News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

Missing20K

Here we go again but now a new descriptor - assertively themed. The hotel's theme has been interpreted by the corporation. Whether you like it or not is your prerogative. But the truth is there is no standard for measuring the Disneyness of a Disney resort hotel - it's in the eye of the beholder.
Wait, is the theme interpreted by the corporation? Or is it in the eye of the beholder?

Club Cooloholic

I think it's a shame they have closed the original check in area. I get that the lines are not as bad with people doing online check in, but still, you added a big tower, maybe have two separate areas. Plus, I thought that these hotels tried to tell a story, I guess the first chapters of the CSR story are now ripped out? I did not love the idea of the tower, but thought, ok just try and not look at it, now it appears you will be forced to go IN it. Its just so bland looking.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think it's a shame they have closed the original check in area. I get that the lines are not as bad with people doing online check in, but still, you added a big tower, maybe have two separate areas. Plus, I thought that these hotels tried to tell a story, I guess the first chapters of the CSR story are now ripped out? I did not love the idea of the tower, but thought, ok just try and not look at it, now it appears you will be forced to go IN it.
Yes the tower is now the main center of the guest services, with the original area now being shopping and dining.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here is a detailed photo gallery of Toledo at Gran Destino

I like the Star Wars tie-in with blaster scorch marks on the wall...

On a serious note, very aesthetically pleasing (to me). Compare to the mess that is Maria & Enzo's...

Skipper Dan

Here we go again but now a new descriptor - assertively themed. The hotel's theme has been interpreted by the corporation. Whether you like it or not is your prerogative. But the truth is there is no standard for measuring the Disneyness of a Disney resort hotel - it's in the eye of the beholder.

I think when the aesthetic matches that of the modern, standard hotel, it can be justifiably perceived as lacking “Disneyness”.

surfsupdon

The current pool is a 2 min walk. It doesn't get much closer.
I agree with you about proximity. But my concern is the crowds. A lot more rooms were added at this property. They increased food options, but did not increase pool/deck space.

I think of the olden days before Beach Club Villas how much more quiet Yacht&Beach were. Stormalong Bay wasn’t designed for the additional DVC wing. And think of how many less people were on the monorail before DVC at contemp, poly, and grand flo. Many more people are being added but services are not growing as fast.

dreday3

Okay! I found one criticism. From what's being reported.....there's no WDW Today resort TV channel???

That bums me out if true. :(

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This would run in contrast to what Disney has told us for a few decades now.

They've told us that the standard measure of the Disneyness of a Disney resort hotel comes in how much more immersive the theming is compared to non-Disney resorts. That is the metric. They've told us this every time they talk about a hotel, a land, a restaurant. What sets Disney apart is the immersive theming. It is Disney by fundamentally not being something you would find off property.

Is this objectively a nice hotel? Yes it is. Some bits are a little too gaudy for my personal taste, and if they're going for a Catalan theme--or Gaudi--they've missed the mark, but objectively it is a nice hotel. I would be proud to have this in my city or really any city in America. But ask yourself, aside from the odd hidden mickey or abstract portrait of Walt, can you honestly say you can't see this resort existing off property? I can't. This hotel fits perfectly into a worrying trend that has developed in American architecture of "anywhereness". This hotel could be anywhere, it is void of true space, place, or time. That alone divorces it from the Disney brand.

Some of you might, and have said, that this is not important. That these are little things that no one notices. That no one really cares about this stuff. And sure, you'd be right. But since 1955, what has set Disney apart is that they care; they care about the little things no one notices or cares about. It seems with this resort, and other choices they've made, they have joined the chorus of convention they previously shunned and abandoned their care. Why go the extra mile when you can just about make it across the finish line?

Beyond this hotel just look at the Marvel Land in Disneyland Paris. Recently concept art for the original plan leaked showing a New York themed street with high detail and immersive place making. Compare that to what Disney is actually building; a rather bland and lightly themed "futuristic" warehouses.

Proposed:
View attachment 388098

Actual:
View attachment 388099

Disney is still above what other resorts like Six Flags would do, but it's not longer meeting the standards it has set for 65 years.
Anyone complaining about Gran Destino clearly hasn't seen the Disneyland Hotel tower complex...

voodoo321

This would run in contrast to what Disney has told us for a few decades now.

They've told us that the standard measure of the Disneyness of a Disney resort hotel comes in how much more immersive the theming is compared to non-Disney resorts. That is the metric. They've told us this every time they talk about a hotel, a land, a restaurant. What sets Disney apart is the immersive theming. It is Disney by fundamentally not being something you would find off property.

Is this objectively a nice hotel? Yes it is. Some bits are a little too gaudy for my personal taste, and if they're going for a Catalan theme--or Gaudi--they've missed the mark, but objectively it is a nice hotel. I would be proud to have this in my city or really any city in America. But ask yourself, aside from the odd hidden mickey or abstract portrait of Walt, can you honestly say you can't see this resort existing off property? I can't. This hotel fits perfectly into a worrying trend that has developed in American architecture of "anywhereness". This hotel could be anywhere, it is void of true space, place, or time. That alone divorces it from the Disney brand.

Some of you might, and have said, that this is not important. That these are little things that no one notices. That no one really cares about this stuff. And sure, you'd be right. But since 1955, what has set Disney apart is that they care; they care about the little things no one notices or cares about. It seems with this resort, and other choices they've made, they have joined the chorus of convention they previously shunned and abandoned their care. Why go the extra mile when you can just about make it across the finish line?

Beyond this hotel just look at the Marvel Land in Disneyland Paris. Recently concept art for the original plan leaked showing a New York themed street with high detail and immersive place making. Compare that to what Disney is actually building; a rather bland and lightly themed "futuristic" warehouses.

Proposed:
View attachment 388098

Actual:
View attachment 388099

Disney is still above what other resorts like Six Flags would do, but it's not longer meeting the standards it has set for 65 years.
That eloquently sums up what I feel. Far more ably than I can express.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom