Insanity Pricing Officially Reached

GoofGoof

Premium Member
ITS crowded because of short staffing, not because «high prices» are working
I’m not buying that. Maybe an individual ride can have a longer wait due to less capacity being utilized or a restaurant can seem more crowded because the place next door is closed but the raw number of guests at WDW isn’t down despite large price increases, it’s steady or up depending on the time of year. Disney publicly discloses both park attendance and hotel occupancy. Independent places like touring plans track crowd levels too and I haven’t seen any signs of declining guests reported at WDW yet. Now if we are are talking DL this summer that does look like a big problem for TWDC but it may be a temporary speed bump.

disneyworlddad

We go to WDW twice a year (at least) for a week each time. We do table service meals, we buy souvenirs, we drink the alcohol, we stay in the moderate or deluxe resorts (usually) I'm sure Disney wouldn't notice if we, as 3 repeat guests who usually spend about $10,000 per trip, stopped going but we are the type of repeat guests they like. We spend spend spend while we're there. Do we spend as much as a one and done customer? Probably not, but we spend a good amount.

I'm pretty sure you are the customer Disney Loves! You are dropping between $20k to $30k in a year.

PolynesianPrincess

The parks are “crazy crowded” many times of the year now and just “really crowded” the rest of the time. Imagine how crowded it would be without the price increases driving people away. I’d still rather pay less, but if it thins the herd a little I guess that’s a silver lining. Of course there is enough land for a 5th and 6th gate so that’s another way to fight crowds.

If only the prices increases WERE thinning the herd. If they are, it's not thinning out as quickly as we would like. Parks are still crazy busy in seasons where it used to be slow. And I see A LOT more school aged kids in September than we used to see. I hear from all my friends how schools are more strict about letting kids out of school for vacations, yet there are SOOOO many kids there when they SHOULD be in school... idk!

BuddyThomas

If only the prices increases WERE thinning the herd. If they are, it's not thinning out as quickly as we would like.
I didn't read this entire thread, but just to be clear.....are you saying that you want prices raised high enough that a "herd" of non-wealthy people can just go play in the mud outside the parks instead? If so, that's pretty despicable, particularly since you are bragging about spewing $10,000 per trip on other threads. Good for you if you can afford that, but seriously, what in holy hell is your motive in posting such things? Just bragging? Making other people feel bad that they cannot do the same thing? Or......?

eliza61nyc

word of mouth. Being a walking salesman for Disney to friends, co workers, and strangers. Loyal, happy, repeat customers are the best thing Disney can have. Of course if Disney keeps it up these same repeat customers will tell everyone that Disney World is not worth coming to with all the price increases and lowering of quality.

humm, maybe. I would totally agree with you IF the mouse world where a smaller company. the reason why I say this is because and I am in total awe of the mouseworlds marketing, but Disney has made themselves almost a national institution in the minds of families. Seriously. It is now almost a right of passage to take your kids to Disney at least once. They have injected themselves into national psyche. You literally have to now convince people that they will not die without Disney

The second problem is they have an endless supply. as long as folks keep having kids, they've got a constant regeneration.

they do have happy repeat customers. look at it this way, in this thread, right here that we are talking on, the OP listed a laundry list of stuff that he felt was worth complaining and in the very next breathe he said he's going back. lol now if that ain't loyalty I don't know what is.

lastly, and now this is just my brain firing, as we get older and new generations come in, expectations change. My son's are use to paying 4 dollars for a bottle of coke and 20 bucks for a hamburger meal at vacation and sports venues so Disney prices are not shocking to them. Same with the parking fees. most younger folks who do any type of traveling anywhere see parking fees ALL the time, so they aren't getting their knickers in a knot because of it. now of course we get upset because we remember when it was free but as we die off, it becomes more and more of a memory. sort of like when my father talks about how getting on the train use to be 0.15cents or the price of gas.
I could care less that gasoline was under a buck in 1960, I care about what the price is now (just using that as an example)

Last edited:

John park hopper

word of mouth. Being a walking salesman for Disney to friends, co workers, and strangers. Loyal, happy, repeat customers are the best thing Disney can have. Of course if Disney keeps it up these same repeat customers will tell everyone that Disney World is not worth coming to with all the price increases and lowering of quality.

Repeat customers are free advertising for Disney and I would think contribute to many new guests. However with the continued price increases, over crowding, decline in food quality. etc the reverse can be true. Repeat customers may no longer be an advocate for Disney. As long time Disney guest over many years when asked how was our Disney trip I voices my concerns. I would never say it is not worth it --that's an individuals decision. Yes many repeat guests complain and continue to go but at some point they will stop

Disstevefan1

I was planning on reserving a tent camp site for March 2020. But for $143/night, they can keep it. We'll stay off site.

$143 a night to pitch your own tent. Save time and throw your money directly into the campfire.

The prices are crazy. Its great you are staying off site. You do get much better value off site. There are many high quality off site options for much less.

Vampyr

I'm not sure if this article has been posted in this thread yet, but this opinion article from the Orlando Sentinel hits the nail right on the head.

My favorite line from the article that pretty much sums up price hikes:

"Mickey wants tourists — a family of four who will stay for five nights and drop $5,000 on a package that includes hotels and meals and character meet-and-greets. Not cheap locals who sneak in Ziploc bags full of Froot Loops and warm Capri Suns."

Last edited:

OneofThree

"Mickey wants tourists — a family of four who will stay for five nights and drop $5,000 on a package that includes hotels and meals and character meet-and-greets. Not cheap locals who sneak in Ziploc bags full of Froot Loops and warm Capri Suns."

Easy deal -significant AP rate increase for residents (of which I happen to be one), and significant reduction of employee access. Done.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm not sure if this article has been posted in this thread yet, but this opinion article from the Orlando Sentinel hits the nail right on the head.

Scott obviously didn't do his homework if he thinks a family of four can stay for five nights and drop $5,000. The family vacationing for $5,000 is the family who's budget forces them to bring bags of froot loops and capri suns.

Staying for five nights the second week of September at Riverside, with 6 day park hopper and regular dining plan, family of 5 is $6,000. There are no value resorts available. $5400 if you can suffer through quick service all week.

He's confusing locals with budget vacationers.

Last edited:

Jayhawker

I like not driving at Disney. When we priced renting compared to 2 trips with lyft a day, the lyft was- comparable price wise, and I can buy my cocktails, and never have to take a tram, or remember where I parked, or pay parking fees.

Yes, I can certainly see your point there. Taking the trams and remembering where you parked are two of the drawbacks for sure. Also, like you said, Lyft/Uber will usually be cheaper than renting. However, if I can find a good deal on a car, I will usually go that direction.

daisyduckie

Scott obviously didn't do his homework if he thinks a family of four can stay for five nights and drop $5,000. The family vacationing for $5,000 is the family who's budget forces them to bring bags of froot loops and capri suns.

Staying for five nights the second week of September at Riverside, with 6 day park hopper and regular dining plan, family of 5 is $6,000. There are no value resorts available. $5400 if you can suffer through quick service all week.

Actually, I just entered in a family of 4 on the Disney site, and you can get 5 nights at a value with tickets for $2528. So $5000 once you add in food is doable.

I'm more offended by being charged $5.75 for an ice cream bar. Even if it is shaped like Mickey.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Actually, I just entered in a family of 4 on the Disney site, and you can get 5 nights at a value with tickets for $2528. So $5000 once you add in food is doable.
When you factor in food and potentially airfare it’s going to be pretty close to $5K. Anything other than value is going to be north of $5K.

I think the take away from the article is that Disney wants to increase the spending per person. Crowds are already high most of the year so now instead of focusing on bringing in more guests each day they want to increase what profit they get out of each guest. That’s why we see all the upcharge events and the price increases. They want to eliminate the budget guests who spend less. Whether that’s a local with an AP or someone staying offsite at a motel 6 on international dive.

It makes sense from a business prospective at a time when things are going well, but when the economy slows and you need those wam bodies back in the parks to cover the fixed costs of being open it may not be as easy to get them back.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

I'm more offended by being charged $5.75 for an ice cream bar. Even if it is shaped like Mickey.

If you can find a room at a value, the week of my search there were no value rooms available. That doesn't sound like it includes food though.

eliza61nyc

Lol, and yet when a few of us say they very same thing we're told how "unsustainable" that is. 😁. Oh well, we will see.

Disorbust

“My son’s generation doesn’t have the same love for Disney because he hasn’t been able to be there.”

So they can make their profit now but will it be sustainable? Say 10-20yrs when this generation grows up with a one and done trip, not creating a tradition or nostalgia. The birth rate is shrinking. And how will it effect their furture work force? The kids of the well off families who can afford to keep visiting, are they really going to do a CP? Even my stone cold hearted CPA daughter who's constant matra is "Disney needs to be responsible to its shareholders"came back from visiting her CM sister and said that its over the top expensive for what you get.

PolynesianPrincess

I didn't read this entire thread, but just to be clear.....are you saying that you want prices raised high enough that a "herd" of non-wealthy people can just go play in the mud outside the parks instead? If so, that's pretty despicable, particularly since you are bragging about spewing $10,000 per trip on other threads. Good for you if you can afford that, but seriously, what in holy hell is your motive in posting such things? Just bragging? Making other people feel bad that they cannot do the same thing? Or......?

OK first off BUDDY, you need to chill. Maybe next time you SHOULD read the entire thread so you wouldn't sound so ignorant. I was simply making a point that people are thinking Disney raising prices will stop people from going but that is NOT the case. Crowds are larger than ever so if Disney's price increases were to "thin out the herd" it isn't working. Would I love to see the parks less crowded? You betcha. So would most of the people who go to Disney. Do I want people to be priced out? Nope. Why? Because MY FAMILY is on the verge of getting priced out and some family members already HAVE been priced out. And second of all, and this ties into my first point, I wasn't BRAGGING. I was simply pointing out that not all APs are as stingy as some people like to think. Not bragging what-so-ever considering we don't ALWAYS stay deluxe, we don't ALWAYS splurge for the expensive meals.. We are by NO means wealthy.. NOT EVEN CLOSE. We save for our trips and are very frugal with other things. VERY frugal. We skimp on other things so we can enjoy our Disney trips. And the fact you're attacking me on an internet post over a comment you clearly misunderstood and assuming I am wealthy when you know NOTHING about me shows me you have zero class.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was simply making a point that people are thinking Disney raising prices will stop people from going but that is NOT the case. Crowds are larger than ever so if Disney's price increases were to "thin out the herd" it isn't working.

Actually, people are indeed blaming, in part, the higher prices for Disneyland's current doldrums.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom