Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

justintheharris

Everest cost $100 mil and from 2005-2007 the park saw a 15.7% attendance increase
At minimum, Pandora costs $500 mil and from 2016-2018 the park saw a 26.8% increase. Not insignificant by any means, but not as efficient as Everest.

Ticket prices, inflation? And once again, Pandora is still bringing in new visitors. Animal Kingdom is still riding that wave.

starri42

My back of the envelope math says that assuming every new guest payed the low season rate, Animal Kingdom made an additional $130 million between 2017-2018. That's before you factor in the downstream income, from drinks at Pongu Pongu and the toy banshees, or the upstream ones, like increased resort occupancy and parking fees.

Just so I'm showing my work, that's just based off the difference in ticket prices since the opening of Everest, less inflation That's not even the raw number of receipts. I want to crunch the numbers for Everest, but I'd need to dig more to find the attendance numbers from that time period, because they're not as easily available.

Bender123

Pretty much nothing ran reliably to begin with!

Nothing ran reliably at the end either...there was about a five year sweet spot where everything still worked. I love the sad story of the Elasmosaur in the pool that seemed to progressively develop worse and worse arthritis until it was basically comatose. Your video would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Add in the battery failures, dead effects, the door accident and various other show issues and you have a bad time.

For as bad as GMR was at the end, UoE was many times worse.

AVAC Juice

I've heard horror stories about the maintenance issues of the turntables for both UOE and JII. It's insane those things ever moved to begin with. It's always a treat when I get to talk to old Epcot imagineers - their stories are absolutely riveting.
Those stories are riviting.

They were an amazing bunch. I've heard dozens of hours of Imagineering interviews by the greats.

Tony Baxter has been incredibly generous with his time, particularly in the podcast realm.

The best and brightest. Hired for sheer talent!

Not hired because WED Imagineering needed X amount of people who look like this or X amount that look like that.

A diversity portfolio in lieu of talent and creative force was never a driving Company mandate with EPCOT.

Force>Farce . Farce =Joke.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

IP attractions pray on familiarity and they're primary benefit is a year one marketing push. The Disney parks need to utilize IPs where they are most appropriate. It seems that under Iger they think about the IP first as opposed to the area it's going into. It needs to be the other way around if you want to avoid diluting themes and producing a subpar product.

Frozen Ever After is a perfect example of this. This would be a welcome Fantasyland C-ticket attraction and a better fit thematically than World Showcase. The actual quality of the attraction is affected by the disconnect in the theme. You can argue that "who really cares", but historically Disney absolutely did care about this.
Frozen was a massive box office hit that no one expected. Frozen Ever After as a C-Ticket Fantasyland attraction will no longer fly in contemporary theme parks. I just don't get why we are left with only 1 option when there are many options. Disney didn't do anything to milk that phenomenon for over a year. The theme park attractions came much later. I went to the Frozen meet and greet at Magic Kingdom, the sing-a-long at California Adventure, and the subsequent musical version at DCA too. Harry Potter changed the equation that grand single-IP lands are possible.

We already forget that 4 princesses were already showcased at Akersus for the character meals, Mulan and Dragon at China Pavilion, Snow White at German Pavilion.

The Norway Pavilion was the right opportunity at the right time and it fell on Disney's lap when the Norway government gave up on it. Corporate and Government sponsorships are on the way out. Government can't afford. Corporations no longer see the marketing advantage. This is Disney's theme parks and there's ultimately only one corporate sponsorship that is Disney. Frozen needed a bigger place to showcase itself. It became the theme at Norway.

Authenticity is still possible. It just get blurred.

Last edited:

ObscurityPoint

So I’m sure we’ll have most of our questions answered at D23 in August, but my broad guess is that Inside Out will 100% be integrated into Epcot, yet Figment will remain as a significant mascot of the park, somehow.

Inspired Figment

So I’m sure we’ll have most of our questions answered at D23 in August, but my broad guess is that Inside Out will 100% be integrated into Epcot, yet Figment will remain as a significant mascot of the park, somehow.
Yeah.. just like what happened in 1999... the rumor was Figment would be implemented to be the “mascot” of Epcot. And they changed the ride to a supposedly “popular” film IP ride (proven by Honey I Shrunk the Audience’s “success”) , a Honey, I Shrunk the Kids/Audience themed ride called Journey into Your Imagination. And they continued to sell Figment merchandise within the park, despite that. But then all the sudden when he disappeared, merchandise sales dropped and people were angry he disappeared from the ride entirely. This is literally a cycle and it shocks me no one else has realized it yet.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

*ahem*

👀

Figments Friend

Tony Baxter has been incredibly generous with his time, particularly in the podcast realm.

Even more so when you have the opportunity ( or several ) to meet him in person.

And enjoy a couple of very long dinners with him....
And visit certain locations....
And maybe experience certain Attractions with him....
And....

The mans generosity with his time and insights knows no bounds.
Tony is the key to unlock the hidden worlds of the very highest imaginative creativity.

:)

-

Last edited:

Disnerd2003

Even more so when you have the opportunity ( or several ) to meet him in person.

And....

Tony is the key to unlock the hidden worlds of the very highest imaginative creativity.

-
Tony is such a genuinely nice dude. Met him at Disneyland and when I completely fangirled out (as an adult man haha) he invited me to ride a few rides (Indiana Jones was the coolest to experience with him) and it's something I'll never forget. He and Joe Rohde (whom I have also met and walked around Pandora with) are some of the coolest, most chill people ever.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

And....

-
Why did they get rid of him??

bcoachable

Tony is such a genuinely nice dude. Met him at Disneyland and when I completely fangirled out (as an adult man haha) he invited me to ride a few rides (Indiana Jones was the coolest to experience with him) and it's something I'll never forget. He and Joe Rohde (whom I have also met and walked around Pandora with) are some of the coolest, most chill people ever.
Wow!! Such fantastic luck!! That gave me a fun idea for a new thread: “if you ran into Tony Baxter, what ride would you ask him to ride with you on and why”
How are you with picking lottery ticket numbers, by the way??!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom