Disney Resorts: On the Verge of Ordinary

Flynnwriter

Original Poster
With the opening of Gran Destino, the upcoming Riviera Resort, Reflections Lodge, The Cove and the ongoing homogenization of guest room and restaurant interiors (Wilderness Lodge, yacht club, Beach Club... ) Disney has thrown in the towel with signature “Disney” iconic resorts.

With building profiles and architecture redundant of the “outside world” Disney has done a 180 on the very reason guests flock to their premium priced hotels - they are unique, with themed public areas and some with guest room interior design that continues the hotel story. True, some of the rooms were lackluster when compared to the public areas, but they usually had touches and moments of Disney.

With the current “paint the world white” HGTV approach, we are being flooded with generic contemporary design that could be an airport Marriott or Omaha Hilton.

The newly stripped-down rooms are a sad statement for Disney Resorts and erode the brand one room at a time.

One cast member told us, “the new look is the result of guest comments and research.” Believe me, when design is driven by research we will all pay. If this is the case, Disney will forever be chasing their tail.

I’m not sure where it ends.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

Beautifully stated.

One of the things that was groundbreaking about WDW was that the resorts were immersive experiences just like the parks. What is the point of staying on property and paying premium prices except to be immersed in high-quality narrative design - the hallmark of Disney - throughout your whole vacation?

The real test will be: Are guests going to pay as much for Gran Destino and the like, or will they select the fully themed resorts instead when they're at the same price point Hopefully, we will see room rates at Gran Destino, etc., drop after a while, indicating that guest demand is in the direction of immersive environments. Maybe that will change Disney's decision-making. If not... this will be yet another thing that benefits Disney in the short run and damages its overall quality and uniqueness in the long run.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

With the opening of Gran Destino, the upcoming Riviera Resort, Reflections Lodge, The Cove and the ongoing homogenization of guest room and restaurant interiors (Wilderness Lodge, yacht club, Beach Club... ) Disney has thrown in the towel with signature “Disney” iconic resorts.

With building profiles and architecture redundant of the “outside world” Disney has done a 180 on the very reason guests flock to their premium priced hotels - they are unique, with themed public areas and some with guest room interior design that continues the hotel story. True, some of the rooms were lackluster when compare to the public areas, but they usually had touches and moments of Disney.

With the current “paint the world white” HGTV approach we are being flooded with generic contemporary design that could be an airport Marriott or Cincinnati Hilton.

The newly stripped-down rooms are a sad statement for Disney Resorts and erode the brand one room at a time.

One cast member told us, “the new look is the result of guest comments and research.” Believe me, when design is driven by research we will all pay. If this is the case, Disney will forever be chairing their tail.

I’m not sure where it ends.

This is stated brilliantly. My one disagreement would be I think the newer rooms are fine. Disney's rooms had started to feel 20 years out of date (which they were) and what was a five star hotel room at Disney is a three star hotel room in the rest of the world. Minimalism, clean lines, white linens, etc is the style now. Granted there could be a few more thematic touches thrown in for good measure but it was time Disney caught up to the rest of the world in their room aesthetics.

Beyond that, I think the exteriors and common areas are pretty but bland as can be.

Granted, Gran Destino tower was not built for your average Disney guest. It was built almost exclusively for conventioneers who want something more familiar and more "Vegas." Riviera and Reflections will be a bigger test, but from the looks of it we will get more of the same.

bUU

Utter nonsense, beginning with the error of thinking Gran Destino was a deluxe hotel.

Moderates have always been moderate, and yet still offer remarkably themed touches. Now that has been extended to the value resorts proportionate to their price, with the recent re-dos of the rooms at Pop Century. And convenience factors have been racheted up with USB sockets and more easily accessible power sockets everywhere.

Jon81uk

A clean, well-organised room with good blackout curtains/blinds and plenty of power sockets is the main thing I am looking for in a hotel room.
Yes when staying at Disney I expect something that links the room back to the external theme of the building, but I also don't expect garish colours and logos everywhere.

DisneyDebRob

A clean, well-organised room with good blackout curtains/blinds and plenty of power sockets is the main thing I am looking for in a hotel room.
Yes when staying at Disney I expect something that links the room back to the external theme of the building, but I also don't expect garish colours and logos everywhere.
I so agree. I also agree with the OP in some ways. It’s a thin line between what Disney was and what it’s becoming. Times have changed and although the colors of the past make me think of the fun I used to have when I was younger staying at a resort filled with Disney everywhere, today I need a clean room, and little touches to not make me forget where I am. Maybe that’s just the age part of me but if I ever want the past, I can still stay at many of the hotels on property.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
With the current “paint the world white” HGTV approach we are being flooded with generic contemporary design that could be an airport Marriott or Cincinnati Hilton.
THIS Cincinnati Hilton?

What's wrong with the Cincinnati Hilton?

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

You think the rooms at Wl look like the rooms at Beach club??

Oy vey

Oh well it's a day that ends in a ,"y". I'll play along.
I'll say it again I've got to start visiting all these other places, the Marriott by PHL looks nothing like the yacht club.

I haven't been to the new grand Destino. So I'll wait to complain about it until I actually see it

Last edited:

HoldenC

I cant wait to hear the rational that tears down the Contemporary for "Not having a true Disney Theme". Its theme was literally "Modern Hotel"...
People seem to overlook that hideous piece of junk because its a "classic". However the Contemporary and I'll argue the Grand Floridian are very basic. But the little complainers on this site don't care about them because they're in the sacred MK area.

eliza61nyc

Started staying off-site in 2013, and still do unless attending a conference. Architecture and style aside, the amenities and luxuries with Disney's "deluxe" resorts are laughable.

Stayed at Yacht Club in January and aside from being able to walk to Epcot, I felt like I was at a mediocre Marriott.
I don't think the deluxes were ever comparable to a true deluxe. It's always been about Location, location, location

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Disney has thrown in the towel with signature “Disney” iconic resorts.
Not exactly. The more I see of the Gran Destino, (videos and pictures), the more I think it actually adds to the various resort themes. None of the iconic resorts are "Disney" themed.

We have DVC at Boardwalk Villas and aside from the lobby, there isnt much around the resort that smacks you upside the head with "Disney", but we enjoy the Coney Island vibe it offers. Same for a majority of the iconic resorts (Contemporary, GF, AKL, WL, Poly). They are all extremely well themed but offer little to no actual "Disney" in their design, but each have their own unique vibe. I think Gran Destino fits right in. Stunning lobby, vibrant colors, amazing views, several bars/restaurants and it definitely has its own theme with dabs of Dali inspired interior structures and layout.

If you need your "Disney/Mickey Mouse" fix, just hop on one of the new buses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom