Planning with a Non Disney Enthusiast

So my husband just told me last night that one of the things he hates about taking trips to Disney is how obsessed I get. I guess I've been bringing up Disney stuff too much to him in the past few weeks. The last time we went, when our girls were 6 and almost 2, he slept late every day and went back to the resort one day while the girls and I wandered around Epcot. Does anyone else have someone who really isn't into it?
To be fair, we sprung the trip on the girls the morning we left and I don't think our oldest had time to process so she wasn't as excited either. She is this time since she got to help pick the resort and has watched a few videos of rides and food!

wombat

So my husband just told me last night that one of the things he hates about taking trips to Disney is how obsessed I get. I guess I've been bringing up Disney stuff too much to him in the past few weeks. The last time we went, when our girls were 6 and almost 2, he slept late every day and went back to the resort one day while the girls and I wandered around Epcot. Does anyone else have someone who really isn't into it?
To be fair, we sprung the trip on the girls the morning we left and I don't think our oldest had time to process so she wasn't as excited either. She is this time since she got to help pick the resort and has watched a few videos of rides and food!
Leave the miserable old goat at home

Upvote 0

Amidala

It shouldn't be that hard to show enthusiasm for something a loved one cares about, so I don't think this is on you! Do you have any friends or family who like Disney and would be more likely to share in the enthusiasm? If so, I'd say make your next trip a friends' vacation or something. He's obviously not obligated to be Disney-crazy, but if he's so disinterested that he's sleeping in and skipping out on you halfway through the day, the trip isn't going to be fun for either of you. If that's not an option, maybe you can compromise by finding something at Disney (or in Orlando) that would interest him more. Maybe a day trip to Downtown Orlando, a day at Universal or Discovery Cove, or taking advantage of some of Disney's more exclusive upcharges (swimming with dolphins at The Seas, the Behind the Seeds tour, surfing lessons at Typhoon Lagoon, etc.)

Upvote 0

Stitch in Wonderland

Original Poster
It shouldn't be that hard to show enthusiasm for something a loved one cares about, so I don't think this is on you! Do you have any friends or family who like Disney and would be more likely to share in the enthusiasm? If so, I'd say make your next trip a friends' vacation or something. He's obviously not obligated to be Disney-crazy, but if he's so disinterested that he's sleeping in and skipping out on you halfway through the day, the trip isn't going to be fun for either of you. If that's not an option, maybe you can compromise by finding something at Disney (or in Orlando) that would interest him more. Maybe a day trip to Downtown Orlando, a day at Universal or Discovery Cove, or taking advantage of some of Disney's more exclusive upcharges (swimming with dolphins at The Seas, the Behind the Seeds tour, surfing lessons at Typhoon Lagoon, etc.)
That's a good idea!! For now I'm just going to find other people to talk to about it. When it gets closer, I'll see what I can do to interest him. He's not a great vacationer which I just do not understand!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

If this trip is a downer, then its time to consider a girls only trips in the future. Let him do something else that he would rather enjoy. Why waste the money on something he doesnt care about? A lot of joy comes from sharing the enthusiasm of what the trip will be about. I'm very fortunate that DW loves Disney as much as I do. However we did go to WDW once with friends who were not the Disney fans we were and it really affected our ability to enjoy ourselves. Fortunately they were not staying for the entire time we were and we had another week to salvage the trip.

Upvote 0

Stitch in Wonderland

Original Poster
I did that with a long weekend trip to the beach once and the girls and I had a great time! He is more of a camping in the woods vacation kind of guy if he's going to do anything. He's a homebody and I can be too, but I love vacations! I think he is looking forward to seeing the girls have fun get on rides but once we do it this time, I am going to grant him reprieve from the next trip. Maybe he would enjoy a week on his own with the pets more, who knows? I have until November. :)

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I did that with a long weekend trip to the beach once and the girls and I had a great time! He is more of a camping in the woods vacation kind of guy if he's going to do anything. He's a homebody and I can be too, but I love vacations! I think he is looking forward to seeing the girls have fun get on rides but once we do it this time, I am going to grant him reprieve from the next trip. Maybe he would enjoy a week on his own with the pets more, who knows? I have until November. :)

Fort Wilderness Campgrounds.

Everyone will be happy!

Upvote 0

Janir

Start watching some videos with your the kids and husband. ;)

Upvote 0

Stitch in Wonderland

Original Poster
Start watching some videos with your the kids and husband. ;)
I think that may be part of what annoyed him. He has come in from work a bunch of times with us watching DFB Guide or TMP Videos. But I could be wrong! I think I will just ask him which parts "annoy" him, maybe it's just me talking about it. He did enjoy watching the one about Galaxy's Edge in California and wants a Light Saber and a Droid. I'm hoping they come up as pre-pay because I would LOVE to surprise him with that!
BTW - He is 32 and Can't Wait to be a Grumpy Old Man....so I think he's getting a head start! 🤣

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I think that may be part of what annoyed him. He has come in from work a bunch of times with us watching DFB Guide or TMP Videos. But I could be wrong! I think I will just ask him which parts "annoy" him, maybe it's just me talking about it. He did enjoy watching the one about Galaxy's Edge in California and wants a Light Saber and a Droid. I'm hoping they come up as pre-pay because I would LOVE to surprise him with that!
BTW - He is 32 and Can't Wait to be a Grumpy Old Man....so I think he's getting a head start! 🤣

In my experience, you'll get further asking what parts he loves and emphasizing those instead of asking which parts annoy him.

Upvote 0

DisneyFreak

Crush these up and slip into his coffee.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

My husband suffers from depression, sometimes we both suffer from his depression. For the last few years we have been taking a trip to WDW in October for our anniversary because he doesn’t want to go anywhere, ever. He settles for WDW because he knows I’ll have something to do while if he sleeps the day away. This past fall was especially bad week for him and he spent a lot of time in the room. It isn’t unusual for me to wonder over to Epcot or HS alone in the afternoon and last year I spent a morning in MK by myself. The main reason we stay at one of the Epcot resorts it’ close to 2 parks and I can go and have fun in a relativity safe environment and he can sleep if he wants. I don’t bother trying to get the top FP or the most wanted ADRs because he doesn’t need these to make the trip fun for him. Every spring I take a trip with my sister and we hit all the major rides, all the fun spots and go sun up to after fireworks, two completely different vacations and I love both of them.

Upvote 0

Stitch in Wonderland

Original Poster
My husband suffers from depression, sometimes we both suffer from his depression. For the last few years we have been taking a trip to WDW in October for our anniversary because he doesn’t want to go anywhere, ever. He settles for WDW because he knows I’ll have something to do while if he sleeps the day away. This past fall was especially bad week for him and he spent a lot of time in the room. It isn’t unusual for me to wonder over to Epcot or HS alone in the afternoon and last year I spent a morning in MK by myself. The main reason we stay at one of the Epcot resorts it’ close to 2 parks and I can go and have fun in a relativity safe environment and he can sleep if he wants. I don’t bother trying to get the top FP or the most wanted ADRs because he doesn’t need these to make the trip fun for him. Every spring I take a trip with my sister and we hit all the major rides, all the fun spots and go sun up to after fireworks, two completely different vacations and I love both of them.

Thank you so much for sharing! That is a big part of his problem and also why I don't get upset. He is on meds, but sometimes it comes anyway. I've learned to just do what we need to and let him be. I take the kids and tell him when he's ready, here's where we are...Pushing him will just make us all miserable. That said, I also have depression. Mine is not as severe as his and my meds help a lot, but it's still there. Planning, looking at and talking about Disney stuff helps to keep me from going into a funk. It gives me something to look forward to so it stinks when he says that my planning and talking about it frustrates him.
I surprised him with a trip to New Orleans for his birthday and he was so excited about it! But he still managed to sleep a lot of the day away and we spent one of our 4 days in the room all day because he just couldn't get up. It's hard having depression, it's also hard being with someone who has depression. Thankfully, I have had 12 years and I know when I just need to leave him be and let him come around in his own time. I do LOTS of things with just me and the girls because of it which is why if I plan another trip in the near future, I am okay if he wants to stay home or if he wants to just hang in the room. Again, thank you so much for sharing...it really helps and means a lot to me to know that someone else goes through this and finds ways to make it work. :)💙

Upvote 0

SteveAZee

My solution was to explain to my wife that we're essentially going to a nice resort in Florida (we rented at Old Key West) which happens to be adjacent to some nice amusement parks. I then booked table service meals and planned it all around mid-afternoon to early evening activities in the parks, so she could sleep late, eat well, see some attractions, then back to the room for dinner and a glass or two of wine, and perhaps a dip in the pool. It seemed to work since she suggested that she'd do it again sometime.

Upvote 0

Stitch in Wonderland

Original Poster
Good thing he's not my husband because we probably would be divorced for as much as I bring up Disney on a daily basis.

If he really doesn't like it I'd consider leaving him home.
Either have it be just you and the kids or see if a friend or relative wants to go with you.
[/QUOTE]

I just talked to him and he said he is looking forward to it this time, so that's good! He said it's too far away for him to be getting too into it. I have hope yet! I'll just have to share my enthusiasm with my friends and you all for now!

Upvote 0

stratman50th

My solution was to explain to my wife that we're essentially going to a nice resort in Florida (we rented at Old Key West) which happens to be adjacent to some nice amusement parks. I then booked table service meals and planned it all around mid-afternoon to early evening activities in the parks, so she could sleep late, eat well, see some attractions, then back to the room for dinner and a glass or two of wine, and perhaps a dip in the pool. It seemed to work since she suggested that she'd do it again sometime.
I like this idea. I'm the one who doesn't really care about Disney any longer. My wife is getting close but still gets jazzed up as the trip gets close. We went over in April and stayed 5 days 4 nights. We had one day left on a park hopper from December. We stayed at Ft. Wilderness and spent most of the week just running around. Checked out the pools at the Fort, went over to AK lodge as we'd never seen it before. Basically did a property sight seeing trip. Our one park day was in EPCOT as she wanted to see the Flower and Garden Festival. Worked for us.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom