Next Gen Busses

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you guys stop trying to elevate this theme park stuff to some kind of highbrow hobby, you won’t have to be mad at cartoons that belong there.

Yeah, it's all just dumb random stuff they do that lead to their success. I mean, if people would just stop trying to think about what works or what is successful.. so many more people would able to duplicate Disney!

*rolleyes*

flynnibus

Premium Member
Was that a response?

I guess you’re all out of cogent arguments.

I'm sorry, you thought your retort was going to get something serious? I always try my hardest when the other side doesn't even comprehend the reason the whole concept exists.... oh wait, no I don't.

Just buy a cocktail and keep rollin as you do.

Ricky Spanish

Not to mention that if one spelled "bus" as "buss" so as to rhyme with "truss" or "fuss", you have non-rhyming counter-pronunciations in "puss" and "wuss".

English is stupid.

• Moe: "Hey, don't saw the wings. You saw the garage."
  • Curly: "I see the garage, but I don't saw the garage. You are speaking incorrectly. You are moirdering the King's English! Et cetera. See? Saw? See? Saw?

Tom Morrow

Thematic and not tacky, feels appropriate for a world class resort, turns an ordinary bus into a classy vintage style bus, has characters but they're not just slapped on like a giant logo:

Disneys-Magical-Express-Bus-NEW-2.jpg

Branding:

newbuses.jpg

It's kind of like comparing a fully thematic environment, to Pixar Pier, where ordinary rides get signage and a new paint colors and now they're "Pixar themed"

TrainsOfDisney

I personally don’t like the new design. If you like the design, I’m interested in hearing your point of view.

But don’t come on to a Disney world fan / discussion site and talk down to people for... gasp! Discussing disney designs and details!

Every detail at Disney matters / used to matter. John Hench designed the Grand Floridian with 5 shades of white. That’s wayy more small of a detail than the bus designs.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well I’ve never seen static clings in an art museum.....
And then there's acrylic paint...

End of the day, it's a bus and it's going to the park.

Want to go to the park?

Get on the bus.

Object enough to the graphics on the bus that you'll indignantly refuse to ride it?

Call a Minnie Van... take the boat... walk... or go sit by the pool.

Meanwhile, we'll all be riding Pirates.

Last edited:

phillip9698

Thematic and not tacky, feels appropriate for a world class resort, turns an ordinary bus into a classy vintage style bus, has characters but they're not just slapped on like a giant logo:

View attachment 387971

Branding:

View attachment 387972

It's kind of like comparing a fully thematic environment, to Pixar Pier, where ordinary rides get signage and a new paint colors and now they're "Pixar themed"

First one looks like it belongs to the resort or cruise line and is part of the vacation experience, the second one looks like Disney bought ad space on the local bus anywhere in the country.

Tony the Tigger

View attachment 387971

Branding:

View attachment 387972

Yes, branding/marketing. One simple design with an oversized point of focus is more effective than a “scene.”

Missing20K

I'm of the belief that well executed themed environments and the details contained therein and the design and creation of such spaces can certainly rise to the level of what could be considered "high art".

I also am of the belief that even you are aware that the oversized characters at the Value resorts and elsewhere pale in comparison to the work of Koons and Oldenburg.

:D

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yes, branding/marketing. One simple design with an oversized point of focus is more effective than a “scene.”
IMO, subtlety has a much more persuasive effect versus an extremely direct approach. The buses should be viewed as more than just, "a way to get to the parks". They are an ancillary component to a larger theme. It should not require high brow design either, but something more clever than "big and in your face" would be nice. Again, just my opinion.

Tony the Tigger

IMO, subtlety has a much more persuasive effect versus an extremely direct approach. The buses should be viewed as more than just, "a way to get to the parks". They are an ancillary component to a larger theme. It should not require high brow design either, but something more clever than "big and in your face" would be nice. Again, just my opinion.

And that’s fine, too. I don’t think they spent a year internally debating this. There was likely $x budget for buses and they could either go with the same, or minor changes.

mgf

Are these wraps even confirmed? Isn't it possible this is proof of concept -- even possibly a vendor concept?

Nottamus

sheesh! had a few minutes and read the entire thread just now....

solution...those who hate the design, when it comes around the corner to pick you up, close your eyes and walk on that way. Or wait until next bus, freeing up a seat for others.

for those who like....no change. have a good ride

The term 'lazy' has been used here...wouldn't 'lazy' be not doing anything at all?

have a great day.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You mean like the minnie car service? Where the name and style is a cute play on 'minnie mouse'? That's a far better fit to the classic Disney. Hell, apply that concept to the buses where the paint and panels somehow fit or projects the character's iconic design elements. Instead of 'PLACE BIG HEAD HERE'

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Does the wrap on the outside of the bus detract from your experience riding inside it?
If they removed the exterior (outside) theme from resorts such as Animal Kingdom Lodge, Poly, etc and replaced it with huge character portraits, would it detract from the experience you have in your actual room? Probly not, but there is a mutual connection between the two that creates layers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm of the belief that well executed themed environments and the details contained therein and the design and creation of such spaces can certainly rise to the level of what could be considered "high art".

I also am of the belief that even you are aware that the oversized characters at the Value resorts and elsewhere pale in comparison to the work of Koons and Oldenburg.

:D

Well... yes and no.

The playing around with scale in representational art has been with humanity since the beginning of humanity with the making of miniatures and colossals. Certainly, changes of scale can be done for practical reasons: to fit on a small wall or scroll, or to be able to be seen from a great distance. But the change of scale can also be done for impact, whether they are collectible miniatures, or a giant statue of your tyrant of choice that you're forced to pass under.

Koons takes the ancient practice of enlargement and the novelty he imparts is photo-realism rather than a granite representation, and the use of mundane objects. It's a commentary on the traditional colossae and a post-modern wink (and copyright infringement at times). That's what makes what he does as "art."

What Disney does is really quite similar. It blows up its brand to make them literally larger than life. Sure, they could have has a 5 inch Woody doll or a 2 foot Tramp statue scattered around, but, the oversized statues were meant for impact, which is the definition of art. Using them at resorts that are dedicated to pop themes: cinema and rock/sports stars, it is en pointe.

Bringing this back to the new bus wraps, the oversized portraits are purposely oversized for that same kind of impact. And then this becomes a case of de gustibus, non disputandum.

lazyboy97o

You mean like the minnie car service? Where the name and style is a cute play on 'minnie mouse'? That's a far better fit to the classic Disney. Hell, apply that concept to the buses where the paint and panels somehow fit or projects the character's iconic design elements. Instead of 'PLACE BIG HEAD HERE'
That’s expensive and Disney is a business. These new wraps can more easily be applied to any bus model Disney purchases. The cost of modification is significantly reduced and that is best for the shareholders, so you should be happy that old people aren’t starving because the stock suffered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom