Questions regarding air travel with little ones.

draybook

Original Poster
Ok, so our boys will be 3 and almost 2 when we fly in September. Obviously, we had to purchase a ticket for the soon to be 3 year old(this Friday). I'm trying to figure out if we'll need a carseat for him in the seat that was purchased. He's pretty close to 40 pounds and tall for his age. Most people think he's 4 if not 5. We're flying with Southwest. I'd call them but honestly I'm anti-social enough that I'd rather ask on the web than talk to some stranger. Also, does anyone who flies with SW know what the procedure is as far as strollers? We're assuming that we'll be able to take them on the plane but not exactly in the carry on way. They're little foldable strollers that are quite compact but about 40-48 inches in length. This will be our first time flying with littles so it should be interesting. We've read that suckers are a good way to keep them calm when the air pressure starts messing with their eardrums. Plus, we've got mini-tablets for them to stay entertainedduring the flight. Memphis to Orlando is less than 2 hours so we should be good. Fingers crossed. Any tips or ideas from you guys? Thanks!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I believe that if a child requires a carseat in a car they do on a plane but im not 100% sure.

I do know that you will have to gate check your stroller. You will just go to the service desk at the gate and they will tag it. You will then leave it at the bottom of the ramp near the plane door. They will pit it in under plane baggage compartment then get it out for you when you land.

Note that family boarding on SW is between A group and B group. You do not pre board.

draybook

Original Poster
I believe that if a child requires a carseat in a car they do on a plane but im not 100% sure.

I do know that you will have to gate check your stroller. You will just go to the service desk at the gate and they will tag it. You will then leave it at the bottom of the ramp near the plane door. They will pit it in under plane baggage compartment then get it out for you when you land.

Note that family boarding on SW is between A group and B group. You do not pre board.

Awesome. We aren't doing family boarding, we spent the extra on Early Bird. We didn't want to chance not being able to sit together, especially as a party of 6 total. Now I just have to make sure his carseat is FAA approved.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Strollers can be gate checked for free.

He does not need a car seat.
If you'd like to use one you have to make sure it is approved for flying.
It should have a sticker on it indicating that it is FAA approved.
Its definitely safer and he wouldn't be able to get out of it like he possibly could with a regular seat belt but wheather you use a car seat or not is totally up to you.

Also the under 2 would be more safe in a seat than on your lap and you do have to be sure you can make him stay seated on your lap at all times but again wheather you purchase a ticket for him or no is totally your decision.

RememberWhen

I highly recommend cares harnesses for the little ones. It holds them in their seats a bit more than just the seat belt.
I’d also probably buy a seat for the two year old. Those seats are already tight. I can’t imagine having my two year old in my lap.
Encourage your kids to peek into the cockpit and wave. The crew is usually pretty friendly.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I highly recommend cares harnesses for the little ones. It holds them in their seats a bit more than just the seat belt.
I’d also probably buy a seat for the two year old. Those seats are already tight. I can’t imagine having my two year old in my lap.
Encourage your kids to peek into the cockpit and wave. The crew is usually pretty friendly.
I would have recommended this product but it is a rather pricey investment unless they plan to use it at least a few times.

dreamfinder

Strollers will be left at the end of the ramp when you board. Just get a gate check tag from a gate agent. Car seats are entirely up to you. I would strongly recommend using one, if for no reason other than comfort for the child. Especially if they are used to long trips in the car. Our son would conk out in his car seat on the plane, usually napping for a solid hour or two. Two kids might be interesting, as you would need to sit 2x2, with both car seats next to the window. Yes, you don't need a ticket for the 2yo, but having them crawling on our lap would not be my idea of a fun flight.

Keep in mind, that not only does the car seat need to be FAA approved, but you want one that will fit in the seat. Not all will fit easily, especially if you have a larger car seat. We ended up buying a car seat just for the plane, a Cosco Scenera Next I believe ($40 or so at Walmart, they even have a Disney version). Small enough to easily fit, light enough to not be a pain to carry, and cheap enough to pass on to another family without blinking after 5-6 flights by the time he out grew it.

A sippy of juice or other liquid that they need to work to suck out of the container can help with the ears. Not something that is easy, but one where they actually need to suck to help create the swallowing motion adults can do manually to equalize the pressure.

draybook

Original Poster
Well, he's big for this age(not fat but tall), so we think he might be okay without a seat if he's allowed to fly without one. We aren't too worried about their activity level, as the flight is only about 90 minutes airtime and they can stay busy with tablets/phones/coloring books etc that we'll have on us in a backpack. We really don't want to lug that carseat to the plane but we do have to bring them both obviously for the trip.

ninjaprincesst

Well, he's big for this age(not fat but tall), so we think he might be okay without a seat if he's allowed to fly without one. We aren't too worried about their activity level, as the flight is only about 90 minutes airtime and they can stay busy with tablets/phones/coloring books etc that we'll have on us in a backpack. We really don't want to lug that carseat to the plane but we do have to bring them both obviously for the trip.
Actually car seats are great for cars, but not so great on planes, after doing research when mine was little it seems like on the plane they are actually safer without one, the angle of plane seats means they do not fit well and an incorrect fit is worse than not having a seat.

Weather_Lady

These tips are not entirely germane to your questions, but FWIW:
- Yes, suckers, or even chewy gummy candies, are great for kids to chew on to relieve ear pressure.
- Prepare the kids ahead of time for the flight experience, if it's their first one: (1) what to expect and what to do in the TSA security line; (2) what the flight experience will be like -- the loud roar of the engine, the possibility of "bumpy air," snack and beverage service; (3) flight etiquette (don't yell, don't kick the seat in front of you). We read our kids "The Noisy Airplane," Richard Scarry's "A Day at the Airport," etc. as bedtime stories ahead of time, and it seemed to really help them acclimate.
- On Southwest, having children who are "stroller age" does allow you to take advantage of family boarding (between the A and B groups), so you needn't worry that you won't be able to sit together, regardless of your assigned boarding group. Your stroller(s) will be gate checked.
- If they are at all nervous about flying, a comfort object from home (a favorite stuffed animal) is always nice to have. Also, you might want to bring a simple card game or a new coloring book for them, in case there are any issues with the electronics (batteries die, etc.).

jaklgreen

We never used a car seat for our kids. It just wasn't a thing anyone did back then. They are a year apart and actually just shared a seat when they were little. They had their blankets with them that we tucked around them and seat belted them in. They were as secure as the rest of us with the lap belt. But you know your kids. Mine were pretty well behaved and sat nice and even napped on our plane trips. There is not really anything that you can do to "prepare" a 2 and 3yo for anything. It is up to you to have distractions. Go to the dollar store and buy some new stuff and some special treats and dole them out when they get antsy. Don't forget to save some new stuff for the trip home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom