Spiderman negotiations could bring him back under the creative direction of Marvel.

Matt_Black

I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. From what I heard Fox and Marvel don't play well together.

Yeah, I heard that too. Durn it.

Hey, since Firestar was created to be a fill-in for the then-unavailable Human Torch, maybe they could make a new ice character or pull an existing one from the back issue bins, like Jack Frost!

matt78

Yeah, I heard that too. Durn it.

Hey, since Firestar was created to be a fill-in for the then-unavailable Human Torch, maybe they could make a new ice character or pull an existing one from the back issue bins, like Jack Frost!

Unfortunately I think Firestar is now considered an X-Men or at least a mutant under Fox's control. What if they substitute Daredevil and Black Cat for Iceman and Firestar. I think something like that is the closest we will get to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends for awhile.

Matt_Black

Unfortunately I think Firestar is now considered an X-Men or at least a mutant under Fox's control. What if they substitute Daredevil and Black Cat for Iceman and Firestar. I think something like that is the closest we will get to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends for awhile.

She only had tenuous links to the X-Men at best. She's more strongly associated with the Avengers and New Warriors. Remember, Marvel does have the movie rights to a few mutant characters (Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver, obviously, but also Cloak & Dagger) and from my understanding they can be used as long as they don't use the word "mutant" when explaining their powers.

Also, Black Cat, maybe. But Daredevil is unlikely because of both the Netflix series and because his character in general is unsuitable for fun, light-hearted superheroics with teenagers.

matt78

She only had tenuous links to the X-Men at best. She's more strongly associated with the Avengers and New Warriors. Remember, Marvel does have the movie rights to a few mutant characters (Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver, obviously, but also Cloak & Dagger) and from my understanding they can be used as long as they don't use the word "mutant" when explaining their powers.

Also, Black Cat, maybe. But Daredevil is unlikely because of both the Netflix series and because his character in general is unsuitable for fun, light-hearted superheroics with teenagers.

That's true. Forgot about them being teenagers in that show. What about a couple of the New Warriors?

Matt_Black

Speedball is too much like Spidey. Night Thrasher wouldn't be a good fit. Marvel Boy/ Justice could work, considering his relationship with Firestar. They might be grooming Nova for something given the Nova Corps inclusion in GOTG. Rage? No- his "powers" are actually kind of offensive in retrospect. Speaking of retrospect... HINDSIGHT LAD!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
10450876_10153094817338896_6495948001386466557_n.png

Darkprime

So comic-con next week. Do we think a new long term deal will be announced? I'm hoping a new 6/8 picture deal. Which gives us 2 more trilogies and 2 more team up opportunities (Avengers 5 and 6).

Indy_UK

I read this morning that apparently Far From Home has to pass $1 billion in order for Marvel to have control over the 3rd movie otherwise it goes back solely under Sony

Ripken10

I read this morning that apparently Far From Home has to pass $1 billion in order for Marvel to have control over the 3rd movie otherwise it goes back solely under Sony
While it is still way too early to project exactly where Far From Home will finish, all signs right now point to it racing past the $1 billion mark.

Just a couple examples of why (note it is still too early to tell if these numbers will hold out):

• Homecoming made $880 million worldwide (so $120 million short of 1B

• After 7 days Domestically, Far from Home is just over 20% ahead of Homecoming. If it kept up that pace, it would make $401 million, or over 66 million more than Homecoming

• After 2 weekends in China, Far From Home is just over 58% ahead of Homecoming. If it kept up that pace, it would make $184 million, or over 67 million more than Homecoming

• If both of those numbers held true, from just the US and China alone it would make up for the $120 million that Homecoming was short of $1 billion

• Not all markets have reported official numbers yet, but so far Far From Home in each market is outpacing what Homecoming did, and significantly (in a couple countries enough so that after just 1 weekend it has passed the total box office in that country for Homecoming). On average of the markets reporting, it is over 36% ahead of where Homecoming was.

• If it kept that pace, it would result in nearly $750 million internationally, or $1.146 billion worldwide.

• The smallest increase so far is Turkey, where Far From Home is only just over 11% ahead of Homecoming.

• Several are countries are over 100% (or rather, have over double the box office) ahead of Homecoming right now.
    It will become more clear as more countries report official numbers, and to see where the second weekend drops end up, but with this much of a head start, hard to see it now making that $1B mark.

Wendy Pleakley

None of the Spider-Man movies have grossed over $1 billion. They've actually been pretty consistent in terms of box office. The first Sam Raimi one, if inflation is taken into account, is probably actually more successful than the two latest entries.

I'm not sure why Sony would choose to end their deal with Disney. The new movies are still doing extremely well, and have been better received critically than the three prior.

Is there any downside to being a part of the MCU? They get cross promotion benefits, the ability to use MCU characters, and Disney waives their share of the box office.

Final creative control has always remained with Sony.

Ripken10

None of the Spider-Man movies have grossed over $1 billion. They've actually been pretty consistent in terms of box office. The first Sam Raimi one, if inflation is taken into account, is probably actually more successful than the two latest entries.

I'm not sure why Sony would choose to end their deal with Disney. The new movies are still doing extremely well, and have been better received critically than the three prior.

Is there any downside to being a part of the MCU? They get cross promotion benefits, the ability to use MCU characters, and Disney waives their share of the box office.

Final creative control has always remained with Sony.
Well, this spider-man will be the exception then. After 17 days it is at 850 million worldwide. It will sail past 1 billion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom