Is new leadership needed at this point?

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I consider nearly all of the Pixar films post Wall-E to be awful. Up is a good movie in the start until it gets into dogs talking with high pitched voices as its main attempt at humor.

I don’t know why everyone called Lasseter the “next Walt”. He never came across that way to me. He is someone who liked toys and was a train enthusiast, but that was it. It is also evident that his big franchise Cars was stolen from the drawing and idea of another Pixar Employee (who was never credited). Besides him pushing to get more money spent on his land based off a franchise he stole, I don’t see his benefit to the parks (unless you count the entertainment value of him drunkenly announcing Pixar Pier).

Perhaps drunken John at the Golden Horseshoe could be the next big show at Disneyland. I can imagine him trying to cop a feel on the can can dancers there as part of the act.

Yawn. None of that hyperbole matters. The point is Disney needs some crazy creative types that can push for big expensive projects that actually matter(ie Carsland). It’s just a bunch of empty suits now.

No Name

I think as far as Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is concerned, there are some imagineers who need to go as well. Leadership gave them a billion dollars for each SWL, which is a ridiculously large sum of money, and they managed to screw it up. Rise of the Resistance should be fantastic but everything else is flawed as you describe. Yes, the franchise mandate, and in this case the new trilogy focus, doesn’t help. But the imagineers focused too much on immersion and forgot to make something appealing. Immersion only works so long as you enjoy what you’re being immersed in.

Bob Iger totally mismanaged Disney Interactive, the video game division of the company, with similar policies that he’s forced upon the parks, and now it’s basically shuttered. He also rearranged the company, merging parks and merchandise into one division because he views them as essentially the same thing... extensions of franchises created for theater and television. Basically the second-rate area of the company. It’s a personal bias which actually hurts business, something Iger has frequently been guilty of. That’s why he needs to go but that’s nothing new.

mickEblu

I forgot about the changes to POTC.

View attachment 389328

850. Poor creative decisions

There were many who opposed changing the POTC auction and were immediately condemned as misogynistic. Still others somewhere in the middle were okay with changing it because perhaps its time had passed...I don't know. I don't think anyone was really happy with what they delivered. Even the Frankensteined scene of pirates chasing the women while that fat guy blabs about the key turned out better than this mess. The voice work is terrible. All I ever hear the robots blabbing about is chickens or something stupid. This is clearly not the best they could come up with. Or is it? If so, I have a huge problem with that. I have no doubt if some real old-school Imagineers were pulled out of retirement to come up with a new scene, we could have ended up with something decent. Perhaps great. Who knows?

Ya this is a great example of how not very thing is Chapeks fault and the imagineers deserve their share of the blame.

Horrible

socalifornian

I think as far as Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is concerned, there are some imagineers who need to go as well. Leadership gave them a billion dollars for each SWL, which is a ridiculously large sum of money, and they managed to screw it up. Rise of the Resistance should be fantastic but everything else is flawed as you describe. Yes, the franchise mandate, and in this case the new trilogy focus, doesn’t help. But the imagineers focused too much on immersion and forgot to make something appealing. Immersion only works so long as you enjoy what you’re being immersed in.

Bob Iger totally mismanaged Disney Interactive, the video game division of the company, with similar policies that he’s forced upon the parks, and now it’s basically shuttered. He also rearranged the company, merging parks and merchandise into one division because he views them as essentially the same thing... extensions of franchises created for theater and television. Basically the second-rate area of the company. It’s a personal bias which actually hurts business, something Iger has frequently been guilty of. That’s why he needs to go but that’s nothing new.
Iger admitted to the video game thing
>>“We’re good at making movies and television shows and theme parks and cruise ships and the like, we’ve just never managed to demonstrate much skill on the publishing side of games,” Iger said in response to a question about Disney’s potential future involvement in video game development.

Then they gave the Star Wars rights to one of the worst game publishers. Star Wars Battlefront II was being accused of promoting childhood gambling weeks before The Last Jedi was released. A lot has changed for the better since then

Nintendo and Square Enix have Marvel games coming out that should be received nicely as well

TrainsOfDisney

We don’t know what imagineering was told when they designed the land. If you were given a large budget but told both lands had to be identical, there could only be 2 attractions, had to be so many shops, and that the attractions had to be interactive... well.... what would you do?

mickEblu

We don’t know what imagineering was told when they designed the land. If you were given a large budget but told both lands had to be identical, there could only be 2 attractions, had to be so many shops, and that the attractions had to be interactive... well.... what would you do?

I would make sure the land was devoid of everything that brings human beings joy.

Mac Tonight

Well, basing the whole land around an actual familiar, recognizable SW location would have been a great start...

RobWDW1971

Ya this is a great example of how not very thing is Chapeks fault and the imagineers deserve their share of the blame.

Horrible

Truly. You want to change the scene? Even though it was a classic, fine, but put in a great new scene! What we got is an embarrassment for everyone involved. I never want to hear anybody try to defend WDI after that or Incredicoaster. Or the last two Imagination pavilions. Don't get me started.

Last edited:

Nirya

>>“We’re good at making movies and television shows and theme parks and cruise ships and the like, we’ve just never managed to demonstrate much skill on the publishing side of games,” Iger said in response to a question about Disney’s potential future involvement in video game development.

Then they gave the Star Wars rights to one of the worst game publishers. Star Wars Battlefront II was being accused of promoting childhood gambling weeks before The Last Jedi was released. A lot has changed for the better since then

Nintendo and Square Enix have Marvel games coming out that should be received nicely as well

The video game front is interesting right now. People I follow in the gaming industry really like what they’ve seen from the new Star Wars game coming out this year, and the Nintendo Marvel game should be good because it’s Ultimate Alliance and those games are good. But the Square Enix Marvel game hasn’t looked nearly as good, from them repeatedly delaying a reveal of the game, to the first actual discussion of it at E3 this year focusing more on the voice actors than the actual gameplay, which isn’t a great sign for a game coming out in the next year.

Disney in video games is extremely lucky that Kingdom Hearts 3 did as well as it did this January.

socalifornian

The video game front is interesting right now. People I follow in the gaming industry really like what they’ve seen from the new Star Wars game coming out this year, and the Nintendo Marvel game should be good because it’s Ultimate Alliance and those games are good. But the Square Enix Marvel game hasn’t looked nearly as good, from them repeatedly delaying a reveal of the game, to the first actual discussion of it at E3 this year focusing more on the voice actors than the actual gameplay, which isn’t a great sign for a game coming out in the next year.

Disney in video games is extremely lucky that Kingdom Hearts 3 did as well as it did this January.
This is true I forgot about that. Classic Square Enix delays. Pretty sure it was originally announced years ago

No Name

Ironically Disney’s last really successful mobile game was Where’s My Water? which was an entirely original game. No preexisting IP until they made a sequel and two spinoffs with Perry and Mickey.

The latter two are no longer available on the App Store. Disney has a history of killing games for many reasons, one being because they realize they aren’t canon to the IP or whatever. They took issue with Tiny Death Star, Angry Birds Star Wars, etc. just like you don’t see Jedi Mickey and Darth Goofy and crew anymore. At a certain point, taking your IP too seriously reduces the enjoyment of it and hurts the profitability of the business. Oh maybe like Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge! But back to my first point...

Their last original mobile game happened to be their last really successful mobile game. Their last original rides happened to be some of their most successful rides. Their last original princess movie happened to be their most successful. Okay you get the point. Bob Iger is killing fun and originality for some manic geeky focus on IP that doesn’t have proven results.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom