Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

socalkdg

AP holder at DLR and sad about it opening at WDW first.
Planned vacation at WDW Jan 3-12th, happy it is opening in time for my vacation.

Any chance OSHA issues could be causing a delay at DL?

Flynnwriter

Without both rides open it is not a successful land. Disneyland has been a ghost town since the opening, with feared crowds never materializing. While I love the detail, placemaking and retail of the land, it is ultimately lacking a signature attraction. While Smugglers Run is great, it does not carry the land. It’s a great flight simulator and the sets are amazing - but it’s not enough. Disney should think twice before opening new lands and launching massive advertising campaigns when their product isn’t finished.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Without both rides open it is not a successful land. Disneyland has been a ghost town since the opening, with feared crowds never materializing. While I love the detail, placemaking and retail of the land, it is ultimately lacking a signature attraction. While Smugglers Run is great, it does not carry the land. It’s a great flight simulator and the sets are amazing - but it’s not enough. Disney should think twice before opening new lands and launching massive advertising campaigns when their product isn’t finished.
I think this is a big lesson learned here. If the land has opened with both attractions, I suspect the whole situation would be different right now. With the primary RotR attraction an E+ and Falcon a D+/E, that would have made a very compelling land. Much moreso than the E+/C combo in Pandora. But a single D/E attraction is a bit of a stretch.

Ojo4

Everything at this point would be inside the show building so I can't see the park being open as much of an issue. Couple reasons I could see for the difference in time:

- Disney has more people to throw at the problem in WDW then it does in DL.
- The problem was discovered at a point where things would have to be undone to fix it in DL, but these things weren't complete yet in WDW so they just have to apply the fix.
- The problem held up other work at DL which wasn't held up at WDW.

The vendor in charge of the ride vehicles are located in Orlando. That's the main reason why WDW is opening first

stretchsje

Maybe with all of the troubles they've had with the Wifi, they're switching to wire-guidance? Just a guess.
This is my thought also, that they're ditching the wireless guidance system and going back to optical. Or perhaps a bit of both. Is anyone aware of any advantage of the wireless guidance? I was surprised to hear it was ever deemed reliable enough for this type of use. Industrial drones use optical sensors to follow lines painted on the floor, very simple but very reliable (Tower of Terror does this too).

stretchsje

The vendor in charge of the ride vehicles are located in Orlando. That's the main reason why WDW is opening first
They're headquartered in Houston but have branches in both Orlando and San Diego. But I would imagine most of the work at this point has to do with sensors or software, either of which are quickly deployed.

Stripes

This is my thought also, that they're ditching the wireless guidance system and going back to optical. Or perhaps a bit of both. Is anyone aware of any advantage of the wireless guidance? I was surprised to hear it was ever deemed reliable enough for this type of use. Industrial drones use optical sensors to follow lines painted on the floor, very simple but very reliable (Tower of Terror does this too).
Tower uses wires embedded in the floor that can also communicate with the ride vehicle. For example, the wires can tell the vehicle when to stop for an e-stop. It doesn't use optical guidance.

James J

In the Parks
No
This is the worst news possible for me. I live in Zurich and I booked everything for end of October in Anaheim months ago cause they said originally June.

I am not interested in the Falcon ride and I can only afford to fly so far away every few years. Awful.

Oh well.

Booking to fly that far when no date had been confirmed was a bold move, to be fair.

croboy82

Booking to fly that far when no date had been confirmed was a bold move, to be fair.

Sure, but overseas you can't just catch a flight a few weeks before or you pay crazy money. Well the fool is me now. At least next time I'm there it'll be working for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom