News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Anjin

It's funny to me because Disney taking over is what reminded me how much I used to like Star Wars. The prequels had actually left me thinking that maybe I didn't actually like it anymore. But The Force Awakens and the Marvel comic made me a fan again. Heck, I even liked The Last Jedi.

I get that my opinion is not the norm and it sucks that Disney has driven away so many. But there are dozens of us out here who do like this stuff, I'm sure.

solidyne

It's funny to me because Disney taking over is what reminded me how much I used to like Star Wars. The prequels had actually left me thinking that maybe I didn't actually like it anymore. But The Force Awakens and the Marvel comic made me a fan again. Heck, I even liked The Last Jedi.

I get that my opinion is not the norm and it sucks that Disney has driven away so many. But there are dozens of us out here who do like this stuff, I'm sure.
Dozens? Yep, that appears to be the crowd size. ;):D

truecoat

@TP2000 heres the trowbridge video

He said the first thing we thought was how do we become a participant in Star Wars.

Stealing fuel from a train?

Stand in line to get a drink?

Buy a lightsaber instead of having one handed down to you from an old man who kept it from the guy who he severed several limbs off of?

Get a hotdog in a tortilla?

Make sure the place is devoid of music?

um, how about letting me blow up the Death Star. You had 3 movies where that was the focal point, it would be a good start.

mickEblu

He said the first thing we thought was how do we become a participant in Star Wars.

Stealing fuel from a train?

Stand in line to get a drink?

Buy a lightsaber instead of having one handed down to you from an old man who kept it from the guy who he severed several limbs off of?

Get a hotdog in a tortilla?

Make sure the place is devoid of music?

um, how about letting me blow up the Death Star. You had 3 movies where that was the focal point, it would be a good start.

And can that Death Star ride please go fast? You know how the spaceships go in the movies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. The condescension is just dripping from these Imagineers. (Except maybe Asa, whose Science of Imagineering DVDs my family is so fond of.)

I kinda assumed they didn’t understand Star Wars...
But I didn’t want to believe it.

Those people don’t get it at all. They think it’s art and they want to put their stamp on it.

It’s character driven and deals with classic themes and conflicts from thousands of years of human history.

I didn’t think anyone could be more clueless about it than KK and her man boy favorite director...
...stand corrected.

britain

I don’t understand the problem with the “we don’t think of the kind of rides first“ quote.

Did Walt want a boat ride and was he in search of an excuse to make it happen when he built Pirates? Did WED know they needed an elevator/omnimover hybrid in the northern corner of New Orleans Square, and it just so happened that a haunted house fit the bill?

It would be ridiculous to start off by saying “Okay what kinds of rides should a Star Wars land have” because that would put the rest of your brainstorming into a box. You’d never come up with RotR because WHOOPS you were thinking about roller coasters.

You start by saying what are some quintessential Star Wars experiences that you’ve always wanted to be in. As that develops, you THEN try to think of (or invent) ride systems that can accomplish that experience. Whether or not they were successful in that execution is a separate discussion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t understand the problem with the “we don’t think of the kind of rides first“ quote.

Did Walt want a boat ride and was he in search of an excuse to make it happen when he built Pirates? Did WED know they needed an elevator/omnimover hybrid in the northern corner of New Orleans Square, and it just so happened that a haunted house fit the bill?

It would be ridiculous to start off by saying “Okay what kinds of rides should a Star Wars land have” because that would put the rest of your brainstorming into a box. You’d never come up with RotR because WHOOPS you were thinking about roller coasters.

You start by saying what are some quintessential Star Wars experiences that you’ve always wanted to be in. As that develops, you THEN try to think of (or invent) ride systems that can accomplish that experience. Whether or not they were successful in that execution is a separate discussion.
I think the problem is that they don’t have those technical and budget restrictions now. There’s no reason not to start with the rides.

The deal is Disney has been “caught” in the theme park concept. Not eclipsed, but competive on close to equal ground.

For the first 40 years:..everything they did was the best - no matter what it was. They could use “theme park” as a defense of anything.

That has changed. They now have been brought back down to the ground where the amusement aspects matter.

You can build a sandblasted junk town...fine. But it better pack the punch in the rides.

Unless something has been horribly missed...this land is not as good as avatar or what they did with potter in Florida. And it may not be In conversation.

I don’t know how they spin that...but they’ll try.

They KNEW the bar they had to meet with Potter. And while the other ride looks better, they underbuilt the land and put in a kinda lame-0 simulator.

And by the way - I dispute the part of that video where they say they HAD to center it around the millennium falcon.

It was a must if you we’re talking 77-83...because it was Bad_ss...

What have they done in 7 and 8?

Like R2 - painfully not enough. One kinda cool sequence in 7...flown by the wrong person. Come on - admit it: we thought we were gonna what we wanted there in the third trailer and then “lensflare” pulled his ambiguity crap.

Best scene has been Chewie picking up Rey in the snow...that was cool. It just so happened to be focused on chewie too.

Almost like it’s a pattern or something??

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

😳🤯

britain

I think the problem is that they don’t have those technical and budget restrictions now. There’s no reason not to start with the rides.

The deal is Disney has been “caught” in the theme park concept. Not eclipsed, but competive on close to equal ground.

For the first 40 years:..everything they did was the best - no matter what it was. They could use “theme park” as a defense of anything.

That has changed. They now have been brought back down to the ground where the amusement aspects matter.

You can build a sandblasted junk town...fine. But it better pack the punch in the rides.

Unless something has been horribly missed...this land is not as good as avatar or what they did with potter in Florida. And it may not be In conversation.

I don’t know how they spin that...but they’ll try.

They KNEW the bar they had to meet with Potter. And while the other ride looks better, they underbuilt the land and put in a kinda lame-0 simulator.

And by the way - I dispute the part of that video where they say they HAD to center it around the millennium falcon.

It was a must if you were talking 77-83...because it was Bad_ss...

What have they done in 7 and 8?

Like R2 - painfully not enough. One kinda cool sequence in 7...flown by the wrong person. Come on - admit it: we thought we were gonna he what we wanted there in the third trailer and then “lensflare” pulled his ambiguity crap.

Best scene has been Chewie picking up Rey in the snow...that was cool. It just so happened to be focused on chewie too.

Almost like it’s a pattern or something??

Uh, I don’t think you got what I was saying.

TROR

I’ve always wanted to pilot an X Wing.

mickEblu

Major apple and oranges. First of all NOS/ POTC are not based on IP. There were no expectations there. Expectations based on 40 years and 10+ movies etc.

Second, Walt was pioneering all of this stuff as he went along. You can’t compare that to 2019 Disney.

mickEblu

Not to mention Walt’s intentions were always to give guests the best experience he could. To give them stuff they didn’t even know they wanted. With SWL, it’s the opposite, people knew what they wanted and most didn’t get it.

Its obvious that with this land they prioritized shopping and merchandise experiences instead of rides because well, as we re hearing they re making a few hundred grand a day from sweet alcoholic beverages and a CM pretending he’s a Jedi master.

Then to make matters worse they focused on and prioritized this immersion thing at the expense of theme park basics like music, fun, and pleasant aesthetics. That’s what Trowbridge was getting at and that’s where they failed. The Major experiences of theme park land are the attractions. That’s what has the staying power and creates the buzz. Those merch experiences are fools gold IMO. I expect a dramatic drop off in revenue from the droid and lightsaber experiences. Alcohol will most likely always be in style but that revenue will most likely gradually decrease as well.

And I know ROTR will probably at the very least be a good attraction but to not have a fast thrilling Star Wars ride is a miss of epic proportions.

What they did was try to Check too many boxes and in the process just kind of put the basics to the side.

Oh ya, to end my rant I can’t cut any slack for a company that’s ignorantly at best and downright shameful at worst can’t find a way to incorporate shade into this new land in Sunny Southern California. Like I said before, you want shade? Go buy a $200 lightsaber or go eat something.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom