One Little Spark- Season 2: The Quest for More Views

Outbound

Original Poster
Congratulations both teams for completing on time! If there are two words I’d say that best describe this round, they would be:

LOST VALLEY

gefHLr6FbFLjZIN3Gt0drdm_hMCYqGXMKQtGbHNCE7yrP3VsMF37bZNPdt9PE-TokLcXEvqzpArzoWQouHamp-K_zRpFicVIphtCW51Xs0spBw_U-x6qQnMPExuXhxDR1-qai1w_

But names aside, both these projects are wildly different. Let’s dive into both.

Outbound's Reviews
zPwMcL82zBmZdbzvcvy5VXtdF_HRKp8bx3xfU792ZNAp2a5DWTGUxf9rcTZ3SI7qjk838pQVu4q1UHiTOPkY4GilFujfCeLLPgN5m2LiM_E8ufVa0ncdqRefIrFFV6QFtvoPt9oC

"If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself." – Henry Ford

This was the active team of the bunch. You guys were nearly done this morning, which is a great sign. You brainstormed early, made detailed plans, and were active throughout- even with a “man down” (hope you are well Pi!).

The decision to use a website quickly sets it apart. The site serves its purpose great. It is very easy to use- and I particularly love the map.

--The Land Theme--
But there’s one thing that just kept bugging me throughout this review, and I think it concerns the theme. The project “overview” simply says the land is going to be more educational (great!) but then directs us to the open-ended map. I actually found the land’s backstory in the Boneyard description-

In 1949 various paleontologists discovered living dinosaurs deep within The Lost Valley, and founded the Dinosaur Institute to better study these once thought extinct creatures.

This is a good backstory, but I would have appreciated a bit more exploration into the Dino Institute for the finished project. You have two full attractions that concern the Insitute yet most of what’s between them are animal exhibits. What’s the Insitute like? Do they act like an animal care center might, with “dinosaur” animal encounters, or are they a silly evil corporation? I think these small things could have connected each individual element of the project together.

--Shops and Dining--
Dining opportunities all sound great! These are often forgotten yet essential elements to any land! There are only two shops in this land, and both are gift shops, but I think it works considering these are two large attractions that deserve large gift shops.

--The Cassowary--
When we gave you this sudden challenge, you guys immediately answered with the perfect animal! The Cassowary’s relations to the Raptor make it a perfect candidate for the Lost Valley. I saw this at my zoo once; a very cool animal!

xMdhPn0Ga65_qaOeSk3mB7zRAB7_VqLiO-sx_1_wnmwVEuQOf3FzZ--etWi1zMVHKvLFOLzve6Rd7IE8c9X80an0FunVGmO--vHqPLCb_j9Sq-yE_u0BLa0o0ZTxq4Tow0FsLkVK

I’ll leave the rest of the animal exhibits alone… PerGron knows a lot more than I do there!

--Previous Dinoland Attractions--
It was smart to keep these parts of the land. The upgrades made all seem great, especially Dinoland updating to furry dinosaurs. Sets it apart from Universal’s more “hollywood” take on the creatures and keeps with the Animal Kingdom mission.

One small suggestion, while I support the removal of Chester and Hester, this did get rid of a wild mouse and dumbo attraction. These aren’t really compensated for elsewhere in the land. Although I get not fitting the coaster, surely a spinning flat ride could be added somewhere? 🤔

--Ducktales--
epLB5PU6VNzhcmxK-ue_3hi7KkBtK7zVF_CmmR9RlNfAWEHf97PHI0yJth2HjeQnt1dsCcH9Hwq-x1dx9qSBhTib-RNyjlck64Lt9oXaPB2CqJ4tXG3a8i_KlZeOCrOOG76rAG46

This is… interesting. On one hand, I see the thought process- we need more family-friendly dark rides in the Animal Kingdom and Ducktales is a great IP to use. The map is very smart by separating it from the rest of the Dino Institue. But on the other, I can’t get Dinosaur! out of my head. This feels like a kiddie dinosaur- encounter various dinosaurs but in a fun way. Maybe some more detail would have cleared up the distinction.

I think you should have played it bold. Maybe add fun water spouts to make it a water ride, or turn it into a kiddie coaster. Something to separate it from the rest of the land. Scooge and company discovering a Dino Valley is a really neat premise that could have opened up an entire miniland.

--The Journey Below--
The moment one of you brought it up I was loving it. 😄

Everyone becomes so caught up in dinosaurs they forget there is so much else. I love the prospect of exploring a different part of the past, yet with the same enthusiasm as you would in the Jurassic Age.

I love the “interactions” and the ability for guests to shine a spotlight on each fauna/flora. An excellent example of edutainment.

The “story” is great, by that I mean the absence of a story. Some of the best early Disney attractions lacked a story and more focused on exploring the environment of that ride. This feels like that. The ending might be a bit scary for the whole family, but I think if it’s done in a short simple way, it won’t be too bad for smaller kids.

Just outside, I love the geysers. Remind me of the Bellagio’s fountains for some reason. A great place for crowds to gather, especially at night.

lOMibp08KrHyF5K8sxXfQvyJrRvZPwp-WX6aDBzvuybLaEo8dqxWu1wuSmYuufhDay19siVGbbPEi_yWeiE1K6s-ARIi4-h2dwKxfl_ib7hqkjpf9-IvMttvb_Pdjncd4yz-syFy

--Conclusion--
A great job. Everyone was involved, and everyone did a great job working on their individual project. I think you may have focused too much on the big attractions and too little on the quality of life details to unite it as land. But this was truly a great project. I loved the creativity in the attractions… a ducktales ride and a ride not even set in the Jurassic era. You should all be proud of yourselves.​

Last edited:

Outbound

Original Poster
WKqAY_GT9FQQPSmuR-k-pymSwoPs2d24Jy9HO_29ZkBWtqNIB4mnRDBHeSN-LYo9yp_NCSKvkYDT_7qmO8BYfn0S3vz2YjeOswPb4w8k65f9CRLMdUZFf8sxVUfKcwtkNLg4gDwr

The two most powerful warriors are patience and time,– Leo Tolstoy

I’m not going to spare any details. I was concerned about Team Red all round. You guys weren’t very active, and it took a few days before a spark was lit. Even after, it appeared a slow flame.

Then yesterday happened... and your team absolutely took off! Leo Tolstoy was right. It took a while for Team Red to begin, but once it did you guys appeared unstoppable!

Your presentation is a simple forum post, but the inclusion of high-quality drawings makes it quite professional. My one issue with the presentation is the lack of a map. A map is really useful, and I would encourage all future projects have some sort of map. It doesn’t have to be pretty, but something basic made with MS Paint would make it much easier to visualize.

--The Land Theme--
I like the focus on backstory. It’s a small, arguably inconsequential part of write-ups that for me sets up the tone of the land. I am liking it already. However, I cannot endorse the Society of Explorers and Adventurers who keep chasing us just for stealing the darn dream machine. /s

--Countdown to Eruption--
I like the incorporation of Dinosaur into the established land’s theme. The changes made are all solid.

--The Evacuators--
Overall, I like the incorporation of a new roller coaster to replace Chester and Hester. Especially one tied to the jungle setting. One small thing I’m confused about, how do the cave paintings work? Would the roller coaster slow down in the manner similar to Seven Dwarves Mine Train? How detailed would they be? It seems a bit of a strange theme to center a coaster around.

Still, this is a fine addition.

--Jungle Journeys--
I am a bit confused by this attraction. From reading the PMs, I believe the “animals” are live? Is this correct?

WyZ_qNAu00ZzdbEH44FdyhXqZjUiteAsKqWcRYuCIo-t6rK5YUDIj0l6zimBcpfexrZv81EuGydaSS_uNB24qUsl3nqaMdgI0HQp3eiAy13UbrOsXuUm9EIxwYW_CYV8LnPLDJP0

If so, this would stand out from Jungle Cruise, although a better name may still be in order. Using both dinosaurs and live animals are interesting, but it makes sense with the theme of a Lost Valley in South America. This attraction fits great with Animal Kingdom’s mission.

--Pteranodon Pass--
Yayyyy a spinner.
lL7NR-zhDKJa8h8aBGsAF5sd3qa3IHx7UHbKtAkGrXHwlXEWH3L9MgHEy6pAFaxXvgPTm_v0E76MuEg0txGprR4ZhBT2RtDMqkHaEf08qJtei0wtBrCAWawyerPhxVtXV7la_LIX

In all seriousness, this is a solid addition. Flat rides are often forgotten about, but they are essential. Although the spinner is a bit overdone, at least you have rethemed it to the flying dinosaurs… instead of a triceratops.

dzhotcW-25_IBFpYYmCJcaw6K01K4_tEVqWytafC3wSX2-y1KFo-4idMqqCQod4mLtolXxIIZyNlN1pxHqhsQRpUBHAtSeS5Z81lG9IoUFvuy4DK8p-jIHFmwL9oVo6C8S7EJ_Ur

[Outbound gets triggered]

--El Arbusto Rancho--
This is a really nice detail. It’s small, but perfectly fitting with the rest of the land. The South American theme fits well, blending animals from our world to the ancient world. And Lucky the Dinosaur is here!

--Lareia--
I love how you used this restaurant as a way to incorporate the native culture of Peru! It’s really subtle but cool. And the “as long as you brought money” line is great.

However, I do think the land could use more shops and dining. I assume it exists and was not mentioned.

--California Condor--
The condor is a cool bird. I appreciate how you tied it into the other animals already in Dinoland. They don’t fit with the Peru theme… so let’s say they were imported there. That’s very smart, it must have been tempting to just add a natural animal from Peru in, but instead, you’ve thought outside of the box to keep the theme running. I like it.

--Conclusion--
Once this project started to come together it became truly wonderous. The entire project feels very cohesive. You did stick to some “cliches” with Dinolands- keeping Countdown to Extinction (with the other team did too so no worries) and using the Evacuator, but each fills a crucial part in a larger whole. “Jungle Journeys” was my favorite. Overall, this is a triumphant message of just how important patience and time are.​

Last edited:

PerGron

Well, I guess it's time to take a jaunt throught the Uncanny Vall... Oops, the Lost Valley.

But seriously, besides the name, both projects are super different and I'm excited to delve into it. Let's get going!

PerGron's Reviews

Before we get into the reviews themselves, I wanted to comment on how well you guys did as a team. From day one, you guys were on top of things and had steady communication throughout. Even with @AceAstro joining the team late, and @Pi on my Cake having to take a short leave, you guys pulled through with great communication that ended up with the project done early. But with all that being said, did this project pull through as the best? We'll have to wait and see.

Overview
So I agree with Outbound here. The land's description and backstory should have been here as opposed to in The Boneyard section of the website.

That being said, the overview section of the site is still pretty fun. I'm a sucker for a good map, and any map with an interactive element will win my heart over. The Logo is also a lot of fun, and the words "Explore-Invent-Excite" captures your Dinoland really well.

Previous Dinoland Attractions
So before we review, I just wanted to say that I'm very glad that both teams kept some semblence of Dinosaur! around. Believe it or not, Dinosaur! is my favorite ride in all of WDW (I don't count Kilimanjaro Safaris as it's just animal viewing with extra steps) so to see both teams keep it around in one way or another was great to see. Anyway, tangent over.

The Boneyard update is great! I've always enjoyed The Boneyard and am glad to see that it survived. There's not too much to say here, it's a fun play area and you guys did well with it. I also do like the references to Chester and Hester as they are such a classic part of Animal Kingdom lore (even if their amusement park sucks).

As for Dinosaur!, YES YES YES to feathered dinos! Feathered dinos don't get enough love because the reptilian look of them made popular by every movie ever is too good to pass up on. However, if we're taking a scientific look at dinosaurs, feathers must be present. As for the rest of the ride, as you said, not much as changed, so I really enjoyed it.

Shops and Dining
There's not too much to say here, you guys made some fun sounding restaurants. I'd definitely eat in the Showcase Room and I feel like Lost Valley Treasures would be a lot of fun too. As for shopping, I know you guys added in the shops after the attractions, but I think they either should've been on this page or just make this a dining page. Minor nitpick though.

Extras
Alright, so this is where this round's Power Play is featured, so, as the resident animal guy of the forums (someone challenge me for that title, I dare you) I was super excited to see what both teams pulled out.

But before we get there, let's talk about the improved exhibits. I really liked your storyline on why these animals are featured, as they're all connected to dinosaurs in some way. The American Crocodile exhibit redesign is something I'd love to see in real life, and the fact that you didn't change the Stork and Tortoise enclosure makes sense because it's already so well designed. (Also, another tangent, THANK YOU to both teams for encluding the scientific names of all the animals. It's a minor touch that makes me giddy to see people took the time to just google it.)

As for the Power Play, you guys chose two different animals, The Shoebill, one of the collest birds I've ever seen. It's an animal rarely kept in captivity so would make an interesting but still obtainable animal in Animal Kingdom. I also like that you used the old crocodile enclosure as this exhibit as that's something very realistic for zoos changing around their collection. Reduse, Reuse, Recycle am I right?

However, the animal I think you guys were most excited about is The Murder Turkey (Cassowary). I've worked with Cassowaries for 4 years now and they're the most terrifying animal I've ever had to get near, and for that reason, I'm so glad you guys chose them. I also like the touches of switching out the pair throughout the day and a breeding program. That's something very realistic and really great you guys included.

Both teams did a great job with the Power Play so congrats there!

Ducktales
So this is the area I had the biggest problem with. I could tell you guys were excited about including Ducktales in here, but, in my honest opinion, it just doesn't fit, and you guys really didn't convince me that it does.

With so much realism with dinosaur studies, dinosaur connection to modern day animals, etc. Scrooge and Co. just don't do it for me. I understand wanting to include a family attraction (something you guys did amazing with in the last bit I'll talk about in a minute) but this one, thematically, just doesn't fit in my opinion.

I mean, the Donald's Dino Bash event trying to spice up Dinoland right now in real life doesn't fit already, and, while I love Ducktales and those characters, their inclusion really takes away from the realism of the land.

I also wanted to mention that it took me a minute to figure out what your ride was supposed to be. I guess it's supposed to be like Dinosaur! and Indiana Jones, but at no point do you guys put down what type of attraction this is, so it makes for a confusing ride. Is it a dark ride? An EMV? a coaster? In future rounds, make sure to at least mention the type of attraction you're writing about.

That being said, the character experiences are fun and if you're going to have Ducktales present, it's nice to have some of the more obscure characters showing up sometimes.

The Journey Below
I honestly do not know what to say with this attraction. It stole my heart.

Everything about this attraction, from it being a family dark ride, to it being interactive with the flashlights, to the animatronics to the detailed pre-show and Jellyfish tanks (you guys really know how to get me don't you) it's all so well written.

I also love that you guys did a major attraction set in an era that isn't the Mesozoic. We gave both teams the option to tackle Cambrian, Pre-Cambrian, and Pleistocene, but Team Green is the only one who took advantage of it, and as a major fan of the Cambrian age, this ride just crushed it. Amazing job on this attraction!

Final Thoughts
Overall, you guys had some really high points, and some pretty low points, so it made for a very balanced presentation. I also wanted to say great job on the website. I always love seeing the different types of presentation format teams use, and while I wouldn't rely on any one specific format since you guys don't know the rest of our plans *Wink Wonk* I do think it worked really well.

Overall, great job Team Green!

PerGron

PerGron's Reviews

So first thing's first, I have to say, I was scared for Team Red this round. For a long while, there was little to no communication, going on for like 2 or 3 days continuously. When I'd check the PMs and see Team Green on page 5 or 6 and Team Red only on page 2, I was very worried and we almost discussed mixing up teams next round.

That being said, in a last minute hail mary, the final 24 hours of the round saw Team Red crushing it, especially with @Tux pulling out as the MVP of the round for Team Red. Seeing how you all came together in a solid presentation in the end, I was very glad to see it happen. Now, let's get into the review.

Land Theme and Story
So both Team Red and Team Green were very balanced in the way both crushed different aspects of the presentations. One aspect Team Red destroyed was the theme and backstory. You guys wrote uDp a whole history for the land and gave everything a purpose. Including the valley as a part of a long lost civilization is a great idea, and while referencing the organization who shall not be named is a dangerous idea in this comp (they are after us after all), it did fit in with their storyline. Also, Mount Rhode is a great idea to immortalize one of the best imagineers the company has ever seen.

Setting the Valley in South America is an inspired choice, but I feel like at times, you guys focused too much on the South America aspect and not enough on the Dinosaur and Extinction aspect, something I'll talk about more in depth in a bit. I feel like you guys wanted to design a South America land and took this as your opportunity to do so, while losing parts of the land that were what the prompt is asking for. Did it hurt the project that much? Not as a whole, but we'll have to see in the final rundown.

Countdown to Eruption
Both teams played with the idea of keeping Dinosaur! very similar to how it is, and I appreciate that. I also appreciate keeping Dr. Grant Seeker (although unfortunately the actor has since passed away, but I won't let that hurt your ideas so don't worry) as he's such a fun character.

Including the Sauropod and also keeping the carnotaurus as reference to the original attraction is a great idea and I really enjoyed the read through this attraction.

The Excavators
First off, may I say, your choices for dinosaurs in this attraction are very inspired. It's so easy to go Triceratops, T-Rex, Stegosaurus, Velociraptor, etc. you guys went with some dinosaurs even I had to look up. When you just whip out Oryctodromeus and I have to google what that is, you guys win brownie points here.

That being said, focusing a roller coaster on telling a story by way of cave painting is one I'm having trouble seeing working. I feel like to have a story told by cave painting, it needs to be a slower moving attraction so people can follow around.

I also wanted to comment on the AA Llamas and Cougar. Bits like this is what I mean by you guys focusing too much on South America and not enough on Dinosaurs. Having live animals is fine, but these bits just seem off, like they don't fit within what you guys are shooting for.

Jungle Journeys
So as much as I hate to admit it, this is the attraction that caused the most issues for me. While I'd love for Jaguars and the likes to be present in DAK, I feel like their inclusion takes away from the dinosaurs, and that was the main point of the prompt.

It may just be me, but the concept feels like you included the dinosaurs here because you had to, and you'd rather have done a jungle boat tour through the amazon with south american animals. While I appreciate the inclusion of these animals, it just doesn't fit, as much as it hurts to say it.

Pteranodon Pass
A solid spinner attraction. It's not the most inspired idea ever to have a spinner based on pteranodons, I've seen them at a local dinosaur amusement park, but that being said, for a flat ride, it definitely fits and is much better than flying on triceratops???

The Boneyard & El Arbusto Rancho
And on this episode of "How to Get PerGronStudio on your side" we see Team Red pulling out Hoatzins, Fiji Crested Iguanas, and Mary River Turtles.

But honestly, seeing a mixture of live animal exhibits and dinosaur animatronics is an interesting combo. With Team Green, they clearly distinguished their walking trail for dinos as a separate part from the animal trails. Here, I like seeing the inclusion of multiple reptiles and birds as part of researching dinosaurs (I also just love reptiles and birds. Oh and mammals. And fish. And invertebrates.)

As for the boneyard, same as I said to Team Green, you guys did a good job changing it up to fit your theme. Nothing really else to say about it though.

Power Play
Okay, so coming up with such a great backstory to including California Condors is such a great idea. I'd talk more about that, but instead I'd rather talk about your real world terms bit.

Including a breeding program on the East Coast for a critically endangered species that, so far, is only being bred in California is a great idea. While Florida is a bit warm and wet for Condors naturally, your Condor-Minium idea provides a solid solution to this problem.

I also adore that the breeding pairs are not kept on exhibit. This really gives some realism to your proposal as having such a rare animal breeding on exhibit, so many factors could cause the death or destruction of eggs and chicks thanks to stress from the birds being around people while nesting.

Final Thoughts
So, just like Team Green, you guys had some really high points, and some pretty low points. Your backstory and Power Play crushed it, but your attractions left something to be desired, especially when it came to the South America vs Dinoland theme I found myself stuck in.

I'd still like to commend such a strong project and great teamwork and you turned in a solid proposal here. Either way, both teams should be very proud of your work! I look forward to seeing all of the future proposals!​

Outbound

Original Poster

What a fun round! I myself switched my opinion back and forth as I read each project.

Power Play Victor
The winner of the power play showed great initiative. Not only was the enclosure better, but they included a Critically Endangered Species which our expert animal guy says earns them "brownie points".

And now... the moment you've all been waiting for...

Round Victor

Although Team Red gave it their all in the final hour, it was Green that pulled off the win. Although Green's project had some weak points, its great strengths ultimately pulled it ahead... for now.

trophygreen-png.390143

Remember, the team with the most wins will get to select one of their own to join the finalists! There are still six more rounds to go!

1 - 0
_95867861_e4460557-brachiosaurus_dinosaurs-spl.jpg

Thanks for visiting the Animal Kingdom! We hope to see ya real soon.

Last edited:

Outbound

Original Poster
_ewqFAqmcN0KkspUC42Qpnwzhs3M6vS6yXMgCOwZung6M9TNdfpieqp0Re36G5karymlWdlGeN4If3HTxKD_rg0LbBK7JXZ99AMecPjT6ZqNgBS7UAJif13Pv_8WY25pwtbWmFo

oBG5k9vkZpN72eWb7dpsiRD7Ybw1Y8O0SNXMQwb1OFdehOH7YHsG3swo-b7pBwlywco10K6dGgS6jAOPF0iBKfe9EhJ7zAj8zIzy0IscCuM6FBTcFX6ajacWEV1tx-n8g38bIQU

Our next stop is Disney Springs, the beating heart of Disney World. Though Disney Springs may know no coasters, it is filled with lively adventures to be had.

Disney Springs is divided into four themed shopping districts. These themes are subtle, just enough to make each area feel distinct. The Marketplace is American Craftsmen, the Landing themed to a maritime port, Town Center utilizes Spanish Revival architecture, and the West Side the 1950’s development boom.

This round, teams will design a fifth shopping district for Disney Springs.
- The proposal may include rides, but remember this is primarily a mall.
- Make the transition subtle… don’t make the district a giant demonic Heimlich.
- This scene will be an All For One- Group Based Project. Your whole team will work together to make the project.

This challenge is due in seven days. Tuesday, July 23rd at 12:00 AM WDW Time, or Monday, July 22nd at 9:00 PM Disneyland Time.

Best of luck to both teams!

Outbound

Original Poster

HELLO THERE!

Congratulations to both teams for working so hard. Both have very different themes and I am excited to see the projects completed.

Now as we reach the midpoint of the round, it's time for a Power Play!

The Power Play will force both teams to either add something, omit something, or change something about their project to fit the challenge. Of course, we aren't doing this to mess with your projects, but instead, to keep Imagineers on their toes as you never know when the higher-ups are going to throw something at you.

This round's Power Play tasks teams to design a themed restroom, similar to the Tangled Restrooms in the Magic Kingdom.
Good luck!​

NateD1226

- The Lights District -

Time continues to move forward, and now on our journey through time we are brought into the age of neon. Lights are abound dancing throughout night creating wonderful displays that encouraged the imagination of thousands. This encouragement led to not only the dawn of video games, the era of the night club, and the peak of pop culture icons such as the Muppets. This high energy encouraged new growth within the city of Disney Springs as new establishments began to pop up left and right following these trends forming The Lights District.

Now we welcome you to explore a world full or trendy stores, tasty restaurants, and even live entertainment. Guests are invited to spend countless hours of fun fit for all ages through go-kart courses, mini golf, laser tag, and even escape rooms all of which featuring enticing themes to The Lights District. Even guests just want to sit back and watch a show options include Cirque du Soleil, Broadway caliber shows, a full on stadium housing famous artists and events. To round out the fun guests can stay the night and experience the nightlife of The Lights District through the various clubs that focus on various aspects of music, comedy, and relaxation perfect for all guests.

Overall, The Lights District gives Disney Springs a pizzaz that just infects the soul with joy and fun. We at Team Green invite you to experience The Lights District

Where The Brightness is Stored

Sam Magic

Puerto de Oro

In the early hours of February 15th, 1964, a group of fifteen Cuban families arrived in the small town of Disney Springs. Refugees from the ongoing crisis in Cuba, these families had come to America to begin a new life. Here in Disney Springs they would begin that life.

Beginning as a small fishing village, their neighborhood would eventually grow into a vibrant and important part of Disney Springs as a whole. Gaining the name Puerto de Oro (Golden Port), the neighborhood is the cultural heart of Disney Springs.

architecturaldigest_video-ad-visits-havana-cuba.jpg

Resembling the architecture of Havana, Puerto de Oro is rich in detail, with shops and restaurants selling Cuban food and specialties. At the center of town stand Plaza de Matus, named after the wealthy neighborhood leader, Alejandro Matus, who’s cigar and rum factory would give the neighborhood its name. Directly north of the square is his factory, still working. Fronting the square is are four important buildings to the neighborhood as a whole; Palacio Matus (the home of Alejandro Matus), Teatro Isabella (named after his wife, a former actress), Hemingway Books (a large bookstore named for the notable American author), and finally Hotel de Oro (a new hotel experience). The buildings surround the town square park and provide the backbone for Puerto de Oro.

Palacio de Matus:
Cub_c_palacio_del_valle.jpg
Inspired by the Palacio de Valle in Cienfuegos, the mansion is massive and gorgeous. Inside guests will find a rich art collection and a new, Cuban spin on the Adventurer’s Club. Alejandro Matus became a member of S.E.A. shortly after his factory became successful in 1971. Acting as host, Alejandro ensures an evening of fun for those over 21. Bringing back many of the traditions of the original A.C., Palacio de Matus adds a new Cuban flair in its menu (plenty of rum and Cuban food) and in its music/performances. The greatest performance of the night however comes from Alejandro’s stunning wife Isabella who brings the house down with her performance of a new original song, “Te amo Cuba”, a hauntingly beautiful ballad dedicated to her motherland.

Teatro Isabella:

Set in a gorgeous Spanish modernist theater building (the former Cirque-de-Solei building), Teatro Isabella plays host to a family friendly dinning experience. Similar to the Hoopty-Doo-Revue, the show inside instead celebrates the music and dances of Cuba. Hosted by a collection of Isabella’s “handpicked” performers, it is an exclusive and intensely entertaining cast. Throughout dinner they will perform for guests and interact with them, bringing to life the history and culture of Cuba.

Hemingway Books:
0d52a712-6056-458f-a164-21fa7a1f6157.c10.jpg
Inside of an overgrown Caribbean styled bungalow is home to Hemingway Books. Started by Hemingway’s biggest Cuban fan, the bookstore is the largest bookstore on Disney property and features thousands of titles. Also inside guests will find reading rooms, a Starbucks café, and classroom space for special writing classes. Guests and locals alike can register to take writing classes in the book store during their stay in Disney World; learning from the best they will be able to unleash the storyteller within them.

Hotel de Oro:
Founded by Alejandro’s Tia Josefina Matus, the hotel is modeled after the one her family ran in Madrid (Josefina immigrated to Puerto de Oro from Francoist Spain in 1965). With classic Spanish colonial design, the hotel is similarly integrated into the neighborhood as Hotel Miracosta in Disney Sea. With over 600 rooms and 300 DVC Suites, the hotel celebrates the culture and art of Madrid. From Pablo Picasso (a friend of Josefina’s), to the artwork of Gaudi, Hotel de Oro is a truly lavish experience for its guests.

Matus Rum and Cigar Factory:
Located along the coast of Puerto de Oro, the Matus Rum and Cigar Factory contains a few fantastic experiences for Disney Springs guests. The first of these will be a new coaster attraction that will take guests through the rum making process. Beginning as a normal factory tour, the ride quickly digresses into a misadventure that ends up with guests “crashing” through distilled barrels and accidentally igniting an explosion sending them shooting out of the factory and into the lake until arriving safely back into the factory with the fire now dispelled. Additionally, here guests will find a rum and cigar factory and on the upper levels a swanky new restaurant serving elegant Cuban food and rum. Located next to this restaurant will be a smoking room for cigar smoking (this will be proofed so that smoke does not leave the room and impair other non-smoking guest experiences).

Additional Disney Springs Additions:

(transit station)​
Enhancements have also been made to Disney Springs as a whole. The biggest addition is a WEDWay Peoplemover system. Going through the whole of Disney Springs and Puerto de Oro, the system will connect to the new Disney Springs Transportation Hub. Here guests will also be able to disembark from the monorail. A monorail expansion will be made connecting Disney Springs to Epcot.

Rifegarth

The next best thing to the land of tomorrow.

When global warming, pollution, and overexpansion started to quickly become a problem to the world of tomorrow, the city of Rifegarth was made. It was made out of recycled plastics (This is also true in reality) and was made to be as minimalistic as possible as to reduce footprints. Most 'homes' (Read: Venues) are equipped with solar panels and are overgrown with flora. Fauna is frequent as well since they don't have to really worry about much but basic survival instead of why their families are dying after taking a sip from the ominously scented pools of liquid that is what is left of their former water sources.

The city is often renown for it's tightness in general that allows for business to make more business and it keeps the demand coming and the same goes for supply. Like most cities, it never truly sleeps, with it's vibrant lights and colorful fauna. Said fauna is sometimes selectively bred for it's vibrancy and often warped using tactics to control growth. Water is pumped from the ocean, cleansed of its waste and distilled. Then the water is split into different uses. Some of it is for drinking, some is used for energy, and others are spouted throughout the city through artificial waterfalls, rivers, and lakes. Cars and the likes are now ditched in favor of Peoplemovers and monorails.

Now part of the areas that are a part of the county of 'Disney springs', you can visit said city and witness it's beauty in person. The world truly is yours.

Uncle Orville's Private Restrooms

9b411d434e3e47c40c04e17fda46ffb3.jpg
interior3-jpg.391469

In a quaint corner sits Uncle Orville's Private Restrooms. Inspired by the Carousel of Progress character, who was always looking for 'privacy' in the house, these naturalistic themed bathrooms offer an inspired location for a quick pit stop during your visit to Disney Springs. fitted with 20 stalls for men and women each, as well as an interior family restroom, guests will have the comfort and cleanliness of home in the middle of the Springs metropolis.

Fitted with greenery and shrubbery throughout, the restroom itself is decoratively themed for all the seasons and occasions throughout the year as well, including Valentine's Day, 4th of July, Halloween, and Christmas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This completes Team Red's submission

Last edited:

Outbound

Original Poster
Outbound's Reviews
zPwMcL82zBmZdbzvcvy5VXtdF_HRKp8bx3xfU792ZNAp2a5DWTGUxf9rcTZ3SI7qjk838pQVu4q1UHiTOPkY4GilFujfCeLLPgN5m2LiM_E8ufVa0ncdqRefIrFFV6QFtvoPt9oC

From the moment I saw the custom green “neon” intro artwork, I knew I was in for a treat. First off, I adore the retro “Miami Vice” aesthetic the moment your team brought it up. It gives the land such a cool feel, I wish something like this happened to actual Disney Springs. From the opening description on the forum post (leading into the website) I could tell that you have addressed your mistakes from last round and improved. Your website is even better than last time.

The crazy thing about Team Green is how active everyone is. There isn’t anyone on this team that hasn’t put something great into this project. I mean, you guys had a rough-draft map on the first day. My one suggestion is to not decide on a theme so quickly, because you might completely look over an even better idea. I’ll return to that topic in the Team Red review.

General
Your map is great, although I have a few minor nitpicks on certain locations (the quiet Alcove next to the Sports Stadium). I imagine the green area is blocked off from public view with facade?

The Muppet Radio Show is a fantastic idea! It adds a ton of character to the district as a whole. I also appreciate how you separated the day description from the night. The night-life sounds awesome in this area.

Concerning the PowerPlay, I love how creative you took this! You really went above and beyond with the design. Video game urinals might be a tad unrealistic even for a “quality” bathroom, but at the same time, I’m really happy you included it just so I now know it exists. :p

Stores
All these stores fit the Lights District like Cinderella's shoe. They definitely deserve to be here. But...

The Lights District risks turning the mall into a pure entertainment complex. Disney Springs has always dabbled in this, but the Lights District goes a bit overboard in this regard. I’d suggest giving some space for well-known franchises to be used, tying losing into the Lights / Retro theme. Morphe is the only store not owned by Disney. And the Tesla, but I don’t think the average consumer is buying a Tesla on their trip to the Lights District. So maybe something simple, such as an Orlando-centered fashion store (similar to what you did with the Pub-Sub Hub).

One other thing I’d like to mention, I really like how you worked to appeal to Millennial despite this being a Retro Area. This feels like a place both the old and new will enjoy.

Restaurants
Wow. Not only did you create six detailed restaurants, but everyone has a detailed menu. I am very impressed. The custom-made menus have great hidden pieces… the Drink from the Other Side, etc. I love all of them… although I’m unsure about Johnny Rockets.

I get what you mean about 50’s nostalgia in the 80’s, but it gets a tad confusing when you have the district based off 80’s nostalgia, and use 50’s nostalgia. Nostalgia-ception? I think Johnny Rockets may be better suited for the “50’s area” not far away.

But beyond that, amazing job on the Restaurants! :)

Clubs
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one! Each club is so distinct from the other. Even on certain days, a club will be a different experience. This adds a whole new layer to the district. I especially like the Latin American club. Also, the inclusion of the “masked singer”. I’ve never seen the show, but I’ve seen enough ads to understand the concept and think it would perfect in a Disney setting! For the family-friendly game, would the “masked singer” be Disney Characters, like Goofy?

Attractions
Alrighty… I have a confession to make. I’ve never seen Tron, classic or reboot. But from the pictures I have seen, it has a really cool, retro aesthetic that works perfectly for the theme established. And a DJ at the center of laser tag is just awesome.

The Muppets mini-golf course is a really fun idea. I love the creativity in each course, it totally captures Gonzo’s antics! 😄

Then there's Disney’s Dreamscapes. @tcool123...I don’t know if I should applaud you or cower in fear. You went into precise detail on every scenario! It made me feel as if I were playing the game, rocket raccoon jokes and all. Even the seasonal parts, you just had to make Kingsman and Nightmare Before Christmas. All 5 escape rooms have a slightly different trick to them, and Kingsman, in particular, sounds very challenging. I am a bit concerned if so many escape rooms are that realistic- but I’m not going to knock points off for putting in the extra effort. Spectacular job.

The Sugar Rush Raceway is another smart inclusion, although it might be too much. I think you should have decided on just 2-3 of these attractions, and used the space to build more shops and dining. But despite my initial fears, you’ve managed to get a race-track indoors smartly using advanced technology. This sounds like a really fun experience, and even though it starts a film released in 2013, I think it fits the retro theme like a glove.

Entertainment
I have a few questions.

How exactly does a sports stadium fit into Disney Springs? I think this may be stretching it. Does the stadium connect up with facades? The Distadium came up on the first day as a “cool idea” and I do agree it is cool, but I don’t think it is well executed in the context of the rest of the land. In fact, I worry adding it might make the Springs to crowded on sporting events and concert nights.

The community theater, on the other hand, compliments the Lights District. I think the Distadium might just be too much for this expansion.

Miscellaneous
It is great to see such thought put into the more mediocre areas, like parking lots and transportation. Good job.

Conclusion
As a whole… I love it. Although it could use more standard shops and restaurants, this is a mistake almost every Imagineering Project makes, so don’t take it too hard. The attractions and entertainment got a bit out of hand, but they are all so good it is hard to dislike them. The clubs are the highlight for me. Their inclusion is superb. Overall… I want to go to the Lights District NOW!

And thanks for the reading music. I nearly finished.. got to an hour and 40 minutes just reading and typing this.​

Outbound

Original Poster
WKqAY_GT9FQQPSmuR-k-pymSwoPs2d24Jy9HO_29ZkBWtqNIB4mnRDBHeSN-LYo9yp_NCSKvkYDT_7qmO8BYfn0S3vz2YjeOswPb4w8k65f9CRLMdUZFf8sxVUfKcwtkNLg4gDwr

This round was the @Sam4D23 / @spacemt354 / @Tux / @D Hindley show. Which is a shame, for that’s only just over half the team. Remember, real life is always more important from this game, BUT please take a short while to tell your team you won’t be active for the rest of the round like @Evilgidgit did. This will give them time to prepare for more than usual.

The brainstorming thread was slow… in the future, try to reply to each other all the time. Check on mobile if you have a little notification up on the top right, and then read that post and reply to it. It could be as simple as “I love this!” to let people know the general feeling when choosing an idea.

It felt like the exact opposite of Team Green. In their review, I mentioned how they may have chosen a theme too early. But for this round, it didn’t bite them in the backs. I think for Team Red, you spent way too long working on the theme, and it bit you in the back. The Cuban Immigrant theme was decided, but then New Urbanism got thrown in the running, and then Futurism. Instead of choosing one, you opted with two at once. And I think this was your biggest mistake.

I see your logic. Both an immigrant district and a future district are great concepts. While not as “cool” to me as the Lights District, I’d argue they each have more merit than Team Green’s idea because celebrating both immigration and the future are far more important than 80s nostalgia. Had you put in great detail into each of these lands, exploring all the various nooks and crannies like Team Green did to the Lights District, it would have been spectacular. The equivalent of two projects in one.

And yet, that’s not quite what happened. You were already 3 short of Team Green and with twice as large a project, so of course, this is not as detailed. I think that is where this project falters, because, for all the great ideas, they are generalizations, discussions of things you can do in the districts, but never to the specifics of a (beautiful) map with every building labeled.

Puerto de Oro
I do love this area. It sorta feels like the Cuban World Showcase but supersized. You’ve even crafted a custom backstory that fits within the land as a whole. It is a great start.

Bringing back the Adventurer’s Club is a smart idea, especially in such a stylish way. But please try to avoid alerting SEA of our location. :)

Teatro Isabella sounds like an awesome dining experience that really connects with Cuba. You’ve stayed very connected to the central theme of this area, but you’ve also managed to branch out with a Starbucks. This might sound like a small thing but I do appreciate the subtle realism but including franchise stores in the Springs. The book experience is another great idea!

Attaching a Hotel to the expansion is another bold move, but in this case, it works.

The Cigar Factory has me divided. On one hand, Cuba is well known for its cigars. I like how you’ve made it an educational experience. But I’m also not sure if Disney should be strongly supporting cigar use. It could stir up a lot of controversies.

Overall, I do like everything described but am left wanting so much more. This was entirely @Sam4D23 ‘s work, and I think had the Team worked more unified, cutting Rifegarth and assigning everyone to flesh out the Cuban land by putting in roughly this much work, we would have had a strong contender.

The PeopleMover
This is another one of “Team Red’s Crazy Ideas”. The PeopleMover works great for Rifegarth, but I’m unsure about the rest of the zones. Would it contrast with the Cuban or American Craftsmen settings? Would it even fit without becoming annoying and bulky for guests eating outdoors? Maybe it could fit into Puerto de Oro designed with the PeopleMover in mind, using a cover or whatever to make it less obvious. But I think the old zones would be too drastic a change.

Rifegarth
I really like the environmentalism backstory. And... that’s about all there is here. 😕

Just like Puerto de Oro, had you focused purely on Rifegarth (deciding within Days 2-3) I believe this would have been a great project. The idea is there, all you needed was the execution.

PowerPlay
These look like nice bathrooms! The private stalls are a smart way to separate them from your traditional background, and fit with the Uncle Orville theme!

All things considered, you could have done better this round. But don’t be sad, we’ve still got a good ¾ of the competition left to go! 😉

Outbound

Original Poster

I enjoyed this round's themes even more than the last round. I look forward to seeing what Team Green and Red have in store for Prompts 3-7!

Power Play Victor
The winner of the power play came up with a solid idea. And then they added some more to it, and then some more, and before long they'd created the most entertaining bathroom imaginable!

And now... the moment you've all been waiting for...

Round Victor

Team Green worked together under a cohesive vision and executed a really lit project. I'm so sorry pun police.

trophygreen-png.390143

Remember, the team with the most wins will get to select one of their own to join the finalists! There are still six more rounds to go!

2 - 0

Thanks for visiting Disney Springs! We hope to see ya real soon.

Last edited:

Outbound

Original Poster
W8Eah7QaxpLym-TbNVYugg0wkgF8yTGkxXnTf6y4vSmSrA2aGUDNfB8k29HD-OqeKPSVTOYOk6mbmZ12KxE2CMvZL01q61oANZi_Hi4QcvYQx294g5MC2r6UBCwv73qrMVLnfM4

AvxAjQL-VEuL8kYuqSqApdLpnHKviNq_M1sgwKzNYPchhQNDNu_zPyy8UEFhX2pv8WKy1SdF7xTQLAC_jY-_PpGHAh-1Z2ltUw6PUyOW60SsCwlC38V4f87nnU3ZDDwlO4yI394

Our third- and final for Act One- stop is at EPCOT. Welcome to the World Showcase! ¡Bienvenido al Escaparate mundial! Velkommen til verdensutstillingen! Huānyíng lái dào shìjiè biǎoyǎn! Willkommen zur Weltausstellung! Benvenuto allo spettacolo mondiale! Sekai shō e yōkoso! Marhabaan bikum fi almaerid alealamii! Bienvenue à l'exposition mondiale! Dilly dilly chap chap! Maple syrup.

This week you’ll be adding to that list. Everyone knows about future world showcase pavilions. Rumor has it a lot of countries could one day join the ranks in the World Showcase. But we aren’t focusing on them today.

This round, individual contestants will create pavilions for countries that have not yet been rumored.
- This scene will be a One for All: Individual-Based Project. There will be this one prompt that all players will have to submit their own individual projects. Team brainstorming threads will still be sent out for this round and players are encouraged to help each other and brainstorm and talk about the project with their team!
- Imagine you are all part of a bigger expansion for the resort. Don’t use space your teammates are using!
- To find if your country of choice has been rumored, simply search “____ world showcase rumors”. If nothing comes up, you are good to go! Tip, lesser-known countries get fewer rumors.
- As long as it is a “country”, realism is out the window! Go out of your comfort zone and show us the most obscure country imaginable! Maybe you'll teach the judges some world culture.
- You do not have to participate in this challenge, but it will not help your team earn points.

Expansion plots. Don't build on your teammate's pavilion!

In most individual rounds, the winner would receive a Golden Ticket to the Finale. However, for our first individual round, this will not be the case. This is a practice round. Future solo rounds will give this reward to first prize.

This challenge is due in seven days. Wednesday, July 31st at 12:00 AM WDW Time, or Tuesday, July 30th at 9:00 PM Disneyland Time.

Best of luck to both teams!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom