News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

ImperfectPixie

Oh I know. I just found it funny thinking about the different stuff he did over his career. And then this Mickey hotel. Lol.
Makes you wonder if he didn't come up with horrible designs on purpose...

I was a professional woodcarver for a couple of decades, and this one client was being completely obnoxious and complaining that their project wasn't at the same phase as another, MUCH less complex project that was ordered basically at the same time. They were so rude, arrogant, and demanding that my boss took their $1000, hand-carved sign complete with 3-dimensional banners along the top and bottom and a relief of two skiers coming down a trail in the middle (it even already had 23k gold-leafed letters and was less than a week from completion) over to the band-saw and cut it up into little pieces right in front of them.

I was beside myself when he did that - I'd personally spent a couple of weeks carving and painting that sign - it even had the knit patterns of the skiers' hats on them. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, lol.

wdwjmp239

I hate to single you out in particular, but this kind of attitude does bother me a lot as both a fan and paying customer.

And who are you to tell me that I'm not a paying customer? I've been to Disney World more times than I care to count and I have two kids that have pretty much seen "The World" just as much as I have when I was in my teens and they're not even 10 yet.

There's volumes of work written by people who worked for Walt, extensive documentary footage, a whole internet of articles, interviews and insight by people who were paid to spend their life's work shaping the craft of theme design, perspectives by people who have travelled the world comparing the works (past and present) of Disney and other companies and it's ALL completely ignored because for a number of "fans" literally any new attraction at Disney World is good enough because it's new and therefore fun. And fun things don't need to have that much thought put into them.

Truthfully, it is what it is. If Disney needs to retain and draw in more guests, they'll build new attractions and Disney will put those attractions where they best fit. Once Tron is put in, they'll figure out the aesthetics to make the sight lines work. It'll be OK.

And if you question anything? You're a hater. Not a real fan. An idiot for thinking much about rides made for children who can't have fun. Have a concern about how these projects that cost HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars turn out? Here's a strawman for how that opinion is for dummies. I mean really, anyone who has any criticism is incapable for appreciating what's there and just wants to be mean online. 🙄

Wow! That's news to me. I'm a hater? Ok, then explain to me why I invested in a Disney Vacation Club contract, spend hundreds on runDisney events for me and my family, and are annual passholders. I don't think a "hater" would do that sort of thing. Do you?

This particular rant isn't about the Disney company, or its casual customers, it's about a group of self identified fans who have no interest in anything about the product except its most superficial qualities and how anyone who does is treated by them as an outlier with no respect, DESPITE the whole history and evolution of Disney employees who made the product what it is by caring about its potential. For how expensive this whole endeavor of attraction building is (both for the company and its customers) I do expect the people who have the decision making authority to care about the details and things I, the non-expert, wouldn't think about but make the experience the best it can possibly be.

/rant

The one thing we can agree is on is let the designers do their job. They'll figure it out. If things are messed up temporarily, they'll figure out a way to fix it. Yes, Tron will look weird in its position when it's all built, but 20 years from now, are we really going to remember what things were like before Tron was put in? So, right now we're arguing over something that's not even built yet. Let's see the finished product and then we'll criticize.

Animaniac93-98

Wow! That's news to me. I'm a hater? Ok, then explain to me why I invested in a Disney Vacation Club contract, spend hundreds on runDisney events for me and my family, and are annual passholders. I don't think a "hater" would do that sort of thing. Do you?

You misinterpreted what I said. I was referring to posts that dismiss those who criticize the product as haters, not you personally.

I also don't really care about how much you've spent on Disney, but for me, I expect the best from a company that set the standard and that's willing to spend the kind of money they do. If "yeah, whatever" is the attitude you give something you spend thousands of dollars on and insist up and down your a big fan of, then I have to question your reasoning to participate on a discussion board with people who may have a different opinion than yours.

Celebratr

I think people wouldn’t care about sight lines as much if they knew they were getting a first class attraction. If Disney announced they were plopping TDS Journey in MK, we wouldn’t hear too many complaints; we’d all rationalize it away pretty quick. I thought Tron was fun, rode it a few times; its duration is just fine. It’s nice we’re poaching it from Shanghai. Now if we could gut our Pirates and replace it with Shanghai Pirates, that would be awesome. That ride is life changing.

eddie104

You misinterpreted what I said. I was referring to posts that dismiss those who criticize the product as haters, not you personally.

I also don't really care about how much you've spent on Disney, but for me, I expect the best from a company that set the standard and that's willing to spend the kind of money they do. If "yeah, whatever" is the attitude you give something you spend thousands of dollars on and insist up and down your a big fan of, then I have to question your reasoning to participate on a discussion board with people who may have a different opinion than yours.
Come on guys can we stop the bickering ? Literally this wasn't even an issue a couple pages ago now all of sudden sight lines are everybody's concern.

No Name

Come on guys can we stop the bickering ? Literally this wasn't even an issue a couple pages ago now all of sudden sight lines are everybody's concern.

It was actually an issue since the day they announced it. Also a better word for bickering would be criticizing. This is the, or one of the, most exposed unthemed showbuildings that the company has ever built and they’ve got 50 years and a few billion dollars under their belt. That’s concerning.

eddie104

It was actually an issue since the day they announced it. Also a better word for bickering would be criticizing. This is the, or one of the, most exposed unthemed showbuildings that the company has ever built and they’ve got 50 years and a few billion dollars under their belt. That’s concerning.
I’m talking about the constant attacks not what certain posters feel like is a problem. So yes it is bickering amongst one another over a unfinished project.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I find the argument about site lines amusing since you've always been able to see the backside of the buildings on main street since day one.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen... The Back Side of Main Street!"

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
launch coasters are everywhere now though....im not trying to downplay it i just think i owuld have rather have the theater in MK. or anything else that eats people. coasters tend to have poor capacity.
And a launch coaster needs to be about a minute or two longer in the run than a traditional coaster, since most 2.5-to-3 minute coasters include about a minute or so going up the lift hill.

FerretAfros

And who defends them as good design?
While perhaps not a member of these boards, Foxxy at Passport2Dreams argues quite convincingly that the exposed backside of Main Street not inherently bad design:

In essence, in a carefully designed environment it's acceptable (and even encouraged) to have places where the theme dissolves into nothing, almost like the undefined edges of a dream. Instead of creating sharply-defined borders of what is and isn't a part of the themed world, it implies another layer just out of reach, adding depth and expansiveness to an inherently-limited physical space (like a toned-down version of the "borrowed scenery" philosophy in Japanese gardens)

In an age where WDI details everything to death, gives tortured backstories to each tiny element, and force-feeds all of it to park guests, it's refreshing to think that the original designers gave the audience credit for being able to connect the dots and fill in the blanks themselves. And while there are many such areas in MK where the theme "runs out," they tend to be crafted in such a way that it doesn't attract the eye. Instead it hints at the illusion of another layer, an unseen world beyond the guest-accessible portions of the park

Specifically regarding the backside of Main Street, the path had single-story structures to set an intimate tone for the walkway, and a handful of trees (since removed for the bypass) to distract the eye from the towering wall beyond. Additionally, it was directly opposite Cinderella Castle, which would command the attention of nearly every parkgoer walking by, leaving relatively few who would turn and focus on what was on that side of the path.

That said, that's not the case here. This is the front side of a major attraction, one that will command the attention of guests in the area. And it will have exposed edges popping out from behind the canopy, and the sides will be plainly visible plopped down right next to another iconic structure. This approach to design is not airbrushing the edges of an expansive painting to imply a limitless world; it's putting on a tuxedo t-shirt and saying it got dressed up.

JoeCamel

Did anyone see this yesterday?

The site they reference is one I haven’t heard of at all, so take it with a heavy dose of salt. But it does fit with the suggestions that an over-haul could be on the way.
It is fan fiction from all reports I've seen

Missing20K

perhaps... unless they're wrangling kids, concentrating on their finely tuned itinerary, or already enveloped in the magic 🤩
besides, those folks are already in the boat on ice, so unless they then loop back around and go home, good luck presenting concrete relevancy to the bonus-seekers that approved it

gs certainly won't take a hit, other than to talk somebody off a ledge because they waited three hours for a sixty second ride, but that's candy... long as it's after midday ;)

conditioning for lower standard has been going on for many years, so one would be hard pressed to show how offending the sensibilities of the diminishing few that haven't taken to it, whose opinions are often either suppressed or ignored, can even be considered a risk at this point... maybe a new figment plush and they won't even notice - a disappointing number of people disappointed they haven't just been able to revolve them out already

expecting course correction from disney parks, experiences, and consumer products at this juncture under it's current structure would be ill advised

😞
So much to unpack here.....I just.......
giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom