News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Amidala

Man, you just fail to understand the difference between things.
I ride the NYC Subway five days a week - been doing that for 34 years.
Being in a subway car with various other people in various crowd conditions is an entirely different thing than being in say a Taxi Cab with just one other group.
It's the size of the enclosure.
It's the intimacy of the space.
It's psychological.
It's the mind giving the person an out. An ability to some extent of getting away from an undesirable situation even if that may not be technically possible.

and on the Disneyworld monorail car you have only around double the space of the Skyliner gondola cabin. In both cases you are in a small enclosure.

Double is a big difference. Agree that I would compare riding the monorail to riding the subway (a much, much cleaner subway), while the gondolas will be a more "intimate" space. I'm sure I'll find it a little awkward, but at the same time...not that big a deal. The novelty of the gondolas will appeal to guests, especially younger kids, and after enough time spent riding them, people will adjust. If not, there are plenty of other options.

joelkfla

As much as Disney crams their busses and monorails with people packed in like sardines, it will not surprise me if Disney doesn't try to cram 10 people in each gondola.
Apparently you did not read, or did not comprehend, my post. So I shall repeat it:
It's very unlikely that they will be fully loaded with 10 riders during the hot afternoons. There aren't many Guests traveling at that time of day.
  1. At times of day when heat might be an issue, there will not be enough Guests riding for Disney to "cram" 10 into a cabin.
  2. At times when Disney may want to "cram" 10 people into a cabin (park opening and closing), heat will not be an issue.

Bender123

Apparently you did not read, or did not comprehend, my post. So I shall repeat it:

1. At times of day when heat might be an issue, there will not be enough Guests riding for Disney to "cram" 10 into a cabin.
  2. At times when Disney may want to "cram" 10 people into a cabin (park opening and closing), heat will not be an issue.

I seriously don't understand how this point is constantly missed in this forum...I think the most Ive ever seen at a bus stop at 1PM at the parks is about 10 people for any given resort...And that's after waiting several minutes for a bus to show up. People just seem to act like the crowds at closing are just what happens all the time. Even openings are massively spread out.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I actually had some one private message me today to ask a question about the Skyliner since they were afraid to ask it in the thread.
I've been reluctant to ask or comment sometimes. Some people in here are understanding and courteous, others, not so much. For example, I can see that this thread is more than 2 years old. I joined these forums about 4 months ago, and unless I read or research thousands of posts, I might miss something that has already been discussed.

I've been lucky I guess, members have been helpful and kind to me so far.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Facebook groups have the same issue... new members asking the same questions that have been asked many times, not taking time to search prior posts. But, I also understand that when a thread gets so long like this one, even a search becomes difficult.

So, here's a question for our most gracious forum hosts (@wdwmagic ): Would it be possible to have a pinned FAQ-type comment that appears at the top of the thread, regardless of the page in the thread?

FAQ is a good idea, but clearly not the solution to the problem since this thread has one in the first post.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Forgive me if this has already been answered in this ocean of a thread, but is there any indication of how they'll be loading the gondolas? I don't mean the physical act, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to make awkward small talk with a family of strangers as I glide across the sky for 11 minutes.
It won't matter how many are in the car with you, as everyone will just be staring at their phones anyway, so you won't have to worry about conversations with other families.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Forgive me if this has already been answered in this ocean of a thread, but is there any indication of how they'll be loading the gondolas? I don't mean the physical act, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to make awkward small talk with a family of strangers as I glide across the sky for 11 minutes.

On busy days, one has to share a peoplemover car with strangers. Or sit with strangers at the same table at Oktoberfest. Or not look creepy when you go to Enchanted Tales with Belle with no children with you... wait, what are we talking about?

lazyboy97o

I've been reluctant to ask or comment sometimes. Some people in here are understanding and courteous, others, not so much. For example, I can see that this thread is more than 2 years old. I joined these forums about 4 months ago, and unless I read or research thousands of posts, I might miss something that has already been discussed.

I've been lucky I guess, members have been helpful and kind to me so far.
There is a huge difference between trying to find information, being overwhelmed and then asking “Where could I find this information?” and [repeatedly] declaring “I, and I alone, have thought up this common scenario that nobody else, including the manufacturer who has been doing this for decades all over the world, has ever thought about!” A lot of this thread’s bulk is the latter, with people not even checking to see if something has been brought up, in many cases doing so very recent to the last time it was brought up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There is a huge difference between trying to find information, being overwhelmed and then asking “Where could I find this information?” and [repeatedly] declaring “I, and I alone, have thought up this common scenario that nobody else, including the manufacturer who has been doing this for decades all over the world, has ever thought about!” A lot of this thread’s bulk is the latter, with people not even checking to see if something has been brought up, in many cases doing so very recent to the last time it was brought up.

Indeed, when people apologize for not reading the thread and politely ask for information... they've never been scolded, and they received prompt info and help. E.g., "Sorry for not reading this really long thread, but, can someone please let me know what's being done about how hot these things can possibly get?"

Come in assuming a problem is real and complaining about it? You're a target. And you're the only one to blame since that's just bad behavior. E.g., "ZOMG! There's no way people can survive in the summer on these things. Disney screwed up again!!!"

allgiggles

FAQ is a good idea, but clearly not the solution to the problem since this thread has one in the first post.

Can the thread title be edited to add "Read Post 1 before posting" or something along those lines? And maybe add a blurb to that post about using the search function if you don't see the answer to your question in that post. Of course, that won't stop the attention seeking trolls, but it might help with the "innocent" members who are intimidated about wading through 1000+ pages of information so they think it's just easier to ask the question than search for the answer. Just a thought....

trainplane3

Come in assuming a problem is real and complaining about it? You're a target. And you're the only one to blame since that's just bad behavior. E.g., "ZOMG! There's no way people can survive in the summer on these things. Disney screwed up again!!!"
This thread has been (or is now) the definition of drive-by "crap"posting. Someone storms in, loudly declares their opinion without reading anything more then the thread title, and leaves. After that, the thread spirals out of control because of their post(s).

trainplane3

She's also made clear all over the forum that personal insults/attacks aren't allowed, so rule following is clearly spotty. ;)
True but...
3. Be courteous and respect your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable. If you take particular issue with another user and are unable to reply in a civilised and constructive way to their posts, you should ignore the user.

A personal attack would be more name calling, shaming, etc. This seems like a clear cut response to all the posts they've made in this thread considering they aren't a new user at all to the forums and the amount of info about this system is very well reported on, it seems called for. Then again, I'm not a mod so they have the final say.

Now the posts aiming at a specific user in the Play Pavilion thread recently, those were uncalled for and I'd personally consider those "shaming" or an "attack".

starri42

On busy days, one has to share a peoplemover car with strangers. Or sit with strangers at the same table at Oktoberfest. Or not look creepy when you go to Enchanted Tales with Belle with no children with you... wait, what are we talking about?
I mean, at least in those settings, there are other things to focus on. I just picture my husband and myself, a couple in our late-30s/early-40s, blinking uncomfortably. We're only likely to use the Skyliner to park-hop, so there's that much.

TrainsOfDisney

When I’ve ridden similar sized systems in New Hampshire and Colorado, it was normal for multiple parties to be loaded into the same gondola, but not filling every seat. So like not making sure all 10 seats were filled, but also not letting a gondola go with only 2 people as that’s just a waste of space.

I’ve been asked to join other parties on mickeys Pixar pal around sun wheel... that’s about the same size as the gondola cabins.

Of course I have no way predicting how Disney will do it, I imagine it will change depending on how busy it is.

MiddKid

I mean, at least in those settings, there are other things to focus on. I just picture my husband and myself, a **** couple in our late-30s/early-40s, blinking uncomfortably. We're only likely to use the Skyliner to park-hop, so there's that much.

I’ve met some amazing people with fascinating life stories over the years riding chairlifts and gondolas while skiing. And I’m generally an introvert. If you’re blinking uncomfortably that’s on you.

starri42

I’ve met some amazing people with fascinating life stories over the years riding chairlifts and gondolas while skiing. And I’m generally an introvert. If you’re blinking uncomfortably that’s on you.
I did a solo trip back in January. I talk to people for a living, and made a few attempts to engage people in conversation as we were standing around waiting for rope drop. Got nada.

I dunno, maybe it is on me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom