Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Bismuth

Judging by the direction things have been going lately. It seems so, sadly.
Gosh, I hope this is speculation and not true anymore. :( Beefing is p much never a good thing especially since it may lead to cherished beloved characters getting thrown out for no good reason. The guests and the guest experience are always the losers and the ones who get the short end of the stick bc of this

RoysCabin

I KNEW it was political infighting! WDI and Team Disney were dead wrong about Figment and Dreamfinder and they seem very spiteful and unwilling to give the people what they want regarding these characters.

Figment once had a male personality. Ron Schneider can tell you that.

Some degenerate at Disney decided to feminize the character, particularly in merchandise- not so much the attraction.

Figment was made to be bratty and obnoxious in another sad twist.

You want your Figment back?
Enjoy!!

Dude, your posts have been really, really creepy. Please cut it out.

Inspired Figment

Dude, your posts have been really, really creepy. Please cut it out.
Agreed... I really don’t understand the weird anti-feminine/ anti-gay conclusion posts he’s making. It’s *really*, *really* bizarre or why he’s accusing me of having an “agenda” all because I made a reference to Pinocchio & Pooh, like that has anything to do with gender or sexuality. Hateful too. Not sure where he’s getting this nonsense about Figment merchandise pushing some kind agenda. Any gender and sexuality can enjoy a Disney character. Not to mention, there’s nothing wrong with showing representation in merchandise. People are people. There’s no need to be so discriminatory and hateful against others simply for being a different gender or having a different sexual orientation.

Figment’s supposed to represent the childlike curiosity, innocence, and creativity in *all* of us, regardless of our gender or sexual identity.

Last edited:

eddie104

Agreed... I really don’t understand the weird anti-feminine/ anti-gay conclusion posts he’s making. It’s *really*, *really* bizarre or why he’s accusing me of having an “agenda” all because I made a reference to Pinocchio & Pooh, like that has anything to do with gender or sexuality. Hateful too. Not sure where he’s getting this nonsense about Figment merchandise pushing some kind agenda. Any gender and sexuality can enjoy a Disney character. Not to mention, there’s nothing wrong with showing representation in merchandise. People are people. There’s no need to be so discriminatory and hateful against others simply for being a different gender or having a different sexual orientation.

Figment’s supposed to represent the childlike curiosity, innocence, and creativity in *all* of us, regardless of our gender or sexual identity.
People on this forum seem to be obsessed with identity politics but in the same breath accuse other people of doing same thing they are doing.

Figments Friend

So yeah.....

How about that Imagination Pavillion, huh...?

Who could have ever foreseen it would be talked about in this type of context come 2019.

Eleven years after the removal of the superior Original incarnation.
Eleven flippin' years of mediocre ' attempts' to try to capture a mere glimmer of what resided there prior to removal.
Back when the Pavilion, as a whole, functioned as a entire cohesive presentation ( JII ride, Image Works, Magic Journeys ).

Back when the Imagination Pavillion was, you know, actually 'imaginative'.

-

Inspired Figment

So yeah.....

Who could have ever foreseen it would be talked about in this type of context come 2019.

Eleven flippin' years of mediocre ' attempts' to try to capture a mere glimmer of what resided there prior to removal.
Back when the Pavilion, as a whole, functioned as a entire cohesive presentation ( JII ride, Image Works, Magic Journeys ).

-
More than 11 years now i’m afraid. It’s now been 19 years sadly since that travesty of a ‘Honey, I Shrunk’ IP ride replaced the original 1983 masterpiece. The current, insulting, mean spirited 2002 band-aid fix version “with Figment” ‘s now lasted 17 years, 1 year longer than the original did in it’s 16 year run. So, SO depressing. 😔

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

That is indeed quite depressing.
Has it really been that long...?
My desire to erase the memory of that horrible ( yet thankfully brief ) period between 1999 and 2001 must be working since I can't recall the correct amount of years since the Original was desecrated.

My goodness.
A far more disturbing reality indeed.

-
Do you think there will be a surprise announcement regarding this pavilion at the D23? It seems like it’s the one area not getting any attention.

RoysCabin

So yeah.....

-

What kind of gets me the most is the feeling that we won't see that kind of seamlessly integrated pavilion experience again. When my family would go to WDW during my childhood my parents always knew that we could go to the Imagination pavilion and spend multiple hours in a place all of us could enjoy; the ride was genuinely fun for everyone, it ran a decent length of time, it was a constant loader so the line was rarely too arduous a wait, the Image Works allowed for a chance for kids to let off some steam and had some genuinely interesting tech for its time, and then heading right down to the Magic Eye theater was the capper on the experience.

In other words, you got a really great narrative (ride --> apply what the ride shows in the Image Works --> experience the ride's thesis in the movie theater), you got a place that appealed to almost everyone, and, at bare minimum, you could have over 2 hours in air conditioning during a humid central Florida day.

Almost none of that is being emphasized now. There's little to no integration between rides and some kind of follow-up experience, which defeats the idea of the pavilion setup; the emphasis we seem to get instead is to finish one ride, get a few minutes in the gift shop, then hurry to the next one. There's far less concern about crowd control: as we get fewer Omnimovers, lose the moving theater shows, etc., we're often getting lower capacity rides, instead, which in turn become shorter experiences once we actually board them.

Figments Friend

What kind of gets me the most is the feeling that we won't see that kind of seamlessly integrated pavilion experience again. When my family would go to WDW during my childhood my parents always knew that we could go to the Imagination pavilion and spend multiple hours in a place all of us could enjoy; the ride was genuinely fun for everyone, it ran a decent length of time, it was a constant loader so the line was rarely too arduous a wait, the Image Works allowed for a chance for kids to let off some steam and had some genuinely interesting tech for its time, and then heading right down to the Magic Eye theater was the capper on the experience.

In other words, you got a really great narrative (ride --> apply what the ride shows in the Image Works --> experience the ride's thesis in the movie theater), you got a place that appealed to almost everyone, and, at bare minimum, you could have over 2 hours in air conditioning during a humid central Florida day.

Almost none of that is being emphasized now. There's little to no integration between rides and some kind of follow-up experience, which defeats the idea of the pavilion setup; the emphasis we seem to get instead is to finish one ride, get a few minutes in the gift shop, then hurry to the next one. There's far less concern about crowd control: as we get fewer Omnimovers, lose the moving theater shows, etc., we're often getting lower capacity rides, instead, which in turn become shorter experiences once we actually board them.

Agree completely.
You 'get it'.
:)

Part of the beauty of EPCOT Center back in the day was exactly what you have touched on .
Each Pavillion was a complete package where the theme or idea being presented was done so on multiple related levels.
Choose any Pavillion in Future World during the heydays and all offered several experiences that together equaled more then the sum of its parts.
Each experience built on what was also present in the same building...and one could indeed spend a hour or more inside exploring the exhibits and various offerings.
Guests would come out and feel they had a enjoyed a full offering of entertainment value, and in many cases also come away with their curiosity perked.
Others left downright inspired, and others still pursued learning more about the topics touched on.
The offerings left impressions, as well as moments of fun or awe.

Today, things are very different.

The Land from that time period (1982 - 1992 ) is a great example.
You had the boat ride giving Guests a very direct and live experience regarding the subject matter, and then a complimentary film touching on another aspect in a more relaxed setting.
Dining offered at the old 'Farmers Market' brought the message even more into focus, as you were now enjoying the 'harvest' of physical crops and future thinking ideas you had just previously experienced.
The seating areas inside the interior of the Pavillion with the sculptured fountain , ceiling murals, lighted table umbrellas, and drifting hot air balloons also 'told the story' of the cycles of the Earth.
Everything had been carefully thought out and designed in a way that each aspect complimented the other gracefully.
It was a entire 'package'.

Today, The Land is pretty much the last remnant of the 'old Pavillion experience' but it is a jumbled mess currently.
Fragmented offerings that are just remotely related to the topic.
The offerings don't compliment each other, and the consistentsy of the Pavilion's 'story' has been compromised and in some cases somewhat ignored.
Now we have a shopping mall styled food court, a flight simulator over 'the world', and the still present boat ride.
Disjointed, 'singular' experiences with a microfiber suggestion of being related to the topic strung together like unmatching beads on a necklace.
The message of how man can harness the Earths bounty and the responsibiltes that entails is pretty much lost now with the exception of the still present 'Living With The Land' Attraction.
One can still spend some time here, but now it's mostly for standing in line for 'Soarin' and not nessesarily enjoying the Pavillion as a 'whole cohesive package'.

The Imagination Pavillion suffers the same issues , but worse in many respects.
It is such a patchwork mismatched skeleton of what exsisted there prior.
Where once there was a beautifully designed flow through all the experiences offered, now it is reduced in scope to just one poorly executed ride experience and a quick exit through empty corridors and the remnants of a defunct photo service kiosk.
The upstairs exploratory play area that used to be housed there is gone and is now a underused space in it's current state, and the tacked on retail spot near the exit door is a afterthought to try to fill the gaping space of nothingness now there.
The entire Pavillion is a mess....and needs a serious redesign inside to remove the multiple walls and added corridors that are gumming up what was once a stunning entrance atrium and charmingly designed interior.

-

Last edited:

TJJohn12

What kind of gets me the most is the feeling that we won't see that kind of seamlessly integrated pavilion experience again. When my family would go to WDW during my childhood my parents always knew that we could go to the Imagination pavilion and spend multiple hours in a place all of us could enjoy... and then heading right down to the Magic Eye theater was the capper on the experience.

As a child, I was deathly afraid of Magic Journeys (during its MK run) and it's melange of coke-dream scenes. It was by no means something the whole family could enjoy. Magic Journeys was pure nightmare fuel of epic proportions.

The rest of the original pavilion? Well designed and integrated thematically. But Magic Journeys was... deeply unsettling.

Bocabear

As a child, I was deathly afraid of Magic Journeys (during its MK run) and it's melange of coke-dream scenes. It was by no means something the whole family could enjoy. Magic Journeys was pure nightmare fuel of epic proportions.

The rest of the original pavilion? Well designed and integrated thematically. But Magic Journeys was... deeply unsettling.
to you perhaps...yes it was odd...but it was supposed to be, but "deeply unsettling" is a bit much...lol
It would be nice if they would develop a 4-D attraction about the origins of Dreamfinder and Figment... and then completely overhaul the ride back to the dream port but with current technology... a 2-part adventure...Add a beautiful meet and greet upstairs, a molecular gastronomy QS, and voila! a perfect complete pavilion...

Bismuth

^^^Love that!!!
I remember the first time I watched Magic Journeys, I had heard the movie's theme song, heard Making Memories, and saw the Dreamfinder Run segment, I thought "aw this must be such a cute, whimsical movie about photography and life experiences!" I was wrong, definitely not what I was expecting LOL! That music tho!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom