So what changes will we see at DHS GE based on DL GE?

drod1985

So since DL's opening we've seen...
  • The potential to control access to the land via boarding groups governed by a virtual queue
  • An effective FP+ free Smuggler's Run queue
  • Transition of Savi's and Oga's to daily online registration an hour before park opening. Savi's and Oga's registrations get you and your party into the land regardless of virtual queue status. Reservation system has worked smoothly.
  • Serious GE merchandise shortages of Kyber Crystals, legacy lightsabers, and a few other items at DL. These began about one week into the reservation period and have not been resolved about 3 weeks later.
  • News of Platinum AP and up previews before August 29th
  • Confirmation that DHS will open at 6am for all from August 29-September 1.
  • Seemingly record low attendance across all of DL/DCA, likely due to pass blockouts and marketing scare tactics
Based on this I'm anticipating...
  • Platinum AP and up previews will act as our substitute for DL's 4 hour preview blocks.
  • On August 29th Access to GE will be capped and the virtual queue will be implemented just like DL
  • On August 29th both Savi's and Oga's will have a similar registration system
  • Merchandise stock could go either way, but I don't think it'll be worse.
  • WDW will encourage and welcome a flood of guests, likely to disastrous crowding for the rest of DHS.
I booked an opening day trip just for the novelty of being able to say I was there on opening day. I'm not expecting to do everything I want to do on day 1. And while I'm still worried about crowding at DHS, it seems as long as I get in GE in the morning the experience in the land will be pretty enjoyable as long as the queue and reservation systems work as well as they have at DL.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Based on this I'm anticipating...
  • Platinum AP and up previews will act as our substitute for DL's 4 hour preview blocks.
  • On August 29th Access to GE will be capped and the virtual queue will be implemented just like DL
  • On August 29th both Savi's and Oga's will have a similar registration system
  • Merchandise stock could go either way, but I don't think it'll be worse.
  • WDW will encourage and welcome a flood of guests, likely to disastrous crowding for the rest of DHS.
Your lips to God's ears!

I booked an opening day trip just for the novelty of being able to say I was there on opening day. I'm not expecting to do everything I want to do on day 1. And while I'm still worried about crowding at DHS, it seems as long as I get in GE in the morning the experience in the land will be pretty enjoyable as long as the queue and reservation systems work as well as they have at DL.

I did the same thing. If they limit the capacity in MGM like they have at DL, it will be amazing!

TrainsOfDisney

I’m out here at DL now. I’m hoping they will see their fault and up the entertainment game.... they need actors in the various areas to make the place feel more alive. They’ve got time to fix the problem out there or they could knee jerk and budget cut things even more. We shall see.

drod1985

I’m out here at DL now. I’m hoping they will see their fault and up the entertainment game.... they need actors in the various areas to make the place feel more alive.

I'm really hoping the streetmosphere takes a step up at DHS too. @marni1971 heard rumbling of possible airmosphere...anything about additional street entertainment and atmosphere?

I also wonder if we'll be treated to a version of the Vi Moradi/Stormtrooper stunt show on top of the speeder garage. I think that was only opening day at DL.

TrainsOfDisney

That garage, along with the other areas that were obviously designed for atmosphere type shows are really depressing and make the land feel lifeless. It’s like walking through an animal trail at DAK and not seeing any animals.... that still makes it a well designed trail, but a lifeless one at that. I mean even Star Tours has life and personality!

rsm

TP2000

As a West Coaster (but as a child I lived in Titusville, so cut me some slack), I can tell you that as we head into mid-summer the opening of Star Wars Land has been not a full-on disaster a la' DCA circa 2001, but it has been a moderate disaster for the park. Once the neckbeard bloggers and over-excited YouTubers who were bribed into giving glowing reviews left in early June, the reviews from actual paying customers for the land overall, and the Falcon ride in particular, have been mediocre and/or underwhelmed.

Disneyland attendance is infamously low, and the park has noticeably short waits this summer. Where is everybody?

TDA's business and operational response to the modest crowd response has been swift and sweeping at Disneyland. CM blockouts lifted, AP discounts offered, Parks Blog and Twitter posts begging people to come to Disneyland "Ahora!", labor cutbacks to entertainment and attractions and operating hours, etc., etc.

And now we have a situation where the headliner E Ticket, long rumored to be facing big problems, won't be opening for five to six more months on either coast. Yikes.

I can easily imagine TDO is trying to change course quickly and learn from TDA's mistakes. Does TDO have time to rush additional entertainment and interactive droids and life into this struggling and dead-feeling land?

TDO has got six more weeks to figure it out and do something different for the DHS clone that will also open with only the Falcon ride.

KingdomofDreams

So from reading other sites/threads it seems the general consensus is that the land as a whole is rather bleak. All beige... no color, no greenery, no music, and not a lot of energy/activity. If this is true, how hard would it be for those issues to be corrected rather quickly? Some artificial greenery where real plantings are not possible or impractical, some pops of color added through different types of fabric and other enhancements, and music. Music is everywhere in the Disney parks and even the resorts. Soundtracks and smells are huge in evoking emotion. The Star Wars soundtracks specifically are intrinsic to the Star Wars experience. I've not been to SW:GE myself so I have no idea if what I've read is accurate, but if it is, it would seem they could correct these issues rather quickly. Because Disney chose to create a land that has no attachment to any of the Star Wars movies, they need to bridge that lack of connection in the hearts and minds of Star Wars fans. The familiar soundtracks would go a long way in accomplishing that.

peter11435

So from reading other sites/threads it seems the general consensus is that the land as a whole is rather bleak. All beige... no color, no greenery, no music, and not a lot of energy/activity. If this is true, how hard would it be for those issues to be corrected rather quickly? Some artificial greenery where real plantings are not possible or impractical, some pops of color added through different types of fabric and other enhancements, and music. Music is everywhere in the Disney parks and even the resorts. Soundtracks and smells are huge in evoking emotion. The Star Wars soundtracks specifically are intrinsic to the Star Wars experience. I've not been to SW:GE myself so I have no idea if what I've read is accurate, but if it is, it would seem they could correct these issues rather quickly. Because Disney chose to create a land that has no attachment to any of the Star Wars movies, they need to bridge that lack of connection in the hearts and minds of Star Wars fans. The familiar soundtracks would go a long way in accomplishing that.
John Williams never actually lives in a galaxy far far away. His music never played on Endor, Tatooine, or Dagobah.

Villains0501

John Williams never actually lives in a galaxy far far away. His music never played on Endor, Tatooine, or Dagobah.

This is such a ridiculous line of thinking. John Williams' film score (one of the most iconic elements of the Star Wars franchise) is forbidden in Star Wars Land, but we're going to bend over backwards to figure out a way to make Coca-Cola canon? No joke - there is now an in-universe explanation for the role Coca-Cola played in the clumsily named First Order-Resistance War. And what about illuminated Exit safety signs and "Made in China" labels on the back of Galaxy's Edge toys? The immersion can never be watertight because none of it is real, and that's ok. It's a film fantasy land in need of a supporting film score.

Villains0501

Disney’s not contractually obligated to play John Williams music throughout the land. They are contractually obligated to serve Coke.

That said, while I’m a fan of the level of immersion I would not mind hearing more Williams score throughout the land.

But that goes to my point about how complete and total "immersion" can never be attained. Pure immersion will always be undone by banalities like corporate contractual obligations or public safety regulations. It pains me that every time I ride Haunted Mansion in WDW without fail, my Doom Buggy breaks down and some poor ride operator has to give a staticky safety spiel over the intercom about "keeping arms and legs inside the ride vehicle at all times" thereby breaking the illusion of the attraction.

Disney knows this, they know that a Westworld-level of immersion is impossible given present technology and regulatory interference. I give them full credit for trying something new and different with this land. I think that's awesome! But I don't think overturning 60+ years of theme park design wisdom regarding place setting music was the right call in this instance. Nor do I think the level of immersion they're aiming for is possible without a significant financial commitment to professional entertainment labor - something they're clearly reluctant to do. And the problem will likely only persist until they figure out a way to recruit Anthony Hopkins to help them build walking, talking robots (who will eventually take over the planet and kill us all).

RobWDW1971

But that goes to my point about how complete and total "immersion" can never be attained. Pure immersion will always be undone by banalities like corporate contractual obligations or public safety regulations. It pains me that every time I ride Haunted Mansion in WDW without fail, my Doom Buggy breaks down and some poor ride operator has to give a staticky safety spiel over the intercom about "keeping arms and legs inside the ride vehicle at all times" thereby breaking the illusion of the attraction.

Disney knows this, they know that a Westworld-level of immersion is impossible given present technology and regulatory interference. I give them full credit for trying something new and different with this land. I think that's awesome! But I don't think overturning 60+ years of theme park design wisdom regarding place setting music was the right call in this instance. Nor do I think the level of immersion they're aiming for is possible without a significant financial commitment to professional entertainment labor - something they're clearly reluctant to do. And the problem will likely only persist until they figure out a way to recruit Anthony Hopkins to help them build walking, talking robots (who will eventually take over the planet and kill us all).

Pretty simple. Ask every guest coming out of SWGE and the two Harry Potter lands about whether or not they felt "immersed" in the story and brand. Won't even be close.

seascape

Pretty simple. Ask every guest coming out of SWGE and the two Harry Potter lands about whether or not they felt "immersed" in the story and brand. Won't even be close.
You are right. Those who love HP will say Universal is more immersive and Star Ward lovers will say Disney is more immersive. As for the truth it is probably that they both are extremely immersive and wonderful to experience. Too many people here will only give credit to one company and not appreciate what every park offers, even Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom