News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

Surfin' Tuna

Would be nice if they planted trees along the outside track of TT to hide the whole backstage area.
To hide what? I was backstage the other day, and where there used to be a big box all I could see was a blue sky. Sure it was a little strange on the cloudy day, there it was blue sky. The restaurant looks like it is slowly going away (green).

You're right, though. It used to matter to Disney. What the guests saw used to be important.

ToTBellHop

To hide what? I was backstage the other day, and where there used to be a big box all I could see was a blue sky. Sure it was a little strange on the cloudy day, there it was blue sky. The restaurant looks like it is slowly going away (green).

You're right, though. It used to matter to Disney. What the guests saw used to be important.
You've seen backstage buildings from Test Track for decades. I'm sure it will be painted every bit as effectively as Mission: SPACE and the Mexico pavilion.

Am I the only one who remembers the views from the Skyway? I agree with some of the criticisms, but sometimes nostalgia blinds us to the actual past. Sight lines still matter to the Imagineers.

aladdin2007

You've seen backstage buildings from Test Track for decades. I'm sure it will be painted every bit as effectively as Mission: SPACE and the Mexico pavilion.

Am I the only one who remembers the views from the Skyway? I agree with some of the criticisms, but sometimes nostalgia blinds us to the actual past. Sight lines still matter to the Imagineers.

except for GOTG,,,but despite that Im pleased with the route they went in terms of color etc.

Missing20K

Test Track 2.0 went 80% of the way. Our concept vehicles should be with us every step of the way going through the tests alongside of us. If they do that it's a great attraction befitting of EPCOT Center.
That last 20% misses just enough for me to just "meh" the attraction. Totally agree, if the concept vehicles were integrated to the ride portion, I would be singing a different tune.

Unplugged

My thoughts exactly. They have years of data on Sci-fi Dine-In, and I agree the film loop is timed to encourage people to leave.

They also have years of data on Coral Reef. How long to people chill out and watch the fish?

The menu will also determine the length of time people stay. It takes substantially longer to eat multiple courses than a burger and fries.
As the Reef's tank has slowly mirrored the real worlds dying reefs and the fish have contined to dissapear, I'm sure the average dining time of families has reduced. Which is too bad from an experince level as it was once an amazing place.

I'm sure Dis will do something similar in space for crowd control. Though they have been moving everything to dynamic rendering as opposed to the drive-in clips to support unique guest interaction. So, I'd venture to guess, the space backdrop will all be CG with randomization of specialty things such as Wall-E, astronauts, etc. I'm most curious as to what direction they will take it? Is it going for authentic space station in orbit around Earth? Will the space station "rotate" while in orbit (the Earth view would simply be panning across the view ports)? Will this be a combination and include some surprise IP splashes? I can almost ensure if any IP appears, there will not be any Star Destroyers,Tie Fighters, X-Wings, etc. passing by as they'd never get people out of there!

Ultimately, as you indicated, I believe it's the menu that will drive our length of stay. Though if you don't spend enough, your window may not show much more than "boring stars" or perhaps start cracking, scaring your kiddos into wanting to leave. Of course with Fox rights, they could always flicker the lights, start the alarms, and turn the Aliens loose at set times and clear the place out!

GlacierGlacier

I never understood why they couldn't make this work. It would be entirely digital.

Compared to the real-time render tech used on Smuggler's Run, it surely is a much simpler problem to solve.

The design/display stations run Unity, a game engine. Set up 6 large-scale projection walls throughout the attraction, have your cars render at full scale on the projection walls, and treat it like any other digital effect - just rendered on the fly.

Assets for the engine would need to be upgraded, the current models and textures are sufficient on the small scale they currently are, but blown up larger-than-life would look far far worse than a modern mobile game.

The biggest issues would come from stability - last I checked, Unity doesn't have great (or any) implementation on embedded platforms, and desktop OS's aren't neccesarily stable compared to their embedded counterparts. The Design/Scan stations run Windows 10, and while they're not ride critical, I most certainly have seen one or two down each time I'm there.

Of course, to do all this, they'd need to convince management that 1) It needs the work, 2) it needs the budget, and 3) the park can survive without it's most popular attraction online for however long this would take. So it wouldn't happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom