News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

Club Cooloholic

Again, you are mis-informed. Coronado does not have the Skyliner.

And i'm fairly certain there are people who appreciate CSR just as much as you appreciate every other resort. And people who despise other resorts more.
First, misinformed...again? Second,
Ah you are right, I don't know how I am confusing this and the Riveria...must be something right?🤔
Third, I have no problem with CSR...my issue is with this tower, lacking the personality the rest of the resort has.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Again, you are mis-informed. Coronado does not have the Skyliner.

And i'm fairly certain there are people who appreciate CSR just as much as you appreciate every other resort. And people who despise other resorts more.
I see we’re stuck back in the same rut. We like it. Others do not.

In the meantime, everyone who is actually there this very moment is blown away.

lazyboy97o

My guess is a marketing fail. For example, I don't see much, if any, Mexican influence on the Gran Destino design...I think they just threw that in because it's at Coronado Springs.

ETA: From their blog post. "From jaw-dropping chandeliers to beautiful Spanish tiles, murals and wall patterns, Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort honors the rich cultures and landscapes of Spain, Mexico, and the American Southwest.

That's a 'big picture' statement about the resort itself. My comments are about the Gran Destino design, for those who might find the design 'vague' or are perhaps unfamiliar with Gaudi's architectural style.
The wide variety of descriptions apply just to the tower and are not limited to Disney. This very thread is full of people making different and even changing descriptions.

Guadí has been mentioned as a common influence, but it’s hard to say it is the main concept when the design is dominated by rectangular spaces. The more ovaloid and organic shapes are largely limited to interior decoration.

Slov72

The wide variety of descriptions apply just to the tower and are not limited to Disney. This very thread is full of people making different and even changing descriptions.

Guadí has been mentioned as a common influence, but it’s hard to say it is the main concept when the design is dominated by rectangular spaces. The more ovaloid and organic shapes are largely limited to interior decoration.
I actually heard from a few vloggers in their reporting that Gaudi and the Disney/Salvador Dali film Destino are both major influences in the tower.

Bocabear

I actually heard from a few vloggers in their reporting that Gaudi and the Disney/Salvador Dali film Destino are both major influences in the tower.
Wow, If that is true, then it is an epic fail because the spaces I have seen evoke neither... Maybe a tiny bit of a nod to Gaurdi, but do not see the Dali influence at all. The concept art had a completely different color scheme and felt a little more Gaudi than the actual finished product...

Missing20K

Just like the Gran Destino is savaged for being seen like a Vegas hotel: "I've seen it elsewhere, therefor, it ain't Disney!!!" And I've seen most of Disney's deluxe resorts elsewhere. And they ain't "Disney" originals.
Most other points were addressed but if I may make one additional. This resort would be very en pointe had the theme been a Vegas resort.
And the Contemporary fails by that metric.
How so? Were there many other A-Frame Brutalist hotels constructed at the time? With a modular room configuration? Seems pretty "contemporary" for the time. If the Contemporary has any critique, is that it's perhaps too much a product of it's time.....it is/was too contemporary. ;)
Casa Batlló on the left. Note the parabolic arch in the background and the color scheme, particularly the tiles. Gran Destino on the right.
View attachment 388331View attachment 388332
Park Güell mosaic tiles on the left. Gran Destino Barcelona Lounge stained glass on the right.
View attachment 388333View attachment 388336
Catenary arches, not parabolas. Though the Tower has both parabolas and extremely stretched half-ellipses scattered elsewhere in a crude attempt at recreation.

Mosaics are not exclusive to Catalan Modernism so I'm not sure one simply looking like the other creates a cohesive theme and story for the guest to absorb across the entire resort.

dreday3

Wow, If that is true, then it is an epic fail because the spaces I have seen evoke neither... Maybe a tiny bit of a nod to Gaurdi, but do not see the Dali influence at all. The concept art had a completely different color scheme and felt a little more Gaudi than the actual finished product...

Now I know you aren't serious. There are nods to Destino all over the resort. In the photos, wall treatments, art work...you're just joshing us! :cool:

SorcererMC

I get what you're saying. What's problematic is that Disney is using the new build to redefine and retrofit the thematic concept of Coronado Springs.

Thomas Mazloum, Senior VP, WDW Resorts: “The amazing Gran Destino Tower standing behind us is truly the centerpiece of our newly reimagined Coronado Springs Resort,“ said Mazloum at the grand opening ceremony. “It serves as a gateway to our newly reimagined resort and it’s going to focus on serving leisure and business guests alike,” he added.

“In Spanish, ‘coronado’ means ‘the crowned one,’ and today it’s exciting to celebrate the crowning glory of this beautiful resort,” said Vanessa Rosas, ambassador alumna for Walt Disney World during an introduction at the ceremony. “The reimagination [of the resort] blends contemporary design with the rich cultures of Spain, Mexico and the American Southwest.”

It's Spanish Riviera meets Mexican Riviera. Just pretend that Lago Dorado is the Atlantic Ocean and that Barcelona is in Mexico.
Problem solved. /s 😬.

Slov72

I get what you're saying. What's problematic is that Disney is using the new build to redefine and retrofit the thematic concept of Coronado Springs.

Thomas Mazloum, Senior VP, WDW Resorts: “The amazing Gran Destino Tower standing behind us is truly the centerpiece of our newly reimagined Coronado Springs Resort,“ said Mazloum at the grand opening ceremony. “It serves as a gateway to our newly reimagined resort and it’s going to focus on serving leisure and business guests alike,” he added.

“In Spanish, ‘coronado’ means ‘the crowned one,’ and today it’s exciting to celebrate the crowning glory of this beautiful resort,” said Vanessa Rosas, ambassador alumna for Walt Disney World during an introduction at the ceremony. “The reimagination [of the resort] blends contemporary design with the rich cultures of Spain, Mexico and the American Southwest.”

It's Spanish Riviera meets Mexican Riviera. Just pretend that Lago Dorado is the Atlantic Ocean and that Barcelona is in Mexico.
Problem solved. /s 😬.
At this point they probably want to just shift the focus to Spanish in general, but they are stuck with the Temple pool.

note2001

First, misinformed...again? Second,
Ah you are right, I don't know how I am confusing this and the Riveria...must be something right?🤔
Third, I have no problem with CSR...my issue is with this tower, lacking the personality the rest of the resort has.
Don't worry on it. From the moment they announced both new structures I started confusing them with each other. Truly though, there is nothing that screams "Hi, I'm unique!" about either from the "on paper" pov.

Once I've had a chance to walk around one or both areas I'm sure I'll never get them confused again.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, July 10, 2019. Beautiful photos by @wdwmagic. Thanks for the great overview.
Here are a few other surprises, or hidden areas, that I found.

The plaza at the back of Gran Destino Tower, overlooking the lake, has a large expanse of artificial turf and a long, wooden seating area, with colorful tiles on the back of the seating benches.

Edit: While some may cringe at the artificial turf here, it was installed in the "back yard" of the Boardwalk Resort about two years ago and is very successful. The original grass in the Boardwalk Resort area was hard to maintain and muddy after a rain shower. Now with artificial turf, families actually picnic there, and the kids love running around there in the evening.

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

In one corner of the back plaza, there is a fire pit.

IMG_1542.JPG

From the top floor lounge balcony, here's the view of the Gran Destino Tower entrance. The fountain in the front is still being installed.

IMG_1551.JPG

You've already seen the high-tech elevator touch screens in the elevator lobbies. After you select the floor, the screen changes to show which of the six elevators (A through F) will be arriving, and which direction to turn, from your current position, to see the elevator opening for you. Of interest, once inside the elevator, there are no push buttons to select another floor or to change your mind.

IMG_1557.JPG

On the second floor lobby (check-in level), at the north end of the lobby, there is an opening to this "reading room" with a plaque on the wall. Looks like a "board room" with no door.

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

Between the indoor walkway between the original check-in lobby and the new Gran Destino Tower, there is a side door that leads to this patio space between the buildings.

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Last edited:

Sam Magic

Problem solved. /s 😬.
Spot on.

My personal view is that this is lazy and neglects the diversity of Barcelona and Mexico's culture and art. Two vastly different cultures. The only thing that barely ties them together is the Spanish language (but even Catalan's largely speak Catalonian and not Spanish)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom