Do you think you will ever enjoy Epcot again??

Amidala

I think I can have issues w/ the lack of thematic coherence and still enjoy the park for what it is, those feelings don't have to be mutually exclusive. I'm fine with the integration of IP into the park if it means FW will get a much needed aesthetic overhaul & some new attractions, and am feeling mostly positive about the changes. Anything is better than letting FW continue to rot untouched, but like I said...I do wish they would give a little more consideration to how these additions will integrate w/ the overall theme. Don't love the idea of a beer garden taking up so much space in FW, leery about the GOTG coaster (which can easily redeem itself for me if the pre and post-show are in any way educational or draw on Quill's childhood memories of Epcot in a fun, self-referential way) and hoping the Play Pavilion's offerings will be more substantial than they seem so far. But also super excited for the landscaping and other design improvements coming to FW, which are much-needed and matter more to me in the long run.

I would also LOVE to see some of the Land & Sea expansion hinted at in the original Blue Sky concept art. There's plenty of potential to build out those smaller areas, w/ new attractions and themed spaces (like the "rainforest"-eqsue section with the coaster, if I'm remembering correctly). The idea that FW could see some expansion & new placemaking for the first time in years is super exciting to me. So...kind of a mixed bag, but I agree w/ others that abandoning Epcot Center is the best path at this point...FW has been a shell of its former self for a while, it's past time for that area of the park to grow into a new identity.

BoarderPhreak

I'll always love EPCOT Center. Epcot... At least World Showcase is still the same as it ever was (mostly). Future World had to fail eventually because it simply wasn't maintained. Hopefully the reboot will breathe new life into the entire front half of the park; it certainly can't get much worse at this point. So, better than nothing I suppose.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
You keep forgetting that my perspective explains that which you experience in the real world. That's why you're complaining. The only place your perspective has even a tenuous fingerhold is within an echo chamber of Disney complainers. Out there at the gates and in the parks, your comments are unequivocally refuted as ridiculous nonsense.
Even though your comment was a response to, @flynnibus , ill just leave this here.

You speak as if your interpretations are a direct access to reality. Your comments lack qualifiers and are completely void of any form of recognizable metacognition, which indicates your (obvious) desire to be at the top of a self created hierarchy here on these forums. (and most likely in all social aspects of life). It is evident in your use of the word "translation", which you use as a substitute for "youre wrong and I'm right". You could remove "translation" from your responses and they would still function as a reply, but either your subconscious or fear of outright confrontation chose it ("translation") to exert your opinion as authority.

You present an objective and polished personality to the world, but your true agenda is to simply dominate or "win" (in this case, the discussion), regardless of the fact that those around you aren't competing. These are all signs of masking sociopathic behavior with narcissism.

bUU

You speak as if your interpretations are a direct access to reality.
Incorrect. I speak as if my explanations explain why Disney does what folks like flynnibus are complaining about.

Your comments lack qualifiers
That's remarkably common here; if you think that should only apply to the comments you agree with then you're sorely mistaken.

These are all signs of masking sociopathic behavior with narcissism.
You're projecting. You should talk to someone about that.

Amidala

I didn't bother replying to your "its what I like so..." posts earlier.. but if you insist.

The festivals are not there for entertainment value - they are there to create a visiting draw and revenue.

It's no better than saying "They should just put more stores in, because people like shopping"

You like festivals? Fine... but it's not a theme park... nor should you or others be paying world class theme park pricing as admission to a city food festival.

WS already *was* a food festival. Always. But it was a Disney food festival. That is to say, not Disney in the modern sense of 'add $11/h Miguel from Honduras in a Donald suit'. But Disney in the sense that unlike all other similar food festivals in the world, the Disney festival doesn't consist of mildly decorated food booths but of fully realised, remarkably sophisticated environments that fully immerse the guests.

The modern permanent food festival WS is not an evolution, but a regression, a deterioration, of both WS and of what it means to make something 'more Disney'.

I'm having a little trouble understanding in what way the festivals are "a deterioration" of World Showcase. Are you suggesting the kiosks themselves break immersion for guests? Because that feels like a bit of a reach to me. Would you take issue if the festival food was served in highly themed kiosks, better integrated into their respective countries? In my experience, newcomers to WDW still spend plenty of time exploring the WC pavilions (regardless of whether or not a festival is going on), while locals have experienced these locations many, many times and appreciate the efficiency of the festival kiosks, which allows them to grab their food and wander freely. I agree the festivals are a serious issue, but only because TDO has leaned on them to push attendance numbers, which in turn has allowed them to neglect Future World. Now TDO is finally putting in the necessary work with FW...so what threat do the festivals pose?

Also, reducing the Epcot festivals down to "city food festival" strikes me as a bit much. By that logic, Kilimanjaro is "just a safari" I can do at virtually any Six Flags for half the price. Association with Disney elevates these kinds of experiences and makes them more special in many peoples' opinions, even if that's not the case for you.

A nice solution might be to schedule seasonal Future World exhibits in the vein of a World's Fair, showcasing technological advancements. Something like this would fit nicely in the Play Pavilion, and allow FW to share in some of that energy and enthusiasm TDO has depended on festivals to bring in. Not sure this would ever happen, since the sponsorship model seems to be on its way out, but it's a nice thought.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm having a little trouble understanding in what way the festivals are "a deterioration" of World Showcase. Are you suggesting the kiosks themselves break immersion for guests?

The festivals were brought up because they are what props Epcot up now. People were pointing to effectively saying 'Epcot is still doing just fine.. so it must be you' because they can point to attendance numbers, etc. The point being pumping the park with temporary draws that simply co-habitate the park does not mean the park's core is good or healthy. It means many people came to Epcot to experience something else..

Or to put it another way - would the festival draw or product change radically if it were somewhere else? Say, Disney springs? Would people not go because it wasn't Epcot? Would Epcot still draw the same numbers if the festivals weren't there?

All these points highlight that the numbers alone do not prove the Epcot concept, or Epcot as a THEME PARK is just as healthy as ever (or even better than in the past).

The festivals remain temporary co-resident events that Disney has successfully marketed to guests as reasons to come to Epcot to see... not that they improve Epcot as a theme park. In fact, most would probably argue its there to make them more interested in visiting Epcot.. which means they are there for the festival, not Epcot.

so what threat do the festivals pose?

Why bother with a norweigan bakery and setting if you can just setup a shed and sell the same goods? How long before you start giving up placemaking just to fit another kiosk? Eventually wouldn't you find single serving and walking around with your food a detrement if that's what became the dominate thing instead of a nice diversion?

Also, reducing the Epcot festivals down to "city food festival" strikes me as a bit much. By that logic, Kilimanjaro is "just a safari" I can do at virtually any Six Flags for half the price. Association with Disney elevates these kinds of experiences and makes them more special in many peoples' opinions, even if that's not the case for you.

The only thing they are elevating is the price/portion. There are far more engaging food celebrations around if thats what you want to experience. That doesn't make food sampling a central idea of what to build a theme park around.

Amidala

The festivals were brought up because they are what props Epcot up now. People were pointing to effectively saying 'Epcot is still doing just fine.. so it must be you' because they can point to attendance numbers, etc. The point being pumping the park with temporary draws that simply co-habitate the park does not mean the park's core is good or healthy. It means many people came to Epcot to experience something else..

Or to put it another way - would the festival draw or product change radically if it were somewhere else? Say, Disney springs? Would people not go because it wasn't Epcot? Would Epcot still draw the same numbers if the festivals weren't there?

All these points highlight that the numbers alone do not prove the Epcot concept, or Epcot as a THEME PARK is just as healthy as ever (or even better than in the past).

The festivals remain temporary co-resident events that Disney has successfully marketed to guests as reasons to come to Epcot to see... not that they improve Epcot as a theme park. In fact, most would probably argue its there to make them more interested in visiting Epcot.. which means they are there for the festival, not Epcot.

I agree with all of this, and have already said in the post you're replying to that "the festivals are a serious issue [...] because TDO has leaned on them to push attendance numbers, which in turn has allowed them to neglect Future World." You don't need to prove this to me, I'm with you! My counter-point is that TDO is already in the process of addressing these problems...The complaint is that Disney is focusing on festivals to the detriment of the park itself, but TDO has now announced multiple new attractions and a much-needed thematic overhaul to Future World. Whether or not those changes will be well-received on this forum remains to be seen, but the point stands that TDO is putting in the necessary work, while continuing to run the seasonal festivals. If, 5-10 years from now, Future World has a clean, contemporary look, beautiful landscaping and a new slate of attractions, will it really matter that guests are coming for Food & Wine? Even if they do, the updates to FW will (hopefully) speak for themselves, and provide fresh incentive for guests to come back. Not to mention I'm sure such a massive overhaul will be heavily marketed by Disney, especially to locals.

You can't really have a discussion about how TDO has relied on the festivals to ignore the rest of the park w/o addressing the elephant in the room...which is that they are officially focusing on the rest of the park.

Why bother with a norweigan bakery and setting if you can just setup a shed and sell the same goods? How long before you start giving up placemaking just to fit another kiosk? Eventually wouldn't you find single serving and walking around with your food a detrement if that's what became the dominate thing instead of a nice diversion?

This is purely hypothetical. Food & Wine has been going on since the 90s, and the country pavilions are as beautiful as ever...with TDO reportedly planning to build Brazil. If Brazil turns out to be a lone shed with a handful of food options, then I can entertain this argument.

The only thing they are elevating is the price/portion. There are far more engaging food celebrations around if thats what you want to experience. That doesn't make food sampling a central idea of what to build a theme park around.

And guests can stay at a true luxury resort for the same price (or less) than Contemporary/Poly/Grand Flo, but they don't. You'll always be able to point to higher quality experiences with lower price points outside of Disney. Like I said, it's a different (and clearly to some) more valuable experience by sheer association with Disney...and being set against the backdrop of WSC doesn't exactly hurt its appeal either, so belatedly, no, I don't think a Disney Springs festival would see anywhere near the same level of enthusiasm from guests. Disney has actually tried this on a smaller scale (offering seasonal food & beverage items at Springs, complete with Epcot festival-esque pamphlets listing the locations and prices) w/ what I saw as a lukewarm response. Could be wrong there, but don't think so.

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

I had a family member who was a lifelong Disneyland veteran come to WDW last year and he loved Epcot a lot. Thought it was very unique. Despite some attempts at "Disneyfication" of Epcot it is still unlike any other place in the world. No, I think I'll like it for quite some time still.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My counter-point is that TDO is already in the process of addressing these problems...The complaint is that Disney is focusing on festivals to the detriment of the park itself, but TDO has now announced multiple new attractions and a much-needed thematic overhaul to Future World

I'm not willing to believe the second coming is here yet. We are getting 'something' but not really sure what yet. I need to see what they actually go with. So that's "wait and see" from me.

You can't really have a discussion about how TDO has relied on the festivals to ignore the rest of the park w/o addressing the elephant in the room...which is that they are officially focusing on the rest of the park.

Still lots of holes and we don't know what we are getting really yet. So.. its not really changing my POV yet.

This is purely hypothetical. Food & Wine has been going on since the 90s, and the country pavilions are as beautiful as ever...with TDO reportedly planning to build Brazil. If Brazil turns out to be a lone shed with a handful of food options, then I can entertain this argument.

You asked 'what could...' - we already see the stands becoming semi-perm installs instead of the removal they used to do. My point was there is more that can be done when you make the grab n go such a primary focus instead of a simple marketing effort to help in the off season like it used to be.

And guests can stay at a true luxury resort for the same price (or less) than Contemporary/Poly/Grand Flo, but they don't.

Yeah, but at least they are going to a hotel... to be a hotel... not something else that just hung out at the hotel and never left...

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Not against the festivals at EPCOT. My issue is more about their frequency.
The sample size portions are not cheap (to me), and the recipes are rarely true to the country of origin. Alcoholic drinks are too small in relation to price, imo.

World Showcase is my favorite portion of the park, so I spend my time exploring and enjoying the international and cultural atmosphere, more so than the festivals booths.

KeithVH

I'm also worried about this logic of large crowds=doing the right thing. No. H_ll no. Otherwise, you might as well start copying what they do at Six Flags and KBF if crowds are your measuring stick. See how that works out for you.

What really disturbs me though is the sea change I'm noticing with forum membership. Maybe it's just some being more vocal than they used to be, I dunno. I mean there's always been a small fanboi segment here where TDO could do no wrong. But the increased acceptance of the mediocrity presented to guests is now reaching unbelievable levels.

And just so everyone knows, I still REALLY love me some Anaheim. I guess I'm just sad about developments at the World since the mid 90's. Then again, I spend my $$ mostly on DCL now . . .

KeithVH

Not against the festivals at EPCOT. My issue is more about their frequency.
The sample size portions are not cheap (to me), and the recipes are rarely true to the country of origin. Alcoholic drinks are too small in relation to price, imo.

World Showcase is my favorite portion of the park, so I spend my time exploring and enjoying the international and cultural atmosphere, more so than the festivals booths.
Yeah, I guess I don't mind them. I surely wouldn't make them my reason for a park visit though. But I defy anyone to stand up with a straight face and say that the stupid booths don't have a seriously negative impact on foot traffic patterns in WS. Can you imagine trying to do either Tapestry show now? Or even just some lost sightlines for Illuminations.

KikoKea

Well, Epcot has been a half-day park for us for years. Sitting outside at Electric Umbrella with a (refillable!) soda while watching the fountain is more entertaining if we have time to kill, after walking the world and riding LWtL and Spaceship. But, we're usually off to MK by early evening.

So, I'm afraid Epcot is going to take quite a lot of work to make it attractive for us. @KeithVH is correct- the park could be and SHOULD be so much more. If the Forever Epcot show is good, we might stick around occasionally to see it. When the frenzy over GG dies down, we'll ride it. We'll see, in a few years. Meanwhile, I'm not holding my breath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom