Next Gen Busses

tissandtully

Disney: holds up a plain bus with the word “Disney” on the side.
Normal people: meh. That bus could be anywhere.

Disney: holds up (drives around local roads) a bus with a giant Mickey head on it.
Normal people: That bus could only be from Disney World/Land.

Reactions in this thread:

Disney: holds up (drives around local roads) a bus with a giant Mickey head on it.
Normal people: IS THIS FROM BUSCH GARDENS OR SOMETHING?

Tom Morrow

Normal people: That bus could only be from Disney World/Land.
Yeah but the Magical Express and Cruise Line buses have characters on them but they also have a nice, themed design that makes it clear that they’re not “ordinary” buses.

If they had to go with the “characters must now be slapped on everything” route, they could have gone for a more tasteful and less gaudy, tacky design.

tirian

I don’t mind the wraps. I’m just glad the characters are not the new animation style. I will never get over that choice for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.
I thought the same thing! If we’re going to get bus wraps that look like knockoff $5 Disney Florida tees, at least the wraps use the real character models and not the experimental style that Iger pushed for $ynergy.

FWIW, I kinda like the wraps — and I’m 100% a “traditional, classy Disney Park Experience” guy who prefers WDW over DL specifically because WDW isn’t all cartoons (yet).

FigmentFan82

I'm all for whimsical and carefree fun... throw away reality for awhile. And frankly the new wraps didn't bother me much.. frankly its just something I see as 'lazy' and not my style and walk away from. I don't need to 'fight any battles to save the buses' or something. But when people try to articulate it as good or somehow better as a theme or placemaking.. well in that academic debate, they're just wrong.

They are pretty lazy. Heck, just compare the design of the skyliners to these bus wraps. The skyliners are an example of just 'over disney-fying things'... but at least they put some effort into the concept to make it fit the purpose and co-exist at least.
Why does a simple design have to be lazy? That’s kind of a lazy complaint

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They could cut prices, rebuild 20,000 leagues, Horizons, The Great Movie Ride, build Beastly Kingdom, fix the Yeti, extend the monorail to all four parks, plus springs, and add four original e-tickets to each park, and still some people would complain.

What?! You're not going to add the dynamite scene to BTMR?! Unbelievable!! SMH

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The plural of bus is buses. A variant plural, busses, is also given in the dictionary, but has become so rare that it seems like an error to many people.
Nevertheless, buses is problematic: it looks like fuses, but doesn’t rhyme with it. Abuses doesn’t rhyme in two different possible ways: the noun with the \s\ sound or the verb with the \z\ sound. Words that do rhyme with bus are usually spelled with a double s, like fusses or trusses.

Until 1961, 'busses' was the preferred plural of 'bus' in Merriam-Webster dictionaries. But the word 'buss' is a synonym of 'kiss'. Perhaps it's just as well that 'buses' took over.

Confusing the issue is the word buss, a synonym of kiss which could make for some funny interpretations of parking signs for buses. Buss meaning “kiss” seems to have evolved from the sound of giving a kiss, whereas bus meaning “a large vehicle for carrying passengers” is an abbreviation of omnibus, their original name, from the Latin word meaning “for all.”
When the word bus was new, the two plurals were in competition, but busesovertook busses in frequency in the 1930s, and today is the overwhelming choice of writers and editors. Busses was the preferred form in Merriam-Webster dictionaries until 1961.
As for the verb bus—which may mean either "to transport someone in a bus" or "to remove dirty dishes from [as from a table]"—we do recognize bussed and bussing as variants. But the decision to buss a customer's table could cost you your job.

Not to mention that if one spelled "bus" as "buss" so as to rhyme with "truss" or "fuss", you have non-rhyming counter-pronunciations in "puss" and "wuss".

English is stupid.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Funny... people still don't understand why this...
View attachment 387634

is more appreciated and considered more desirable than this...

View attachment 387635

Because oversized statues can't make an artistic statement?

Goofyernmost

I think the lazy comment means that Disney didn't put any real imagination in the bus designs like they did in Japan, etc. The reality is that the buses are to get you to the theme park, not be the theme park and Disney uses a whole lot more effort to make it feel like a fun place to be then just about any other entertainment park in the world. What would people think about riding the cut away side International Harvester school buses used as trams from the parking lots to the entrance of Dollywood. Wooden benches across the floor to sit on. Extra comfy. Wraps are the present and, at least until something better shows up, the future. They are colorful, cheaper to produce then having designs hand painted.

flynnibus

Premium Member

A simple design that is elegant is the hardest thing to achieve. Do not confuse 'simple' and 'lazy' - they are not the same thing at all.

The pluto bus wrap is lazy. Uninspired, lacking value or add to the purpose or shape of the buses. This same design could be on a wall... and would be exactly the same thing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Opinion vs opinion.

But it’s funny you think a bronzed character statue (as if it were an important person deserving of such a statue) is preferable to the character in color.

No, it's not 'opinion' - the word you are looking for is SUBJECTIVE

But even in those spaces, there are such things as established do's and do nots that are often shared and more true than not in the subject.

Just because something is art and not science - that doesn't mean there is no order or common traits in the subject.

Tony the Tigger

No, it's not 'opinion' - the word you are looking for is SUBJECTIVE

But even in those spaces, there are such things as established do's and do nots that are often shared and more true than not in the subject.

Just because something is art and not science - that doesn't mean there is no order or common traits in the subject.

Omg here we go.

It’s not art. It’s a bus wrap. It’s commerce.

Established do’s & dont’s - come back when you’re a bus wrapping expert.

If you guys stop trying to elevate this theme park stuff to some kind of highbrow hobby, you won’t have to be mad at cartoons that belong there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom