News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

mgf

I am curious about the water feature over by the Living Seas. Any thoughts @Magic Feather @marni1971 ?? IP driven or straight ahead Non IP??

^^ This is what has me concerned about the Moana rumor.

I could live with something like these but they won't drive merch sales so....

OswaldTLR89

I so want this to be the case. It does make sense.

However the wording in the article I quoted makes me doubt it. What they said was this (I wish I could link to it):

“Guests entering the park through the it’s main gate will, in the future, navigate new pathways through sweeping greenscapes. The new design pays homage to the park’s original entrance, complete with an iconic fountain that will offer a fresh take on a classic water feature”.

Reading that over, it could mean FoN is the iconic fountain. But equally it could mean that there will be a new fountain is the fresh take on a classic water feature. 🙅‍♀️
I think it means the fountain in front of spaceship earth.

nickys

Premium Member
I think it means the fountain in front of spaceship earth.

Is what?

Do you think the new, iconic fountain is to replace the FoN? That’s how I initially read it.

But based on what Martin said, maybe the new IP one is over by The Land, leaving FoN intact. I really, really hope so.

I am curious about the water feature over by the Living Seas. Any thoughts @Magic Feather @marni1971 ?? IP driven or straight ahead Non IP??

Spash007

Is what?

Do you think the new, iconic fountain is to replace the FoN? That’s how I initially read it.

But based on what Martin said, maybe the new IP one is over by The Land, leaving FoN intact. I really, really hope so.

I believe there's three different fountains potentially - The one at the front of the park, the Moana water feature, and the potential replacement for FoN. There's a been a few different places on twitter where Disney has confirmed the current FoN is coming down.

OswaldTLR89

Is what?

i don't think they were talking about the FoN. I think they were talking about the one in the front of the park, since it is getting the
sculpture thing back according to the concept art.

Janir

I don't dispute the inspirational and aspirational goal for EPCOT Center. But Disney's business model was: We're going to build an energy pavilion and have Exxon pay for it; the Bell System will sponsor a communications pavilion; Kraft will be happy to pay for one that focuses on food and farming. They could offer 10 million or so visitors a year (a captive audience) for those corporate underwriters. Over the years, the internet and other technology has given those same companies cheaper and more expansive ways to reach their customers.

Walt Disney's original vision for his Community of Tomorrow suggested that it would always be "showcasing new technology." They tried to incorporate that into the original Communicore (and later, somewhat, in Innoventions).

I still LOVE Epcot. Horizons was my favorite pavilion. I honestly think it might still be there if its sponsor hadn't acquired its own theme park just up the road (especially since GE had such a long history of collaboration with Disney dating back to the 1964 Worlds Fair). There is no question that the park has been in decline for the last fifteen or twenty years. World Showcase, at its opening, touted three additions that have never come to fruition (Spain, Israel, and Equatorial Africa). Where there was once room to showcase 19 countries, two of those have been taken up for the Frozen expansion and Remy's Ratatouille ride. I also understand that consumer desires change. Six pavilions with slow-moving dark rides isn't in fashion any more. We want thrills along with our entertainment. I still think Disney can achieve that while at the same time inspiring creativity and innovation. I look forward to D23 and (hopefully) a better look at their vision for a new Epcot.
You've hit the nail on the head here. A large part of the EPCOT problem at this point is sponsorship model as originally designed for the park doesn't work as well as it once did. Another example, Norway stop sponsoring the Norway pavilion, Malstrom becomes Frozen the ride. Yet in Japan showcase, the Mitsukoshi group is still strong and expanding with new restaurant.
So how does Disney deal with EPCOT? They aren't getting as many sponsors willing to fork money as before. Is the Japan model the way to go with just getting outside business groups to open up some businesses with in EPCOT? Most of the WS restaurants are outside Disney owned already.
Is having some other business operations just partnering with Disney on a more as a business to business arrangement vs just advertising sponsorships the way to go forward? I can see Disney not wanting to foot the entire bill of EPCOT as it can be a very expensive proposition with out adding in IP attractions to draw in more crowds, allowing to sell more IP merch for cheap (for Disney)

Fear

Please feel free to remove the Leave a Legacy structures on the east side of the entryway whenever you have the chance to. No need to wait to coordinate with the vloggers' schedules, they will be there.

Unfounded armchair hypothesis from a guy with no insider knowledge:

They're going to keep it like this until they announce all the new Epcot stuff at D23. The next day, they wall up the remaining side of the entrance and tear it up with the intention to complete the work to what it will be like at the end, leaving Tombstones West to be pure, flat, unrestricted entrance into the park during the remodel time. Once that's done, they attack West after opening the New Epcot Entrance East.

but then again this is Disney, the who works on their own timeline so who knows...economy of movement doesn't seem to be a priority

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The consensus of insiders, including our own, is:

A new fountain at the entrance as in the artist concept of the entrance with LaL monoliths gone.​
Fountain of Nations will be gone, gone. Replaced by the beer garden. Although, there's slight indication that the beer garden is maybe being redesigned into something else.​
A new water feature with the Moana IP leading to The Seas starting where the Art of Disney currently resides.​

nickys

Premium Member

A new fountain at the entrance as in the artist concept of the entrance with LaL monoliths gone.​
Fountain of Nations will be gone, gone. Replaced by the beer garden. Although, there's slight indication that the beer garden is maybe being redesigned into something else.​
A new water feature with the Moana IP leading to The Seas starting where the Art of Disney currently resides.​

Thanks for clarifying!

But I cannot “like” this reply, I’m too sad at the loss of FoN.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I so want this to be the case. It does make sense.

However the wording in the article I quoted makes me doubt it. What they said was this (I wish I could link to it):

“Guests entering the park through the it’s main gate will, in the future, navigate new pathways through sweeping greenscapes. The new design pays homage to the park’s original entrance, complete with an iconic fountain that will offer a fresh take on a classic water feature”.

Reading that over, it could mean FoN is the iconic fountain. But equally it could mean that there will be a new fountain is the fresh take on a classic water feature. 🙅‍♀️
Is what?

I believe there's three different fountains potentially - The one at the front of the park, the Moana water feature, and the potential replacement for FoN. There's a been a few different places on twitter where Disney has confirmed the current FoN is coming down.
I'm really hoping Disney just leaked the 28th news so that the Parks Blog can announce tomorrow that the entire system will open August 1st. :hilarious:

I can't remember who, but I believe that someone credible (@Magic Feather maybe?) indicated that there could end up being other water features, perhaps further towards WS.

Amidala

FoN feels like the only "true" loss to me out of everything confirmed for demo, so it's comforting to hear they'll be building another one...But the placement of FoN was perfect & I'm a little disappointed to hear they want to stick this fountain out front. Spaceship Earth adds more than enough visual interest to that area, IMO removing the LaL tombstones and some proper landscaping is all that's really needed. Would much prefer the new fountain to inherit FoN's spot.

At least maybe it won't be a beer garden...fingers crossed.

Jon81uk

I think the rumored Moana feature isn't going to be the replacement for Fountain of Nations. Wasn't there talk of creating a water feature a la FoN that extends down toward the World Showcase promenade that would be incorporate into the new IllumiNations?

I see the Moana thing as more of a replacement of the splash pad play thing half way down the promenade.

But the classic water feature is the one on the entrance side of Space Mountain I expect, so it does sound like FoN won't get a replacement.

nickys

Premium Member
I can't remember who, but I believe that someone credible (@Magic Feather maybe?) indicated that there could end up being other water features, perhaps further towards WS.

So this exchange then, as quoted in one of my posts you just quoted? 🧐

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom