News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

Missing20K

Compare it to the photos posted by @ptaylor earlier. It’s a flat wall with square windows. The front isn’t much different without the ornamental grille.
I feel a photoshop coming on.....
Compare it to the photos posted by @ptaylor earlier. It’s a flat wall with square windows. The front isn’t much different without the ornamental grille.
5 min photoshop. Had other things come up so it's a really rough. Gets the idea across though.

Missing20K

Typical of the crop here on Magic lately. Resorting to extremes to justify their anti-Disney hate 😂
Why is having a critical eye toward the product equated to hate? Why must it be so black and white for so many? Is it possible that DIS has both successes and failures?

I think the GD is a shortcoming.

The new GF to MK walkway is muy bueno!

Isn't that why we all come here? To have the discussions? What we like and what we don't?

HoldenC

Why is having a critical eye toward the product equated to hate? Why must it be so black and white for so many? Is it possible that DIS has both successes and failures?

I think the GD is a shortcoming.

The new GF to MK walkway is muy bueno!

Isn't that why we all come here? To have the discussions? What we like and what we don't?
It is a hotel. Nothing more nothing less.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
And to be honest, and bring this thing back on topic, I realize that many here love the intricate theming of the 70's/80's/90's Disney resorts (as I do) but as someone who stays at the Swan and Dolphin often, Disney theming isn't a top priority for me which is why I think the design and feel of these new rooms work for someone like me.

lazyboy97o

And to be honest, and bring this thing back on topic, I realize that many here love the intricate theming of the 70's/80's/90's Disney resorts (as I do) but as someone who stays at the Swan and Dolphin often, Disney theming isn't a top priority for me which is why I think the design and feel of these new rooms work for someone like me.
But this isn’t something in the vein of the Contemporary or the Golf Resort. It is being sold as a themed experience.

ToTBellHop

I don't know--I actually like the new rooms on property. The parks are so heavily themed as to be a bit garish at times, so I actually like to retire to a room for rest and relaxation that is a bit more subdued but feels clean. Then again, I've always preferred the more subdued look of the deluxe resorts to the garish value resorts that people insist "your kids will demand!!!11"

Those Little Mermaid rooms give me a headache in pictures. I'd never book them.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
But this isn’t something in the vein of the Contemporary or the Golf Resort. It is being sold as a themed experience.
Eh, its being sold as another moderate resort, and really it's being sold to conventions and the business folk who really don't care about theme, more of functionality. And yes you can have both, I understand.

SorcererMC

Great set of then vs. now photos posted this morning from @WDWtraveler in the WDW General Discussion forum.
Fortieth set of photo pairs. Then: Coronado Springs Resort February 2017. An overview from the balcony of one of the Casitas buildings.

Overview2 Feb 2017.JPG

Now: July 2019. Same view. Two of the Cabana buildings were replaced with the Gran Destino tower. The resort received an updated paint scheme.

Overview2 Jul 2019.JPG

Then: February 2017. The view from the walkway near The Dig Site leading to the Cabanas.

From Cabanas2 Feb 2017.JPG

Now: July 2019.

From Cabanas2 Jul 2019.JPG

Then: February 2017. The view from in front of The Dig Site.

From Pool Feb 2017.JPG

Now: July 2019.

From Pool Jul 2019.JPG

Then: February 2017. The view looking back from the bridge to The Dig Site.

Bridge Feb 2017.JPG

Now: July 2019. The overhead lights attached to the poles may look the same, but they are slightly different. The landscaping around the bridge was also replaced.

Bridge Jul 2019.JPG

dreday3

Well Disney must have done something right. I have seen so many posts all over the place from people either booking new trips to stay at Destino, adding on to existing trips to stay a night or two at Destino or switching from wherever they were booked previously to stay at Destino. And this was before they added free dining offer!

Glad we booked when we did!

Sir_Cliff

I don't know--I actually like the new rooms on property. The parks are so heavily themed as to be a bit garish at times, so I actually like to retire to a room for rest and relaxation that is a bit more subdued but feels clean. Then again, I've always preferred the more subdued look of the deluxe resorts to the garish value resorts that people insist "your kids will demand!!!11"

Those Little Mermaid rooms give me a headache in pictures. I'd never book them.
I'm getting the sense that quite a few of us here fall into this category and it has a big impact on reaction to these new rooms.

I also like the deluxe resorts in part because the theming is more subtle than in the moderates and value resorts. Once you get below the deluxes, I'd probably prefer to stay in something closer to what a good hotel chain would offer in the same price range rather than be surrounded by the cast of Cars or a motel room with carpeting and sheets meant to evoke life on the bayou. That's also why I generally like the updated, toned-down rooms in many of these resorts that others seem to find a watering down of the theming. For example, the Cars rooms in Art of Animation actually look kind of nice now!

Then again, my demographic is more the average conference attendee than that which most of the Disney moderates and values aim toward.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I would love to hear you explain this.

The resort is a failure of design. How does the fact that you read some internet posts about people booking it, change that?

Also, if you could quote any post here where anyone said it would be a financial failure, or that it would be empty, that would be super too.
Yeah, I don't think it is. The rooms look beautiful and functional. Now if you want to claim a thematic failure compared to the older Disney Resorts, I'm sure I can get on board with that but I'm not sure the likes of Wilderness Lodge and Yacht and Beach Club are the bar anymore. Those days were long gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom