News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

lifeisgoodboy

Really? How bad do you have to be? I ask because when I was the engineer I had no idea what I was doing, and my co-engineer was a sullen teen checking her Instagram who refused to do anything the entire flight. And I never saw cracks in the cockpit glass.

On one of my flights someone in the gunner spot was hanging on for dear life.

thequeuelinelectures

That is a brilliant point and describes what I've been unable to articulate. It's not a great simulator (weak graphics, little real movement, no thrill, lame story (Pick up a canister, really? In Star Tours we blew up the freakin' Death Star!) and 2/3 of the riders really can't see the screen well), while at the same time the interaction for 2/3 is just as bad if not worse than Mission:Space. Heck, with MS, I get a joystick.

Midway Mania, which I'm not a huge fan of but others really enjoy it, is truly interactive and your involvement is clear and directly affects the outcome of your personal experience.

SR truly does neither well.

But being in the cockpit of the Falcon is awesome, which is why I think the reviews get progressively worse the more you ride it as that thrill dissipates.

This is basically the thesis of the video I'm making right now on the ride. In order to "fulfill the fantasy" of smugglers run they need to put you in a star wars story as well as giving you control over the falcon, but the concessions needed to accomplish both means it does neither well. It basically doesn't tell a story (aside from the ludo narrative of your cockpit) and the game falls apart when you realize how little agency you have

thequeuelinelectures

I don't think they place much importance on the use of the queue in the story of the attraction anymore. Everything is about Fastpass and that usually bypasses most of the queue. For those in the queue nowadays, if there is some kind of effect, it has to be timed with very long intervals since the standby queue moves so slowly, or people in standby will hear or see it over and over. The old use of the queue to start the story and set the tone of the attraction just does not work with Fastpass!

I think it's a little different here. Part of the issue is since they want to eventually randomize the missions they had to make the queue generic so it could fit any task you are given by hondo. Notice how the preshow with the AA mentions nothing about correlia or coaxium or anything. They can't use the queue to introduce characters, villians, locations, conflicts, nothing.

TROR

I think it's a little different here. Part of the issue is since they want to eventually randomize the missions they had to make the queue generic so it could fit any task you are given by hondo. Notice how the preshow with the AA mentions nothing about correlia or coaxium or anything. They can't use the queue to introduce characters, villians, locations, conflicts, nothing.
Similar flaw of new Star Tours, but even then Star Tours introduces plenty of planets in the queue. Falcon is such a disappointment.

thequeuelinelectures

Similar flaw of new Star Tours, but even then Star Tours introduces plenty of planets in the queue. Falcon is such a disappointment.

Yeah they could have gone with a Star Tours style "mission board" but now you're really not differentiating the two which are already pretty similar. It's a tough situation

thequeuelinelectures

I also don’t really dislike the ride. I’d give it a meh. Being optimistic, it’s a bad game for a supisingly solid platform. The controls feel nice, the cockpit looks great, and the underlying tech is pretty impressive.

If future missions do come out that push the interactivity further to give make actual ramifications for doing well/poorly and tell hopefully a more engaging story I could see the ride being great

TROR

I also don’t really dislike the ride. I’d give it a meh. Being optimistic, it’s a bad game for a supisingly solid platform. The controls feel nice, the cockpit looks great, and the underlying tech is pretty impressive.

If future missions do come out that push the interactivity further to give make actual ramifications for doing well/poorly and tell hopefully a more engaging story I could see the ride being great
I don’t think there’s any way to fix the gunner and engineer positions due to simply how they are laid out. There’s no way to make the gunner fun without giving the position a joy stick and a targeting system. Engineer is hopeless. No matter how much interactivity they add this will always be the case. Not to mention the lack of motion the simulator offers. Turn down the interaction aspect and turn up the movement, I say.

mickEblu

I don’t think there’s any way to fix the gunner and engineer positions due to simply how they are laid out. There’s no way to make the gunner fun without giving the position a joy stick and a targeting system. Engineer is hopeless. No matter how much interactivity they add this will always be the case. Not to mention the lack of motion the simulator offers. Turn down the interaction aspect and turn up the movement, I say.

I agree. It would be a huge undertaking to fix those positions. No easy task.

ProjectXBlog

it’s honestly ridiculous. i finally got pilot for the first time last weekend (this was my 5th time overall; i wanted to try every seat before coming to a concrete opinion on the ride) and even then i was bummed because the people in the other positions couldn’t get into it - and i don’t blame them! even leaving the cockpit, the two friends who were engineers were complaining about how they had no idea what in the hell just happened or what they were supposed to look at or do. it’s awful show, pure and simple

RobWDW1971

it’s awful show, pure and simple

For me, the orchestral music in the ride just took me out of the moment. I mean, why would there be music playing inside Hondo's ship on a smuggling run?! I want to be fully immersed, dammit! Apparently the ride designers didn't get the immersion memo!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll show myself out.

Last edited:

ProjectXBlog

For me, the orchestral music in the ride just took me out of the moment. I mean, why would there be music playing inside Hondo's ship on a smuggling run?! I want to be fully immersed, dammit! Apparently the ride designers didn't get the immersion memo!
really, truly, honestly: why did they shoot themselves in the foot with all of the immersion when all it takes to break it is waiting in the extended queue for smugglers?
59F18CAE-0152-4CF8-A6E0-4337D8F6DD56.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree. It would be a huge undertaking to fix those positions. No easy task.
I actually found the Engineering position to be fun. But then again I like fixing things. Got 100% BTW, proud of myself....

Speaking of fixing things, its an easy fix. Turn the chair toward the buttons/switches, and have a monitor that displays the same video as out the main window. You could even superimpose a partial external image of the Falcon so as to make it look like you're looking at an external camera view from outside the Falcon. So then the Engineer never has to look away. You easily can do the same thing with the gunner position.

mickEblu

I actually found the Engineering position to be fun. But then again I like fixing things. Got 100% BTW, proud of myself....

Speaking of fixing things, its an easy fix. Turn the chair toward the buttons/switches, and have a monitor that displays the same video as out the main window. You could even superimpose a partial external image of the Falcon so as to make it look like you're looking at an external camera view from outside the Falcon. So then the Engineer never has to look away. You easily can do the same thing with the gunner position.

Booooo. Sounds terrible. A monitor? Now I’m staring at a monitor while the action on the bigger screen in front is happening? Not to mention the simulator movement would be so off.

Last edited:

TROR

That’s not easy fix at all. No one wants to look at a tiny monitor instead of out the actual cockpit.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Booooo. Sounds terrible. A monitor? Now I’m staring at a monitor while the action on the bigger screen in front is happening? Not to mention the simulator movement would be so off.
That’s not easy fix at all. No one wants to look at a tiny monitor instead of out the actual cockpit.
Well you guys are already panning the Engineer position anyways because you can't look out the cockpit while pushing the button/switches. At least looking at a monitor you can see the actual action without having to look away to do your "job". It would also make the position more realistic as an Engineer would have external views of the ship being displayed.

And I don't know why the movement would be off since you're looking at the same exact image as the one out the cockpit.

TROR

Well you guys are already panning the Engineer position anyways because you can't look out the cockpit while pushing the button/switches. At least looking at a monitor you can see the actual action without having to look away to do your "job". It would also make the position more realistic as an Engineer would have external views of the ship.

And I don't know why the movement would be off since you're looking at the same exact image as the one out the cockpit.
You'd feel your left side go up when the video shows your front going up. It'd be nauseating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom