkthrough attraction similar to what was planned for Haunted Mansion.

RobWDW1971

We would love to line up for KOTD. We still quote it to this day. Beary Tales feels like a home haunt in the 90's. Everything feels like it was made by you and your kids over the weekend and painted by mom. We thought it was corny and sad.

Bear-y Tales was awesome and a must do every visit. It was fun, whimsical, had a great theme song, and truly a Knotts original. That window in the late 70's of the Roaring 20's launch with the lighted sign above the ride (see pic below), Sky Jump, Corkscrew, Cycle Chase, etc. was a magical time for Knotts.

Walking through that sad, concrete "Boardwalk" area now with those carny rides and prize stalls is just sad.

Oh, and Disneyland Railroad Primeval World > KOTD.

1563845867664.png1563845896568.png

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

From the Kirk Wall and the Hillbillies FB Page

>>Lately we've been celebrating many theme park anniversaries... Disneyland's 64th birthday... Knott's Timber Mountain Log Ride's 50th anniversary... and Disneyland's Splash Mountain's 30th anniversary! So how are these all tied together?

You guessed it... Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies!

How you ask?

In 1987, some of the "boys" were working at that "other place" in various bands and shows. Imagineer Tony Baxter was stuck in traffic one day and imagined a new attraction for the little used Bear Country area of Disneyland... a log ride. {wonder where he got that idea?]

Not unlike the one already at Knott's Berry Farm, Tony wanted it to be bigger, better and wetter. It would be a great way to use all the animatronics from the rarely attended America Sings attraction and it would draw crowds to Bear Country. It was decided to rename that area "Critter Country" to welcome all the new critters into that area. BUT... they needed some live music for the re-dedication, so Billy Hill and the Hillbillies was created and opened the new land on November 23, 1988. They became regular street performers in Critter Country in anticipation of the new LOG ATTRACTION being built. That small assignment became a regular job for the band.

People waited breathlessly for the opening of the new "SPLASH MOUNTAIN" in early spring, but several problems caused the opening to be delayed by many months. It seemed that the ride's drop ending was a little too wet and fast, and Imagineers and volunteer employees came off the ride drenched! They started using sandbags as volunteers as the drop became more violent with each change. Every week, my toddler daughter and I would ride the Mark Twain to see the progress of the new attraction, then we would hike into Critter Country, watch the Country Bear's and catch a Hillbilly show [or two].

Finally the attraction was ready and on July 17, 1989 SPLASH MOUNTAIN opened with Billy Hill and the Hillbilly providing the musical entertainment for guests waiting in 2 hour long lines. The boys went on to become popular and were later moved to Frontierland in front of the Golden Horseshoe and eventually took over inside the Horseshoe when the Jamboree Show was retired.

Ironically... now at Knott's, the band has been able to influence the log ride at this theme park too, when they were asked to record a new soundtrack for the 50th anniversary of Timber Mountain Log Ride on July 11, 2019. Be sure to catch a ride and listen to Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies as you glide through the attraction!<<

PiratesMansion

When does Knott's usually release info about Scary Farm?

I was so impressed by last year's event I am very, VERY tempted to fly out again this year!

Darkbeer1

When does Knott's usually release info about Scary Farm?

I was so impressed by last year's event I am very, VERY tempted to fly out again this year!

Usually by Mid-August.

Dates are September 19th, 20th, 21st, 26th. 27th, 28th, 29th. October 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 31st. November 1st & 2nd.

PiratesMansion

Rode the Log Ride a couple of times last night. Enjoyed Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies non-Halloween version of the Hootenanny song throughout the ride (Except for the inside drop area, before entering the forest).

Also all the new AA's. Much more movement. Well done, Garner-Holt.

I much prefer Log Ride over DL's Splash Mountain. Such a phenomenal ride that should have inspired more parks.

RobWDW1971

I much prefer Log Ride over DL's Splash Mountain. Such a phenomenal ride that should have inspired more parks.

Everyone has their personal favorites and Knott's log ride is a true classic and even more so when you consider the state of the theme park industry at the time it was built, but let's not get crazy. Splash Mountain is truly a theming, scale, audio-animatronic, masterpiece. Obviously it owes its heritage to the Knott's log ride, but let's not diminish SM based on our affection for a classic. If only every ride Disney has made since 1989 took its inspiration from Splash Mountain, the parks would be in a much better place today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom