Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

eddie104

No, it mostly comes from Disneyland having the better versions of rides (for the most part) basically, they get the better toys.
Well that is debatable at best and your opinion. A lot of people are bias towards DL because it’s Walt original park so sometimes they say outlandish things to prove their point. Maybe I’m bias for WDW because that’s the park I grew up with but I can discern facts from opinions.

pdude81

Well that is debatable at best and your opinion. A lot of people are bias towards DL because it’s Walt original park so sometimes they say outlandish things to prove their point. Maybe I’m bias for WDW because that’s the park I grew up with but I can discern facts from opinions.

pdude81

Sorry, tried to reply and it just posted a quote.

From what I can tell, what people like better comes down to where their home base is. However, it's hard for anyone who's been to both places to deny that there are better versions of some rides in Disneyland. Much better versions. But there are things in Disney World that Disneyland doesn't have and will never have.

It depends on what is most important to you

mikejs78

Premium Member

From what I can tell, what people like better comes down to where their home base is. However, it's hard for anyone who's been to both places to deny that there are better versions of some rides in Disneyland. Much better versions. But there are things in Disney World that Disneyland doesn't have and will never have.

There are also a few rides that are better in Disney World than in Disneyland. Not as many as the reverse, but there are a few. Splash Mountain and Tower of terror before it got re-themed at California Adventure come to mind.

eddie104

Honestly at the end of the day I don’t really care anymore. Both parks pretty much have the same attractions and some are gonna prefer one over the other.

eddie104

There are also a few rides that are better in Disney World than in Disneyland. Not as many as the reverse, but there are a few. Splash Mountain and Tower of terror before it got re-themed at California Adventure come to mind.
Even some Disneylanders have admitted most queues at WDW are better themed than their DL counterparts. Haunted Mansion is another ride people tend to say is better here.

WDW Pro

I do think it’s less embarrassing to delay MMRR than RotR. I had been under the impression that D23 was not possible for DL as some had suggested, but January is laughably bad. At least for once, WDW will get first dibs. We’ve been the ugly stepchild for years.

I had originally expected our entire land right around December 1 until they decided on the split opening, so WDW appears to have stayed on target pretty well.

I have to be really careful about what I say about RotR, as I do know a little more than I did a few days before but don't want to say too much that implicates talkers (and it's super hush-hush right now). That said, one (not all) of the factors in RotR being finished in DHS before DLR is that DHS desperately needs more attractions to hold attendance. Adding a huge new land with potentially large crowds that only adds one ride for a park starving for things to do... well, it is a logistical hurdle for keeping guest satisfaction at acceptable levels. Tie in with that the ride being opened first isn't terribly well received, and you NEED RotR to be open fast. There are other factors as well that I think are covered in this thread.

To be quite honest, looking at the Florida aerials has me biting my nails. There's still a lot of theming to be done. @marni1971 They're not taking any shortcuts with the theming in Florida, are they?

Florida has slightly more theming due to the increased square footage.

Disneyland imagineers were dumbfounded with all the extra space they had to work with and couldn't decide what to do with it.

Well, within half a year, three will open.

That's not what happened at all. The land was designed to go in the new, unnecessary cast parking lot. It was scrapped due to two big reasons, and one small reason. If you look at an old Hollywood Studios aerial photo, you can actually see that the same DLR design for SW:GE can basically be plopped in that space, starting behind Star Tours and connection just north of where the LMA Stadium used to be. That also would have resulted in the original plan of the Star Wars hotel literally being connected to the expansion.

pdude81

That's fair. I definitely preferred The Wider seating on Splash Mountain in Disney World because taking my toddler son was hard and Disneyland being stuck only in the last row. Tower of Terror I also prefer in Disney World but the people in California seem to really dig the music and characters. The other thing I'll say is better in Florida, and much better, is small world. Many I've talked to like the Disneyland version much better but I see it as an embarrassing Flume ride where I can see flaws. In Florida you can see the tracks but at least you can kind of pretend you're in some sort of a lake on a boat. Disneyland shines on Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates, Haunted Mansion holiday. Things that just destroy the other side. Definitely no clear answers

Last edited:

doctornick

Could DL not afford the flying ships? Or is there another reason?

There can be issues with drones lying over crowds so maybe due to the compactness of DL, there isn't room for them to fly safely? Also, I think there are limitations that DL has regarding noise pollution, though I doubt these would be so loud as to be an issue there

drod1985

Disneyland overall may be more compact, but each Galaxy's Edge is almost exactly the same in terms of size. So that shouldn't be a factor as to why DL won't be getting drones while DHS does.

No Name

I sincerely doubt most people even consider this.

In reality it fits fine in DHS. Less so in DL.

Huh? The majority of Cars Land and Pandora marketing was angled this way. Doesn’t really matter if guests considered it on their own first because Disney hammered it into them. Both came with major park changes which reflected the new lands and the whole thing was sold to the public as a package. The new DCA, DAK at night, etc. were major marketing campaigns that attracted new attention and got people really excited to come. SWGE in Disneyland doesn’t have that.

Oh and in reality it hardly fits at all in DHS but that I won’t argue today.

Odd, that seems to be the exact opposite of what people who have been there are saying, and that includes people I know first hand. The attendance issues has nothing to do with the land itself, it has everything to do with how TDA over analyzed their crowd concerns and over managed crowd control.

I’m glad you make assertions about a complex problem based on a few people you know who simply visited the land. I know someone who actually works in upper-level management and they’d say your last sentence is not entirely accurate. Not to say they’re correct either. It’s a complex problem.

TrainsOfDisney

That's not what happened at all. The land was designed to go in the new, unnecessary cast parking lot. It was scrapped due to two big reasons, and one small reason. If you look at an old Hollywood Studios aerial photo, you can actually see that the same DLR design for SW:GE can basically be plopped in that space, starting behind Star Tours and connection just north of where the LMA Stadium used to be. That also would have resulted in the original plan of the Star Wars hotel literally being connected to the expansion.

Can you tell us the reasons? I didn’t realize Galaxies Edge was designed to go there, I thought a different Star Wars land design was intended for that space.

I wonder if Star Wars will end up making as much money for them as Osborne Lights did? I mean probably.... but one has to wonder!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Can you tell us the reasons? I didn’t realize Galaxies Edge was designed to go there, I thought a different Star Wars land design was intended for that space.

I wonder if Star Wars will end up making as much money for them as Osborne Lights did? I mean probably.... but one has to wonder!

GE has many more ways to generate direct revenue then Osborne lights, and Osborne only ran a couple months each year, so GE is easily going to bring in more revenue.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have to be really careful about what I say about RotR, as I do know a little more than I did a few days before but don't want to say too much that implicates talkers (and it's super hush-hush right now). That said, one (not all) of the factors in RotR being finished in DHS before DLR is that DHS desperately needs more attractions to hold attendance. Adding a huge new land with potentially large crowds that only adds one ride for a park starving for things to do... well, it is a logistical hurdle for keeping guest satisfaction at acceptable levels. Tie in with that the ride being opened first isn't terribly well received, and you NEED RotR to be open fast. There are other factors as well that I think are covered in this thread.

Florida has slightly more theming due to the increased square footage.

There was a lot of discussion around here about a much less ambitious Star Wars land that was originally going to go around Echo lake, but I wasn't aware that there was ever a plan to put GE anywhere else then where it ended up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom